“No A/C room was unbearable”
Review of Sun God Lodge

Sun God Lodge
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 31 May 2011

The amenities were pretty nice but the No Air Conditioning was the worst.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
sungodlodge, General Manager at Sun God Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2011

We apologize that lack of AC was an issue during your recent trip. Not all of our room types have air conditioning, namely our Standard Queen rooms, which do have windows and ceiling fans which are typically enough for most guests in our climate as it generally gets pretty cool overnight, even during the middle of summer. We hope that you enjoyed your stay otherwise and we hope to welcome you again to one of our room types that do have AC. Thanks again for choosing the Sun God Lodge for your stay in Taos.

Rob Suter

Reviewed 18 April 2011

The place is cute and quaint, but the bed was hard and lumpy - felt like sleeping on a box spring. The telephones don't work (why they leave it in the room is a mystery) and there is no staff on duty from 10:00 p.m. until 8:00 a.m. The staff is pleasant but provided no help when I needed to make a phone call - couldn't even direct me to a pay phone and didn't return a message I had left on their voicemail.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I ended up in Taos after I hit a really bad storm and could not make it to my regular reservations. This place was very clean, and I thought was well worth the money spent. They were very helpful at the front, giving me the best locations for snowboarding and ski places in the area. It was in a good location, and the rooms were very nice.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Location: Not Near the Plaza; Right across the street is a Walmart, Albertson's Grocery Store, & Walgreens are nearby.

HOtel Itself:
Hotel Staff was friendly
Room: I rented 2 Rooms -- so I'll review BOTH.
A.. Suite - This had 2 queen beds and a door separating from the kitchen/living room.
i. There is a Kiva Fireplace. Thought this would be nice, the the smell of smoke permeates the room, and had made all of us have a headache, and worse :(
ii. We were on the 2nd story. Bad news? You had to carry up your luggage up the stairs -- no elevator -- this was difficult, b/c I had packed Crock Pot, Food, Cooler, etc.. and this was difficult for me to navigate.
iii. Kitchen - Microwave, Toaster, Refrig, coffee pot -- that's it. Bring your own utensils.
iv. Pull out bed -- hard bed that sags in the middle
v. Queen Beds -- hard as a rock. Pillows are flat, There is 1 sheet, 1 blanket, and bedspread... These are old, and I can't say I felt that they were clean. Kinda felt yucky.
vi. Dresser drawers? None -- we've had to keep all our stuff in our suitcases :(

Housekeeping -- We have 5 people in the suite -- they only leave 2 towels 2x. I've had to go fetch them :( Shampoo - there was none; they are supposed to provide it. Toilet does not flush well, I spilled some toothpaste on the counter; the housekeeper didn't even clean it up!!!

Hot Tub: Not operational - no water!
View: THere is NONE
Lighting: If you want to read, bring a book light -- there really is very little overhead lighting (which is typical to NM).
TV: Small -- not what you are used to (flat screen). There are 17" old TV's.
Cleanliness - there is much to be desired here.

Suite: I paid $107.00 per night.

Room: Everything was fine -- like a motel 6. no frills. hardly any room to store things

Internet Service: Poor, sporadic

THis is my 2nd day here... If things change, I'll update

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2011

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We were traveling through for one day and fell in love with Taos. We planned another day stay. We went to another hotel to be closer to our departure road and were so disappointed with the reception at this fancier hotel that we decided to go back to Sun God Lodge. We were welcomed with open arms and was given a large suite @ the same price. We also received a coupon for breakfast at a family diner.
Our experience at both the hotel and diner far surpassed our expectations. I loved the grass area with tables and was able to sit and read in such peace. The pictures are true to life and represent it to a "T".

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mickey L
Reviewed 5 January 2011

My wife and I went to ski Taos over the New Years break and we decided to stay at this hotel because of the price ($70 per night). We knew we were not going to be in the room much because we'd be on the mountain the entire day so a 4 star hotel was not needed.

The location to downtown and shopping was excellent. Walmart is right across the street and Albertson's is a block away. Downtown shopping is a 5 minute drive from the hotel. Taos was about 30 minutes due to the weather conditions.

One day we can back from skiing at about 5pm. The door would not open due to some electrical issues. I went to the front desk and he was very apologetic and polite. He called the maintainence guy (who had already gone home for the day) and he came back to fix the issue.

Our room did not have the same issues as some of the other reviews with the heat. When we arrived, the room was sufficiently warm and it only got warmer as we turned the heat up.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to any traveler not looking for an expensive hotel, but looking for a nice place to sleep and relax.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2011

The front desk personnel were exceptional. After a very easy check-in with an additional 10% discount we were given a map to help guide us to our room. Upon entering the room we found the heater to not be working and after making a call to the front desk our room was switched without question. The room was what you would expect for a motel and accommodated our NYE Taos adventure plans. If you are looking for a very reasonable rate and have a pet, I recommend the Sun God Lodge!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple