“took a chance--worked out great!”

Sagebrush Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My husband and I had not been to Taos in almost 9 years, and decided to take another chance on a "non-chain" place to stay. (Last trip doing so was AWFUL at a "lodge" down the street!!) We were pleasantly surprised! Room faced the courtyard, king-sized bed was comfy(but bring your own pillows or head down to WalMart like we did). Quiet, peaceful and clean. Staff was pleasant, Los Vaqueros restaurant has great food, and very attentive wait staff. Only hitch was when we decided to order off menu instead of the complimentary breakfast. Waitress seemed very confused, they were "out of ham" for my husband's ham & cheese omelet, must have been out of cheese also, as it was just an overcooked, folded egg! Overall, great place to stay, price was right -- we'll be staying there on any return trips.

4  Thank Cyndi F
There are newer reviews for Sagebrush Inn & Suites

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed here 2 nights and all in all it is an average hotel. The rooms were fairly clean and comfortable but it is an older hotel and it's starting to show. We prefer a hotel that has an on-site lounge and restaurant which is why we chose this place. Upon check out I didn't look over my receipt close enough before signing the final bill, so my mistake. But we were charged some additional tips from the lounge that I know I didn't add to my room because I tipped with cash. Just be sure and check your final bill!
The food in the restaurant is just average and a little over priced. The free order from the menu breakfast is also average, you get a choice of 6 items to choose from. We will try some place different next time.

2  Thank sas5464
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The hotel was nice, but they charged me the room again, after it was already paid for through Hotels.com. I have been waiting for a refund for a week now. I have colled about this twice and they are always snotty and rude.

3  Thank Dbluv2000
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My family and I just returned from a 10 day trip through the Southwest. We booked many of our hotels based on recommendations from TripAdvisor. For the most part, our experience was consistent with those of the other users here. Sagebrush was ranked 6 out of 16 hotels in Taos so we booked it. We didn't arrive until almost midnight with our kids asleep in the car. When checking in, I was told we'd be on the second floor and I requested a first floor room to save my back carrying my daughter up to bed. The desk agent took nearly 15-20 minutes (which is a lot at almost midnight) to change my room because of their "new" computer system. Finally changed, we carried the kids into what was the dirtiest, smelliest room we had stayed in our entire trip. Turned out she had given us a smoking room and it smelled so badly we could barely breathe. The carpets were filthy, the walls were cracked everywhere and there were three large spiders in the bathtub that I had to kill. Even the bathroom floor was so dirty that my wife refused to shower in the morning and just wanted to get the heck out of there. In the morning, we didn't let the kids walk around without socks on because the carpet and floors were JUST THAT DIRTY. All of the furniture (including the Murphy Bed my wife and I got stuck on) and light fixtures were a zillion years old, severely worn and had not been updated in forever. As the person in the family who makes all of our travel arrangements, I was mortified and embarrassed that I had put my family into hotel like this and if not for the fact that it was so late, the kids were already passed out and we were getting picked up at 6am to go hot air ballooning, we would have walked out of there and gone to the Comfort Suites next door. We've traveled extensively throughout the US and abroad and this was by far the filthiest hotel room we've ever stayed in. I beg you not to make the same mistake I did. DO NOT STAY at the Sagebrush Inn in Taos. You will thank me for this advice later.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Rob5555
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Arrived for our one night stay, to find out Travelocity reservation wasn't in their system. However, the clerk worked quickly and with great apologies to remedy the situation. She upgraded our room and gave us an additional discount which I think was very generous. The room was clean and had a separate sleeping area for our teenage daughters. It included a fireplace, era correct furnishings, comfortable and clean bedding. Our room faced one of the quiet and serene courtyards. I would highly recommend this hotel for someone who wants a real, New Mexico history experience. The restaurant provided a full, cooked to order breakfast with the room which was very good. I particularly liked taking the art tour of the hotel and it's owner's amusing writing style. It really gave me a sense of the history of the property, and was fun to find the art treasures in various locations. This is not the place for you if you want the cookie-cutter, chain hotel experience. Location was a short drive from the plaza, on the south side of town. The morning clerk was also very helpful in providing hiking information.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2011

My wife and I are in our 50's and attended an ARRL Rocky Mountain Division Conference held here. We stayed in room 150 in which must be in the oldest part of the hotel.

Here's are a couple of quotes from a page in the guest information booklet:

"The Sagebrush Inn was built in 1929 to provide lodging to carriage trade and Model T travelers venturing west from New York to Arizona. Helen and Frank Kentnor bought the land and built the original three story structure including the lobby and dining room."

"In the early days of the Sagebrush Inn, Georgia O'Keefe painted in the third story room during her six-month visit to Taos."

My wife is an art teacher and found the history and art collection maintained here to be of particular interest.

I thought the place was great. My wife can be somewhat persnickety and was at first put off by the rustic appearance of the room but soon warmed to it and we had a great time. The room was very clean and well maintained.

Most all the rooms have a small fireplace and you can purchase bundles of firewood if you'd like to have a fire. We did not because we were here in August. Would be great in the late fall or winter.

We had the complimentary breakfast one morning and it was pretty basic but OK. They serve you rather than having a buffet line which is nice and the coffee was good.

We ate dinner in the dining room one evening and found it too was just OK. Good salad bar. Good wine - a New Mexico Cab from Ponderosa Vineyards.

There is a lot of great cuisine on Taos so we took most of our meals elsewhere to sample the local fare.

They have an outdoor pool and hot tub but no fitness center on the premises. You can get a discounted pass ($10/day) for the Taos Spa and Tennis Club which is 0.2 mi away.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The room was charming and very clean as was the rest of the facilities. We injoyed the pool and especially liked the way the beds were seperated in the bed area. The smaller bed was set apart in its own little alcove. Perfect for us and our granddaughter. The breakfast was the highlight. The reasonable rate included a cook to order breakfast in the dinning room that was great. Our waiter, Pedro took great care of us and the food was delicous. It's a little older facility but that's part of its charm. Everything was in good working condition and we'll stay again when in the area.

Room Tip: ask for different rate
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family