“Charming Oasis”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Taos
San Diego, California
“Charming Oasis”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Charming,clean, quiet and an excellent value that's motorcycle friendly! This boutique hotel is run by Cindy & Jasper who go out of their way to make your stay feel like home. The location is convenient to everything. The grounds are well manicured with hanging baskets of flowers, beautiful trees and umbrellaed picnic tables in a lovely lawn area. We will definitely stay here again when visiting Taos!

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Nice garden,very tasteful decor,friendly and helpful staff. Far from Plaza, better with car.
Rooms with character. Very good for the price. Hot tab. Lovely room, not noisy at all. Good deal.
Nice place to relax

Room Tip: Cheaper rooms areood.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank bruna b
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at The Sun God Lodge for one night in August 2014 whilst traveling around New Mexico with a friend.

The hotel is a little oasis off a busy road and the owner is nice.

I don't think I heard any cars in the night and our room (two queen beds) was lovely; very tasteful decor and comfy. Shower and Wifi, fine. My only complaint was that the tv was very old (no menu functionality) and as it was a very hot night, an AC would've been better than the fan.

Unfortunately I did not get to use the hot tub but some other people were enjoying using it on our way back from supper in town.

Desire being at the cheaper end of accommodation in Taos, I would recommend the hotel to all.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Harrietthespy
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Our room was one of the lower priced, this after being booked in another room first which flooded after flushing the toilet. Relatively clean but needed refurbished. We checked in on a Sunday and was very quiet. However Monday brought many check ins and quite a bit of noise. Overall good for the low price. WIFI very sporadic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hulbert, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2014

this hotel is what you think of when you think taos . the room was good not big . the staff was real nice and help and after a long drive the hot tub felt good . kinda like staying with your cousin not perfect but had character . enjoyed the night wespent there .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Pfafftown, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This beautiful hotel is one of the bright spots during my recent visit to Taos. I've always heard that the people of Taos are very special, and this hotel is one of the reasons why.

My camper broke down in Taos, and not knowing the town very well, I checked into the Quality Inn, at over $100 a night. When I mentioned this to a friend, she was outraged, and called the Sun God Lodge. Well, they gave me a rate that was about half of the Quality Inn's rate, let me check in early, let me stay well past the check out time until my camper was ready, and didn't charge me the extra fee for my dog. I was treated like a valued guest.

Gasper and Cindy are the property managers there, and are extremely friendly. Cindy even brought my little dog some home made bacon strips. I mean, just superb people.

My friends were right when they said that the People of Taos are special, and this was proof.
I wish Tripadvisor had 6 stars, because the Sun God Lodge in Taos is a very special place.

Room Tip: I saw some of the other reviews given to this property. I can only say that a bit of courtesy goes a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank RobertRomaniello
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed here in June 2014. I made my reservation over the phone and was asked for my credit card # to hold the room until I arrived to pay cash. I also made requested a pet friendly room. When I arrived I was told that my card had already been charged- this was without my approval. I made a point to ask again that our room was pet friendly, which I was told it was. We dropped our dogs and luggage off and went to dinner. Upon return we were greeted by two VERY rude owners who proceeded to YELL at us about our dogs who had barked, that we tried to hide them because our room "was not even pet friendly", that the cops had been called, and that we needed to vacate the premises IMMEDIATELY. With calm heads, we did as (I'd like to say asked, but we were TOLD) to leave. Since we did NOT stay here at all I asked for a refund of my money- I was denied my room fee and charged another $100 on top of that. I understand that dogs who bark can be a hinderance to business but I did, in fact, request the pet friendly room (IN THE BACK OF THE PROPERTY- which I also did not receive) and my phone # was on file... I never received a call. I would have gladly returned to deal with my animals. The fact that we were so rudely and hatefully greeted, accused, and asked to leave led me to file a BBB complaint. The BBB sent my complaint for follow up three times with no response. These people are horrible!!!! Do not stay here and do not risk your money being STOLEN!!!!

• Stayed June 2014
9 Thank Hannah M

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels