“real deal”
Review of Sun God Lodge

Sun God Lodge
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 5 August 2014

this hotel is what you think of when you think taos . the room was good not big . the staff was real nice and help and after a long drive the hot tub felt good . kinda like staying with your cousin not perfect but had character . enjoyed the night wespent there .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This beautiful hotel is one of the bright spots during my recent visit to Taos. I've always heard that the people of Taos are very special, and this hotel is one of the reasons why.

My camper broke down in Taos, and not knowing the town very well, I checked into the Quality Inn, at over $100 a night. When I mentioned this to a friend, she was outraged, and called the Sun God Lodge. Well, they gave me a rate that was about half of the Quality Inn's rate, let me check in early, let me stay well past the check out time until my camper was ready, and didn't charge me the extra fee for my dog. I was treated like a valued guest.

Gasper and Cindy are the property managers there, and are extremely friendly. Cindy even brought my little dog some home made bacon strips. I mean, just superb people.

My friends were right when they said that the People of Taos are special, and this was proof.
I wish Tripadvisor had 6 stars, because the Sun God Lodge in Taos is a very special place.

Room Tip: I saw some of the other reviews given to this property. I can only say that a bit of courtesy goes a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank RobertRomaniello
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed here in June 2014. I made my reservation over the phone and was asked for my credit card # to hold the room until I arrived to pay cash. I also made requested a pet friendly room. When I arrived I was told that my card had already been charged- this was without my approval. I made a point to ask again that our room was pet friendly, which I was told it was. We dropped our dogs and luggage off and went to dinner. Upon return we were greeted by two VERY rude owners who proceeded to YELL at us about our dogs who had barked, that we tried to hide them because our room "was not even pet friendly", that the cops had been called, and that we needed to vacate the premises IMMEDIATELY. With calm heads, we did as (I'd like to say asked, but we were TOLD) to leave. Since we did NOT stay here at all I asked for a refund of my money- I was denied my room fee and charged another $100 on top of that. I understand that dogs who bark can be a hinderance to business but I did, in fact, request the pet friendly room (IN THE BACK OF THE PROPERTY- which I also did not receive) and my phone # was on file... I never received a call. I would have gladly returned to deal with my animals. The fact that we were so rudely and hatefully greeted, accused, and asked to leave led me to file a BBB complaint. The BBB sent my complaint for follow up three times with no response. These people are horrible!!!! Do not stay here and do not risk your money being STOLEN!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
9  Thank Hannah M
Reviewed 25 July 2014

DO NOT BELIEVE THE REVIEWS ABOUT HOW NICE OF A PLACE. We had the suite and the room was filthy and way over priced for the condition of the room. There was dust everywhere along with hair and dirt and a yogurt in the refrigerator and it wasn’t from us. The bed had stained sheets. I called down to the office and was told that they didn’t have any other rooms available. I made it real easy for management; I asked for my money back which they did refund.

Room Tip: Check the room out before you pay for it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Montanangel
Reviewed 15 July 2014

DO NOT BELIEVE THE REVIEWS YOU READ HERE! Carpet sticky, one very worn out washcloth, lumpy bed, two cinder blocks for pillows. Office not open till 8:00 a.m., so you can forget coffee after you run out of the faux coffee in your room. We spoke to other guests with similar experiences. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our family stayed here for one night as we were passing through on our way to Colorado. The room was very comfortable and more spacious than you would expect for the price. We were very happy with our accommodations.

The next morning as we were prepared to head to CO we discovered that our car had a flat tire. Of course, this happened on a Sunday morning when all the tire stores on Taos were closed. The owner saw that we were having a problem and came over to offer assistance. He lifted our car with a jack he had, removed our tire, and put the flat tire in the back of his truck. He then spent almost an hour volunteering his time to drive me around Taos trying to find a place where we could buy a replacement. When we struck out finding a place to buy a tire he then took me to a local friend of his that aired up the tire and then drove me to Auto Zone to buy some Fix-a-flat. That fixed the tire long enough that we could drive to another town that had a bigger Wal Mart where we could buy a replacement tire.

We so appreciate him helping us out when we were in such a bind. We'll be staying here the next time we are in town!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank golfart
Reviewed 3 July 2014

While visiting Taos recently, I spent several nights at the Sun God Lodge. How pleasant! The property is an older one which has been meticulously restored by the current owners. The grounds were inviting and the rooms were appointed with new furniture. Nice!

In a market characterized by expensive rooms, the Sun God's pricing was refreshing, too. The owners were very friendly and helpful. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The rooms toward the rear of the complex arte air conditioned!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo