“Needs a good cleaning”

Sagebrush Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights this past week. I saw the pictures of the rooms, and the pool etc. and decided to try it. First impression was that the grounds needed mowing (which did happen while we were there). We had one of the older historic rooms, which meant it was dark, and as one reviewer put it, "cave like". My biggest issue however was that it really needed to be cleaned. Something sticky had spilled on a table and into the handle of the refrigerator. They were not cleaned on the second day, so we did it ourselves. There was a sticky glop of something on the cabinet door below the sink in the bathroom, I am really hoping it was old toothpast, cleaned that up too. If someone would pick out the weeds from between the cracks in the outdoor patio area it would be a lot more enticing to eat out there. Some fresh carpeting would be helpful, ours was old and dark. I wish they had told me that the pool was not open when I made my reservation, it doesn't look like it will be open anytime soon either.
With all that being said, the place has a lot of potential. The free breakfast was good each of the days that we were there. The bed was comfortable, the tv was good
This place has a lot of potential if there would just spruce it up a bit. It gave the impression of being old and run down. Just because it is historic doesn't mean it has to be run down. Hopefully they will get it going but I cannot recommend staying there at this time.

Room Tip: They have "suites" which look a lot newer. We stayed in the old part, room 116, and it wa...
1  Thank Rick H
Mark N, General Manager at Sagebrush Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

I honestly appreciate you writing such an honest review. I have shared this with the staff. I mostly appreciate you recognizing the potential the Sagebrush Inn has. Rest assured the new ownership agrees with you and major upgrades are in the works. I welcome you to give us another try on your next visit to Taos.

Mark Najera

Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed two nights, were assigned spacious suite in C building. Suite was ok but left a list of many housekeeping/maintenance suggestions at checkout. Beds comfortable, couch needs to be replaced asap. Wifi and a/c worked fine. Property looks nice, mature trees and green grass but please do not believe promo pics of pool. Will post pic of actual pool, yuck!! Don't think it is even open. Dinner in dining room was good food, nice service and moderate prices. Complimentary breakfast was ok but we skipped on second morning to go somewhere better. Caution: no elevators to second floor rooms. Our stairwell was filthy with dirt the entire stay. OK budget place but have stayed at much nicer in Taos.

Room Tip: No elevators to second floor rooms! Pool is NOT as pictured in their promos, at least at this tim...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments which have been shared with the staff. We apologize if your stay wasn't what you expected and ask that should you find yourself back in Taos, we give us an opportunity to change your opinion on our unique hotel as we are in the beginning process of a renovation.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I've stayed here for over thirty years now and it is sad to see the place so rundown. Although the location isn't prime ( too far from the center of town) they were always worth it because of the Cantina and the ambience. This time was a less than stellar experience. When we arrived, we had a nice but older room. We checked in, and got ready to head into town and discovered our AC was super noisy. We could have lived without an air conditioner but there are no screens on the windows and that won't do on a New Mexico summer night. To their credit, they sent maintenance right away, and when it could not be fixed they moved us to an upgraded room. Too bad this room had the older style AC that cycles on and off. It is huge, and I love the view and privacy, but it was a bit smelly when we arrived. I used to love the Cantina. It had wonderful art and usually a hood ban on weekends. But the paintings and weavings are mostly gone, and at least when we were there the place was dead. Our sleeping room is comfortable but furniture is quite dated and scratched. So I'm not sure we will be back for awhile. It is just too depressing from it's heyday. I don't want to see it totally fancy, but it's just too far the other way now. On the other side if the coin, we were in the back section and had a great patio. We love to sit and play guitar and it was nice that we were not bothering anyone else, and had a great view. Another weird thing. My husband left his credit card by accident at the front desk and did not discover it until the next morning. I'm astonished they did not call and let us know!

Room Tip: Back section has huge rooms and nice western sunsets.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I am certainly distressed to read that your stay wasn't what you had experienced in the past. Please note that we are under new ownership and it is our mission to restore the Sagebrush Inn to it's glory. Please consider us again when you visit Taos, I am confident your next stay will be a memorable one.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had fallen in love with the Sagebrush on our first trip to Taos a few years ago. We were thrilled to see it was still in existence when we returned this year. Since the last time we were here, they have bought the property next door to them and have turned them into suites. We were in the building with a suite, which was very nice, but I would have preferred the old part because of the interior design of the rooms. As usual the staff was very professional, and you get a full hot breakfast in the morning off a menu. The grounds are very pretty. I would suggest you take the time to learn the history behind the Sagebrush. It is very interesting. Also remember you are at a higher elevation. We were there 12th of May and it was 26 degrees and it snowed. The day before it had been in the high 60's. The weather can change at the drop of a hat. If you are going to Taos, I highly recommend you stay at the Sagebrush.

Room Tip: If you can I would suggest you stay in the historic side of the hotel. The interiors are quite beau...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

We can't thank you enough for writing a review in such a positive manner. The Sagebrush Inn truly is one of a kind and we love to hear that people appreciate it's uniqueness. With new ownership in place, it's only going to be an even better experience. We look forward to you next stay and please feel free to stop by and say hello!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This place was very shabby. The bed was comfortable. The adjacent bar/restaurant served a good breakfast and had reasonable drink prices. It was full, as it was Memorial Day weekend and a lot of bikers were in town. We had a first floor(only 2 floors) room along the back courtyard. Would never go back

Room Tip: I can' recommend any room here. The web site made it look good.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your concerns on our hotel. We hope that you will reconsider staying with us on your next visit to Taos as we are planning a significant remodel in the next year. I am sure that you will view the Sagebrush Inn in a better light.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Sagebrush Inn in Taos a few weeks ago and were VERY happy we did. The hotel is just south of the Taos Town Center and not far from the Pueblo. The rooms were spacious, well kept and COMFORTABLE! The staff was very friendly and professional. Even the overworked breakfast servers - this place was FULL when we were there - were courteous, helpful, and efficient!

All in all a very nice place to stay!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the better rooms! They are worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Mark N, General Manager at Sagebrush Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that the staff met all your needs. Our breakfast does indeed get very busy so I was happy to hear it was enjoyable. I will definitely share your positive comments with my staff and please, come back and visit us soon. Lot's of great changes coming to the Sagebrush Inn in the next year!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Despite my mediocre rating, I did like this hotel. The beds were comfy, the rooms were quiet and large enough for two people to share comfortably for 4 nights. The pool wasn't open yet but it looked nice from our balcony. When we arrived the cherry trees in the courtyard were in full bloom, casting a lovely light on the entrance to our room. From the window on the other side, we had a view of the Sangre de Christo mountains, which will soon be obliterated when the trees leaf out. There are many beautiful old paintings and photos on the grounds. The Sagebrush is pet friendly.

The hotel has 2 strikes against it. As old as it is, dating back to the early 1900's, our room was rather dark. The windows are smallish, the carpet is dark, and the lighting is inadequate so it felt a bit cave-like. Also, the hotel is about 4 miles from the heart of downtown Taos, meaning we had to drive pretty much everywhere. That said, there's oodles of parking.

A very good,but limited cooked to order breakfast is included.

Room Tip: There are many newer additions to this motel. We may have been in one of the older rooms. You might...
1  Thank openrangepony
Mark N, General Manager at Sagebrush Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you so very much for writing such an extensive review. Your comments are greatly appreciated and we are delighted to learn that we did indeed take good are of you and you enjoyed your stay.