“Just OK”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Toronto, Canada
“Just OK”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The official description of this hotel makes it sounds so interesting when in fact the novelty wears off after the first night at most. It has that old country, rustic feel until you realize that it's just worn out furniture and old decor. I was there for a week for an academic conference, and really tried to get acclimated to the place. But it didn't work. The front desk service is wooden and perfunctory. Another conference attendee checked in, took one look at her room, then checked out and moved 100 ft. over to the adjacent Comfort Inn. And it's in the middle of nowhere so unless you have a car don't expect to eat out.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Debra S, General Manager at Sagebrush Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear DanielCho10,
Thank you for your review of the Sagebrush Inn. There has been an ownership change in late December of 2013. The updates needed you describe are on there way in 2014. If you are in Taos for Conference again please consider us for your lodging needs. The Comfort Suites next door is now all part of the Sagebrush Inn & Suites and no longer affiliated with the Comfort Brand. We will keep our web site updated as changes are taking place. Sagebrushinn.com

Deb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 23 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I've stayed here numerous times when traveling for bridge tournaments. The rooms are average but the breakfast is great! There is a certain quirky charm to the Inn. Convenient for my needs but not close to the plaza.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Denniq56,
Thank you for reviewing the Sagebrush Inn after your stay in September. The hotel is under new ownership as of late December of 2013. We will be updating the property and rooms while keeping the Historic charm of the Taos area. I hope you will stay with us again to see the great changes in 2014.

Spring, Texas
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Reasonable price, very friendly staff. They gave me a free upgrade to a suite. Breakfast is included and is cooked for you (it's not just cereals on a counter). The hotel was built in 1929 and has that old adobe, New Mexico feel but bathrooms etc. are up to date. The bed was comfy, and I felt like I was at a much more expensive hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Liz B
Dear Liz B,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I wanted to make you aware the Sagebrush Inn & Suites is under new ownership as of late 2013. We are looking forward to updating the property while keeping the uniqueness that people have fallen in love with. I hope you will be able to visit Taos again and stop and see the changes later this year.

California
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This is an inexpensive hotel with lots of character just outside of Taos New Mexico. Rooms surround courtyards, nice sitting area/bar and pleasant breakfast (complimentary with room reservation) or a full breakfast menu available. Georgia O'Keefe among other painters stayed and painted from the vantage points of their rooms.

Helpful staff.

Hard to see if you drive in after dark - Sagebrush could use some outdoor lights. They are next to Comfort Suites on the main road which has lighted signage.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travel08California
Dear Travel08California,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Sagebrush Inn. There has been a change in ownership in late 2013. We are looking forward to making the Sagebrush Inn & Suites, an updated property while keeping the uniqueness that our guest love. If you will be back in the area please consider the Sagebrush Inn & Suites and watch for our updates on Facebook and our website Sagebrushinn.com.

el paso texas
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

I was booked here for a conference and before coming I wanted to read the reviews on trip advisor. After reading some of the comments I was very concerned. However after arriving and checking into my room I don't understand what they are talking about. The room was clean , very large, the bed was just fine and the staff very accommodating.
I have a feeling that the people who wrote such negative reviews must have never stayed in one of these old historic adobe inns in New Mexico. I have stayed in many and prefer to stay in an old inn rather than one of the new modern hotels. Trust me, you Will love the ambience and the setting especially here in the fall when all of the trees are turning golden, the air is crisp and the surrounding mountaintops covered with snow. There is always the option of one of the corporate cookie-cutter hotels but do yourself a favor and get a feel for what northern New Mexico is really like. Give the sagebrush inn a try....you will enjoy.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank jeff_elp
Dear elptripster,
Your comments certainly sum up the Sagebrush experience we hope our guest will have here. We have undergone an ownership change in late 2013. There are many updates coming in 2014 that will keep the charm and (keep you connected ). If you will be returning to Taos please keep the Sagebrush & and Suites in mind and follow us on Facebook or our Web site Sagebrushinn.com to see our exciting changes in 2014.

Safe travels in 2014
Monument, Colorado
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I've stayed here for a conference and got one of the bigger rooms or almost appartements (executive suite) at the backside of the complex. It was nice and clean, very big and compfortable. It could have literally accomodate a whole family quite easily. Breakfast was fun with fresh pico de gallo, different eggs and meats, and yummy pastries. The staff was absolutely great, very friendly and curteous! The location is a bit remote, but for a conference it didn't matter.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MaureenJK
Dear MaureenJK,
Thank you so much for your Trip Advisor review. The Sagebrush Inn has had an ownership change in late 2013. We will be updating and upgrading while keeping the charm that our guests love. I hope you will have the opportunity to visit Taos again and stay at the Sagebrush Inn & Suites. You can follow us on Facebook or at SagebrushInn.com.

Safe travels in 2014
Montana
Reviewed 1 October 2013

First, I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this place! So much history in the original buildings; you can just feel the past from the 20's / 30's when you arrive. I can get over the outdated bathroom fixtures, minimal (and, I mean: minimal) amenities when an incredible old New Mexico wood burning fireplace is a standard part of the rooms here. It is such a classic, and a place frozen in time.

So, if you're a bit snooty about having only the best, keep heading down the road. But, if you love experiencing the past in the here and now, this is the place for you! (Oh, and me...)

My only complaint? The lady that checked us in. Talk about indifference, bordering on absolutely rude! Older gal, sneering over her reading glasses. Greets you with "What do you need?" Not, "Welcome. How may I help you?". I returned to the desk only 15 minutes after check in to ask a question. She had no idea that she had just taken care of me moments before (so much for eye contact). Then, when my query had been answered, as I was saying 'thank you', she had already turned her back on me, saying to the person she was visiting with in the office, "So, like I was saying...". Aw, gee. So sorry that I interrupted the conversation! I just think I'll slink off into the restaurant and order a drink...

PS: the night security guy who delivered extra pillow and blanket AND showed us how to build a fire in these older adobe fireplaces was THE BEST! Personable, respectful, and a lot of fun to have conversation with.

Will we be back? You bet! No bitter, dismissive desk clerk can keep us away.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank buffalo57
Dear buffalo57,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Sagebrush Inn. The property had an ownership change in late 2013 and will be getting the update it so desperately needs in 2014. It's like you stated people either really love the historic nature of the property or just can't see the charm. We will be making it an updated better "self" this year. I hope you will be coming back later in 2014 to see our changes or follow us on Facebook or our website Sagebrushinn.com.