“Well, the staff DID try...”
Review of Sun God Lodge

Sun God Lodge
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We arrived at the Lodge around 9pm and check-in was pretty swift. The Lodge itself is pretty quaint and cute, but then again I much prefer "quaint" and "cute" to "fancy" and "impersonal"....

The first room we received the key to did not have a working television.
We were given the keys to a 2nd room, which had an opened beer can left on the table.
Upon our 3rd try, we discovered a room with a bed half-made, dirty towels on the floor and crumbs on the carpet.
At that point, the staff decided to put us out of our misery and upgraded us their fanciest suite that is probably bigger than a lot of New York 2 bedroom apartments, minus the Southwestern decor.

All in all, it was a nice place to stay at, despite the somewhat rocky start. Room was clean (well the one we ended up in anyway) and staff was nice, if only a little bit "over it".

Oh, and they have free candy in the lobby. Who needs a hottub when there is candy galore?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank AdelaideMc

Reviewed 25 October 2011

We have been stopping at Sun God Lodge for at least 15 years and always enjoyed the ambiance. This year we came in on a road trip with our dog.

We were advised that there were some "dog friendly" rooms which required an additional $20 pet fee. We went to check the "pet friendly" room in the back of the lodge. The carpet was a dingy and smelly It may have been "pet friendly" but it definitely was not dog-owner friendly. I don't know what management was doing with the $20 pet fee but it sure didn't appear to be used for cleaning the rooms! To us the pet fee appeared to be a rip-off.

We went elsewhere and found another hotel with much larger clean rooms - no odor and only a $10 dollar pet fee. I understand that pets require additional cleaning and am willing to pay for it but don't charge me an exorbitant fee and not even both to keep the room clean.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ben B
Reviewed 24 October 2011

i went to the Sun God Lodge during 'off season' and had asked for a room in the back courtyard~away from the road. perfect for me and my older dog. The room was quite small, but cozy and adequate. The bed was old, but it was very quiet and peaceful. No frills, but for the price I would go there again.

Room Tip: In back courtyard area, farthest from road . You hear NO traffic
1  Thank katycolorado
Reviewed 24 October 2011

this motel has several different room types so what you pay varies by room type and time of year, with weekdays being cheaper. i only paid $55 for a single, older room. it was small but nice and everything was clean. the in-room coffee and amenities were good quality. the double bed was ok. there's no air conditioning but there is a ceiling fan. as with most cheap motels, the walls are thin. there is expanded cable tv but no desk, table or chair so the only place to sit was the bed.
check-in was slow and i had to change rooms because the phone didn't work in the first room. then the ice machine also wasn't working so i had to go to the office to report it and get ice from a cooler there. i also asked for a wakeup call but never received it. so the motel has problems but the front desk people were always nice to deal with.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

I've said it once or twice before, that everyone's entitled to their opinion, but so many single reviews posted are hotel-bashers. I'd love to know on what some people base their writing. Granted, a firm mattress is bliss to some, hard to another. I slept like a baby.
We stayed several nights here and from first to last, could not be happier with all aspects of the stay. We had a minor problem with electrics and rather than wait for the repair, the manager moved us immediately next door. On arriving back from the town an hour later he offered to upgrade us to a swanky room in the rear courtyard by way of apology.
Clearly a lot of effort has been made to create a south-west feeling to the courtyards and balconies and this extends to the room decor. We loved the lit niches in the walls that allowed gentle lighting in the evening. Chairs were provided outside each room so we could sit and sip something while the sun set.
It wasn't their fault that Fall fell with a vengeance in the night, along with a couple of feet of snow. We had the unusual experince of scraping a car windscreen in New Mexico! But the heating worked fine.
Gaspar- if I've got that right - your staff was very friendly and helpful. I will certainly come back and visit you next time I'm Taos. Muchisimas gracias para su amistad!

Room Tip: Upsatairs balconies have better sunsets.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank beachbuddy10
Reviewed 12 October 2011

This was absolutely the worst night of "sleep" I've EVER had. The beds were hard; it was almost as if I slept on the box spring with sheets on it. Upon check out we mentioned to the desk clerk of our dissatisfaction and her reply was "Sorry" accompanied by a shoulder shrug.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I found my room clean and my bed comfortable. Comfortable enough that I had a great sleep. Basic amenities but there was a coffee machine (yay) and free wi-fi (double yay). Lovely green courtyard but some people don't pick up after their dogs! Otherwise, lots of parking and well-lit at night. Heat was more than adequate. A little way out of "town" but only by a few miles. I would recommend this hotel especially if you're planning a stay of a few nights and are watching your pennies. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Thanks for a nice stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in #26 and it was absolutely fine. No traffic noise. I'll have a complete travel story...