“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This property has been around for many years. We wanted to stay in an older traditional room with the character associated with Sagebrush. They do have a more "modern" building with indoor entrances. We found our 2nd floor room comfortable and quiet. Even though my reservation was for a king bed, we were given 2 queens. This really didn't cause any problems and the desk clerk even would change us to another room if we were not satisfied.The front of our room looked out over a tree covered courtyard. The furnishings were nice. It also had a balcony on the back. The reservation included a choice of a full breakfast in the restaurant and served good food. Friendly staff at the desk and restaurant. The location is 5 minutes from Ranchos de Taos.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jnNewMexico
Mark N, General Manager at Sagebrush Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you so very much for your kind words and I am delighted to learn we took good care of you and you enjoyed your stay! Please come back and see us on your next visit to Taos.

Mark Najera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed in one of the back building "deluxe suites." The room was huge. Almost too big for the furniture, although it did have an extra trundle bed, so it looked a little empty with it up. The room was cleanish. The king bed was passable, but not great. It had a fireplace which we didn't use ... as it was a bit warm outside. The back patio looked out over a field and was kind of nice to sit at and have a drink and watch the sun set. Worst part of the visit was the motel restaurant. We ordered prime rib that was heated over from another day and was a bit dated ... like the motel. Didn't feel so hot afterwards. Overall the visit was just OK ... staff was nice at the front desk ... the restaurant not so much, although the breakfast buffet was nice. If you stay here I'd recommend looking for another of the nice restaurants in Taos. There's a good mexican restaurant across the street.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I apologize for the less than perfect meal you had with us. Please note that we are recently under new ownership and many positive changes are in the works, one of which is our menu and restaurant. We ask that you stop in and give us an opportunity to show you the positive changes being made on your next visit to Taos.

Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

The short version... I stayed here with a larger group and the consensus is we would never do it again. To be fair 1 person out of the 15 liked it for it's rustic feel.

About that rustic feel:
The rooms were dark and musty; mine appeared not to have been cleaned; soda can stains on the table, hair all over the bathroom, the shower didn't drain and when it started to fill up more hair started to float up... gross does not begin to cover it.
The hotel appears to have been constructed with large timbers to frame it which squeek relentlessly. My room was on the lower floor and by far it is the noisiest place I have ever stayed from all the squeaking of the ceiling, any movement even the couple rolling over in bed made it squeak. Everyone who had a lower level room reported the same experience.

I let the front desk know about the shower not draining (40 minutes after the shower there was still water in the tub) and the guy grabbed a notepad and acted like he was making a note, he then set it down to check me out and it was blank...

They do have a great "complementary" made to order breakfast. The breakfast is free but there is a $2 dollar mandatory gratuity. I have no problem tipping for service and food so I left the waitress $10 for 3 of us and asked her if that would cover the mandatory gratuity, she said yes and thanked me. The part that really sent me over the edge is the front desk added the $2 charge after we checked out. They were called after the charges for the breakfast showed up on the credit card statement and want to argue about it. This is just poor business.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AreJay01
I want to apologize that you had difficulties with your stay. We definitely strive to make every guests stay perfect and hope that each guest always feels taken care of during their time with us.

Unfortunately TripAdvisor does not allow you to detail much information about your stay with us, so if you feel comfortable emailing me at mark.najera@prismhotels.com with your contact information and dates of stay I would like to research this issue. I want to make sure in the future that all of our guest service representatives are equipped to handle the basic problems that may occur at our location.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you have the opportunity to give us another try in the future.

Crook
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I didn't have any of the issues that some of the other reviewers had...we had a wonderful time here and would stay again AND would recommend to friends and family. The bar and music was great, employees were OK, restaurant was good. AND the breakfast was FREE, AND made to order. I can't say enough good about this place. We stayed in the building to the right of the main building, not sure what the building # was, room was clean and nice.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
What a great review! I thank you for staying with us and recognizing what a special hotel the Sagebrush Inn really is and about to get even better with great changes coming in the near future!
Thanks again,

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights this past week. I saw the pictures of the rooms, and the pool etc. and decided to try it. First impression was that the grounds needed mowing (which did happen while we were there). We had one of the older historic rooms, which meant it was dark, and as one reviewer put it, "cave like". My biggest issue however was that it really needed to be cleaned. Something sticky had spilled on a table and into the handle of the refrigerator. They were not cleaned on the second day, so we did it ourselves. There was a sticky glop of something on the cabinet door below the sink in the bathroom, I am really hoping it was old toothpast, cleaned that up too. If someone would pick out the weeds from between the cracks in the outdoor patio area it would be a lot more enticing to eat out there. Some fresh carpeting would be helpful, ours was old and dark. I wish they had told me that the pool was not open when I made my reservation, it doesn't look like it will be open anytime soon either.
With all that being said, the place has a lot of potential. The free breakfast was good each of the days that we were there. The bed was comfortable, the tv was good
This place has a lot of potential if there would just spruce it up a bit. It gave the impression of being old and run down. Just because it is historic doesn't mean it has to be run down. Hopefully they will get it going but I cannot recommend staying there at this time.

Room Tip: They have "suites" which look a lot newer. We stayed in the old part, room 116, and it wa...
1 Thank Rick H
I honestly appreciate you writing such an honest review. I have shared this with the staff. I mostly appreciate you recognizing the potential the Sagebrush Inn has. Rest assured the new ownership agrees with you and major upgrades are in the works. I welcome you to give us another try on your next visit to Taos.

British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed two nights, were assigned spacious suite in C building. Suite was ok but left a list of many housekeeping/maintenance suggestions at checkout. Beds comfortable, couch needs to be replaced asap. Wifi and a/c worked fine. Property looks nice, mature trees and green grass but please do not believe promo pics of pool. Will post pic of actual pool, yuck!! Don't think it is even open. Dinner in dining room was good food, nice service and moderate prices. Complimentary breakfast was ok but we skipped on second morning to go somewhere better. Caution: no elevators to second floor rooms. Our stairwell was filthy with dirt the entire stay. OK budget place but have stayed at much nicer in Taos.

Room Tip: No elevators to second floor rooms! Pool is NOT as pictured in their promos, at least at this tim...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments which have been shared with the staff. We apologize if your stay wasn't what you expected and ask that should you find yourself back in Taos, we give us an opportunity to change your opinion on our unique hotel as we are in the beginning process of a renovation.

New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I've stayed here for over thirty years now and it is sad to see the place so rundown. Although the location isn't prime ( too far from the center of town) they were always worth it because of the Cantina and the ambience. This time was a less than stellar experience. When we arrived, we had a nice but older room. We checked in, and got ready to head into town and discovered our AC was super noisy. We could have lived without an air conditioner but there are no screens on the windows and that won't do on a New Mexico summer night. To their credit, they sent maintenance right away, and when it could not be fixed they moved us to an upgraded room. Too bad this room had the older style AC that cycles on and off. It is huge, and I love the view and privacy, but it was a bit smelly when we arrived. I used to love the Cantina. It had wonderful art and usually a hood ban on weekends. But the paintings and weavings are mostly gone, and at least when we were there the place was dead. Our sleeping room is comfortable but furniture is quite dated and scratched. So I'm not sure we will be back for awhile. It is just too depressing from it's heyday. I don't want to see it totally fancy, but it's just too far the other way now. On the other side if the coin, we were in the back section and had a great patio. We love to sit and play guitar and it was nice that we were not bothering anyone else, and had a great view. Another weird thing. My husband left his credit card by accident at the front desk and did not discover it until the next morning. I'm astonished they did not call and let us know!

Room Tip: Back section has huge rooms and nice western sunsets.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am certainly distressed to read that your stay wasn't what you had experienced in the past. Please note that we are under new ownership and it is our mission to restore the Sagebrush Inn to it's glory. Please consider us again when you visit Taos, I am confident your next stay will be a memorable one.