“Would not do again :(”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Austin, Texas
“Would not do again :(”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Location: Not Near the Plaza; Right across the street is a Walmart, Albertson's Grocery Store, & Walgreens are nearby.

HOtel Itself:
Hotel Staff was friendly
Room: I rented 2 Rooms -- so I'll review BOTH.
A.. Suite - This had 2 queen beds and a door separating from the kitchen/living room.
i. There is a Kiva Fireplace. Thought this would be nice, the the smell of smoke permeates the room, and had made all of us have a headache, and worse :(
ii. We were on the 2nd story. Bad news? You had to carry up your luggage up the stairs -- no elevator -- this was difficult, b/c I had packed Crock Pot, Food, Cooler, etc.. and this was difficult for me to navigate.
iii. Kitchen - Microwave, Toaster, Refrig, coffee pot -- that's it. Bring your own utensils.
iv. Pull out bed -- hard bed that sags in the middle
v. Queen Beds -- hard as a rock. Pillows are flat, There is 1 sheet, 1 blanket, and bedspread... These are old, and I can't say I felt that they were clean. Kinda felt yucky.
vi. Dresser drawers? None -- we've had to keep all our stuff in our suitcases :(

Housekeeping -- We have 5 people in the suite -- they only leave 2 towels 2x. I've had to go fetch them :( Shampoo - there was none; they are supposed to provide it. Toilet does not flush well, I spilled some toothpaste on the counter; the housekeeper didn't even clean it up!!!

Hot Tub: Not operational - no water!
View: THere is NONE
Lighting: If you want to read, bring a book light -- there really is very little overhead lighting (which is typical to NM).
TV: Small -- not what you are used to (flat screen). There are 17" old TV's.
Cleanliness - there is much to be desired here.

Suite: I paid $107.00 per night.

Room: Everything was fine -- like a motel 6. no frills. hardly any room to store things

Internet Service: Poor, sporadic

THis is my 2nd day here... If things change, I'll update

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 23 January 2011

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We were traveling through for one day and fell in love with Taos. We planned another day stay. We went to another hotel to be closer to our departure road and were so disappointed with the reception at this fancier hotel that we decided to go back to Sun God Lodge. We were welcomed with open arms and was given a large suite @ the same price. We also received a coupon for breakfast at a family diner.
Our experience at both the hotel and diner far surpassed our expectations. I loved the grass area with tables and was able to sit and read in such peace. The pictures are true to life and represent it to a "T".

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mickey L
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 5 January 2011

My wife and I went to ski Taos over the New Years break and we decided to stay at this hotel because of the price ($70 per night). We knew we were not going to be in the room much because we'd be on the mountain the entire day so a 4 star hotel was not needed.

The location to downtown and shopping was excellent. Walmart is right across the street and Albertson's is a block away. Downtown shopping is a 5 minute drive from the hotel. Taos was about 30 minutes due to the weather conditions.

One day we can back from skiing at about 5pm. The door would not open due to some electrical issues. I went to the front desk and he was very apologetic and polite. He called the maintainence guy (who had already gone home for the day) and he came back to fix the issue.

Our room did not have the same issues as some of the other reviews with the heat. When we arrived, the room was sufficiently warm and it only got warmer as we turned the heat up.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to any traveler not looking for an expensive hotel, but looking for a nice place to sleep and relax.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Manitou Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 3 January 2011

The front desk personnel were exceptional. After a very easy check-in with an additional 10% discount we were given a map to help guide us to our room. Upon entering the room we found the heater to not be working and after making a call to the front desk our room was switched without question. The room was what you would expect for a motel and accommodated our NYE Taos adventure plans. If you are looking for a very reasonable rate and have a pet, I recommend the Sun God Lodge!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Tres Orejas
Reviewed 27 December 2010

To see the website of the Sun God Lodge in Taos, you would think this place was solid quality and comfort...far from it in my family's opinion. We have stayed elsewhere in Taos and this was our first bad motel experience. First and foremost, EXPENSIVE for the lack of quality, baseboard heaters barely worked - dirty and wires exposed, bathtub was rusty and peeling, no furniture to put anything on...clothes had to go on the floor, no amenities whatsoever (mini-fridge, microwave). We were just all around disappointed with our stay. If you visit Taos, stay at the WHITMANN INN (great price, clean, fridge, microwave, inside pool and hot tub).

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

Lake Jackson, Texas
Reviewed 27 December 2010

water in shower gets hot and cold and doesn't drain, the heater gets too hot and never cools down, no water in hot tub, no hair dryers, and i will never stay here again.... go with name brand hotels and pay extra money......

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Burleson, TX
Reviewed 30 November 2010

We made reservations well in advance for a pet room, but when we arrived, they said it was not requested. They did find us a room, but before we unloaded our bags, I checked the beds....something I always do when we travel. Shockingly, I found black dog hair on the sheets and pillows...even under the pillows! I ran out to stop my husband from unloading the bags, and the housekeeper said she would change the sheets right away. So we stayed. The bed was sunken in the middle and no mattress pad. Burn holes and stains on the bedspread, which i asked the maid to take out of the room. The television barely worked. Hot tub nonfunctioning. There was hair in the bathtub and mold in the corners. If we had been able to find another room, we would have. Unfortunately, it was during the wool festival, and everything was booked up. When we returned home, I found out the hotel had charged us twice for our four night stay. They denied the double charge, and it took us two months of fighting to prove, and threatsnof a law suit to get our money returned.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
sungodlodge, General Manager at Sun God Lodge, responded to this review, 4 December 2010
We would like to apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. A number of the issues you address in your review are completely unacceptable, have been corrected, and do not represent the service typical of the Sun God Lodge. In particular, the cleanliness issues mentioned are not up to the standard of the hotel and we have put procedures in place to ensure that no guest has a similar experience.
There was confusion regarding the pet friendly request on the reservation and rate, both of which the hotel attempted to rectify by waiving our pet fee and making an adjustment on the rate for the duration of the stay. We actually held a room for you to move to per your request for the second day of your stay, however you declined to move. The issues you mention with the room were not brought to my attention during your stay so I was regrettably unable to address or look into these issues for you at that time.
With regards to the double charge, this issue was resolved immediately when the back up we requested was provided. While there were two charges, admittedly a mistake on our part, we were unable to see them both in our system and requested this back up be sent so we could process the refund immediately. When over a week had gone by and we had not received it, I personally contacted you regarding this and processed the refund that same day immediately after we received the back up showing both charges. While the charge may not have been refunded until two months later, the hotel was not notified until over a month and a half after departure. The hotel corrected this situation not due to any threat of litigation as you imply, but corrected an error on our part once we had the appropriate documentation of the error.
Having taken over management of the hotel very shortly before your stay, I will admit that your experience didn't meet the high standards we expect at the Sun God Lodge and that we have taken the proper steps to improve the guest experience here at the hotel since your stay. I invite you to return to the hotel for an experience more typical of the service levels we strive to maintain for each and every guest.

Rob Suter