“Dirty and not very safe”
Review of Sun God Lodge

Sun God Lodge
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Paris, France
“Dirty and not very safe”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Hair in towels/bathroom
Poor maintenance, old/broken, dirty,
Removed fire alarm, electric plugs one feet from water taps.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Checked in at the last minute as I was passing through Taos. The first basic room I was given cost about $80 all up with taxes, and the bed was busted so the guy at the reception upgraded me to a room at the back (151) of the property which is apparently the equivalent of a deluxe room. The room was clean enough but the bed was still uncomfortable. For the money it wasn't worth it - the whole place was a dive. It looked like I was going to have an experience out of the movie 'vacancy' or something. I'd steer clear just for the fact it has uncomfortable beds and feels creepy.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Seems they could have done more with the possible views of the mountain when they built the place, but they didnt.

As it is the value is really somewhere between good and very good, but the system wont let me say 3 1/2. The staff is decently polite, but I wouldnt go as far as to say helpful. Maybe just 2 1/2 stars. Maybe I should have gone as low as two, really.

The room is clean and moderately comfortable, but i have slept better in other places. But it wasn't bad. They do have WiFi.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 31 May 2011

The amenities were pretty nice but the No Air Conditioning was the worst.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
sungodlodge, General Manager at Sun God Lodge, responded to this review, 9 June 2011
We apologize that lack of AC was an issue during your recent trip. Not all of our room types have air conditioning, namely our Standard Queen rooms, which do have windows and ceiling fans which are typically enough for most guests in our climate as it generally gets pretty cool overnight, even during the middle of summer. We hope that you enjoyed your stay otherwise and we hope to welcome you again to one of our room types that do have AC. Thanks again for choosing the Sun God Lodge for your stay in Taos.

Rob Suter
Fort Bragg, California
Reviewed 18 April 2011

The place is cute and quaint, but the bed was hard and lumpy - felt like sleeping on a box spring. The telephones don't work (why they leave it in the room is a mystery) and there is no staff on duty from 10:00 p.m. until 8:00 a.m. The staff is pleasant but provided no help when I needed to make a phone call - couldn't even direct me to a pay phone and didn't return a message I had left on their voicemail.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I ended up in Taos after I hit a really bad storm and could not make it to my regular reservations. This place was very clean, and I thought was well worth the money spent. They were very helpful at the front, giving me the best locations for snowboarding and ski places in the area. It was in a good location, and the rooms were very nice.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Location: Not Near the Plaza; Right across the street is a Walmart, Albertson's Grocery Store, & Walgreens are nearby.

HOtel Itself:
Hotel Staff was friendly
Room: I rented 2 Rooms -- so I'll review BOTH.
A.. Suite - This had 2 queen beds and a door separating from the kitchen/living room.
i. There is a Kiva Fireplace. Thought this would be nice, the the smell of smoke permeates the room, and had made all of us have a headache, and worse :(
ii. We were on the 2nd story. Bad news? You had to carry up your luggage up the stairs -- no elevator -- this was difficult, b/c I had packed Crock Pot, Food, Cooler, etc.. and this was difficult for me to navigate.
iii. Kitchen - Microwave, Toaster, Refrig, coffee pot -- that's it. Bring your own utensils.
iv. Pull out bed -- hard bed that sags in the middle
v. Queen Beds -- hard as a rock. Pillows are flat, There is 1 sheet, 1 blanket, and bedspread... These are old, and I can't say I felt that they were clean. Kinda felt yucky.
vi. Dresser drawers? None -- we've had to keep all our stuff in our suitcases :(

Housekeeping -- We have 5 people in the suite -- they only leave 2 towels 2x. I've had to go fetch them :( Shampoo - there was none; they are supposed to provide it. Toilet does not flush well, I spilled some toothpaste on the counter; the housekeeper didn't even clean it up!!!

Hot Tub: Not operational - no water!
View: THere is NONE
Lighting: If you want to read, bring a book light -- there really is very little overhead lighting (which is typical to NM).
TV: Small -- not what you are used to (flat screen). There are 17" old TV's.
Cleanliness - there is much to be desired here.

Suite: I paid $107.00 per night.

Room: Everything was fine -- like a motel 6. no frills. hardly any room to store things

Internet Service: Poor, sporadic