“April in Taos”

Sagebrush Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 5 May 2013

It is my favorite place to stay in Taos. I stay every year for 10 days for a seminar, and it is always wonderful.. I love the breakfast too. The beds are comfortable, a and I love having a fireplace in my room for cool nights.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank June P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Stayed at this wonderful place during the 20th anniversary of the Taos Institute. What I enjoyed most was the staff and their friendliness! The room where I stayed was OK and kept clean very well. And they served a great breakfast with a variety of choices and simply vy good and tasty!

Room Tip: Share your wishes with the staff, they'll come up with something good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Great for a weekend visit in Taos. The rooms are very big and you can request a room with a fireplace at extra cost. If you do get a fireplace ensure you ask them to bring you firewood, as it's not sitting anywhere on the grounds for you to just take.

The room contains a bed, couch, loveseat, coffee table and dresser with TV. It has everything you need to be comfortable, plus the bathroom is very big. No shortage of room for beauty supplies. There is also a coffee maker and refrigerator and microwave.

The staff are nice, but not overly nice. For example the front desk woman was a bit standoff-ish when checking in, which scared me a little. However, everyone else we encountered was fine. The dinner can be skipped as the salad bar is stagnant and not appetizing and the meal is not worth the money you’ll pay. There are other restaurants in the city that offer much better food for a much better value! Look online for other options for dinner. The breakfast however is worth it and all you need to do is leave a nice tip. And you'll want to after the nice meal in the cute dining room.

Sagebrush isn't a luxury hotel, but it's a great New Mexican experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2013

They have GREAT deals in conjunction with a couple of ski slopes in the area (Taos Ski Valley and Sipapu), so if you go during ski season and they still have these, it's a great bargain! We ended up getting an upgrade to the fireplace room because they had extra room I think. The room was very spacious and rustic, and we had firewood, tools and matches. You could also get fire starter from the front desk every night.

Just a few odd/negative things about the room: It smelled like crayons (different, not necessarily horrible), the shower handle adjusted between cold and scalding and -- as someone mentioned in another review -- there was an incredible amount of static electricity going on with the sheets! This completely freaked me out one night when I saw sparks flying when I touched the sheet after scooting across the floor in fuzzy socks. Then it became a fun light show for our kids. It was ultimately a neat science experiment, and no one spontaneously combusted, so it was all good.

Anyway, the main hotel area is historic and quite lovely in a rustic way. Fireplace, nice bar, and a nice dining room. We didn't do dinner there, but we did borrow the computer and, of course, partake in the included breakfast. The sit-down, hot breakfast was much better than the continental breakfast you find in more modern hotels. Also, the hotel staff were extremely nice and helpful. They recommended restaurants, gave us extra fire starter -- and the bartender gave us directions and suggestions for the drive back, including a suggestion to go to Echo Canyon, which were happy to find. Parts of the hotel grounds could use a little TLC/cleanup, but overall, this was a unique place with lots of character and some good amenities.

Room Tip: If you can get a fireplace room, I would highly recommend it!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We have never been to Taos. We decided to take a trip over our Spring Break. We stayed here for two nights. We had a suite with two beds and a fireplace. Upon entering the room you are hit with this smell. It is a very old smell. It is overwhelming but it comes from the place. It isn't a brand new hotel. It is one with charm and rustic appeal. We got used to the smell.

We were a family of 5 and the room was just perfect for us. We had a little living area which worked for eating in the room. The fridge was in the bathroom. The fireplace was nice. We don't have one at home so we definitely took full advantage and had it going both nights (they bring you one basket of complimentary firewood each night you stay). We even ran to the store to get all the necessities for smores. Our boys loved it and so did we.

If I had one complaint it would be the blanket on the bed. The thicker one they lay down on top of the sheet. It had SO MUCH STATIC! When we moved throughout the night sparks literally flew. The blanket had the WORST static cling. As a woman, my hair looked like I stuck my finger in the electrical outlet each morning when I woke up. I needed a lot of conditioner. My advice to housekeeping is to invest in FABRIC SOFTENER!!!!!

We had the complimentary breakfast both mornings. The place is small and cute. We really enjoyed the pancakes, french toast, and egg breakfast. The waitstaff is very nice. The set you up with everything you will need and then just let you be to enjoy. They never come back to check on you really and there isn't a need for them to.

The front desk is very helpful. The hotel is just what we expected in the pueblo form. The backdrop of the mountains is amazing. Next time we need to go earlier so we can see more snow on the ground.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My sister who lives in Taos had picked a room for me and paid for the first night. She was so... kind. She chose a room that was very close to their Conference Center where I was attending a
conference. I have fybromyialga and have a very difficult time walking. She chose a room on the second floor for my safety. When we arrived we were told the room already had people in it. We were told that they always change rooms. I asked why they would do that when we had already paid for this certain room and had a receipt to show that. This is what they do, I was told. She gave me the room on the first floor. We unloaded and the realized the room was still dirty. She then placed me in a larger room that was quite a way behind the building. Quite a walk!!. It is very isolated and most of the parking lot and building lights were out. I hardly slept.
The bed was very hard. The bathtub was stopped up. Even though there was a table and refrigerator there was no plates or anything to use to eat food. When I went back to my room the second evening they had re keyed my key so I had to go back all the way to the office, and this is after they had charged me in advance for the second night. Maybe that is why they give your room away they don't even know you are staying.

I spoke to the MOD when checking out. She gave me a cash discount on the second night and acted like I was a more than a bother. She argued with me and seemed very annoyed.

the Sagebrush Inn has been a personal favorite for many years. I am told the owners are now elderly and struggling to keep up. They happened to be out of town. However when I checked out I saw them in the back room. They totally ignored me. WHAT A SHAME!! The rooms, furniture,atmosphere and food here in the past has been way above the average. The rooms are barely cleaned. The shampoo, etc. is very low quality and it looks like the upkeep is going down the drain. The free breakfast is pathetic and very limited. You can not order from a menu.
The food here used to be excellent. I understand the owner is no longer cooking and they have not continued with the tradition of excellent food. A loss that is hard to take.

The Sagebrush is a historic hotel that is on it's way out. So sad that we should continue to loose touch with the history of Taos. Unless I should hear of an upturn in the management I won't stay here again.

Goodby to an old friend!

Room Tip: I have no idea how to get a good room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank J Marlene L
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We had not stayed in Taos for a long time and unfortunately not all our memories stayed true. We had a suite which was wonderful complete with kiva fireplace. We decided to eat dinner at the restaurant because we remembered the great steaks. The dinner was just not that great last night. My chicken parmesan was left sitting under the heater for awhile waiting for my husband's steak which was a little bland and grizzly. The dinner rolls were terrible - cheap, pre-packaged - could have been so much better if a little more invested from a real bakery. The service was not good with only about 5 of us in the whole restaurant. The waitress was more interested in talking to a co-worker than serving us. The free hot breakfast this morning more than made up for any distress we felt last night - wow, eggs, bacon, French toast - really great and excellent service. So we recommend staying in suite, eat in town for dinner, enjoy the free hot breakfast here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taos
El Monte Sagrado
#5 of 14 in Taos
The Blake at Taos Ski Valley
The Blake at Taos Ski Valley
#1 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley

Been to Sagebrush Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!