“Road trip from Albuquerque to Taos”
Review of El Meze Restaurant

El Meze Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
El Meze Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 128 Restaurants in Taos
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hail Creek
Description: We are located in the El Torreon Hacienda built in 1847 which reflects our philosophy, our food and the historical influences of Taos. From June - September we have patio seating under a tent with twinkle lights and the most incredible view of Taos Mountain.
“Road trip from Albuquerque to Taos”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I am a vegetarian and it can be difficult to find great places to dine. My husband and I were staying at Ojo Caliente resort and made a day trip to Taos. I read the reviews on trip finder and made a reservation. The food, staff and ambiance was awesome. I love the eclectic style and the views of the mountains are amazing!

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lived up to reviews!”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Currently visiting Taos from London. Checked out restaurants via Tripadvidor. Kerb appeal not great, but food was absolutely delicious. Server was helpful and guided us through the menu. Coming from London - excellent value for money. We loved it all: food, decor, ambience. If we have time, we'll definitely go for a return visit.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Treat yourself. You'll be glad you did. Cosy, colorful restaurant with staff who care and enjoy working there. Good wine guidance and food that's spectacular. From appetizers to salads and entrees to desserts, you're going to love it. Try the grilled hearts of romaine, the beans and the pasta. Mmmmmm. Save room for dessert; numerous delicious offerings. We'll be back next time we visit Taos.

Fort Worth, Texas
“Entitled”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We went El Meze for a 7:30pm reservation made by our resort concierge. We arrived at 7:28pm and were told to step outside for 10 minutes and come back in as the our table was not available. We came back inside 10 minutes later and waited at the front. We were pointedly ignored by the hostess as she worked to help the other employees for an additional 10 minutes. 2 other parties came afterward, one at 7:50pm for their 7:30pm table for 5 and another at around 7:40pm. Both parties were immediately seated. We asked why we were not allowed to take that table we were told that our reserved table wouldn't seat a party of 5. Finally we were seated at 7:59pm almost 30 minutes after our reservations. There was no apology nor accountability, just simply that the other people didn't clear out in time and there was little to be done. The owner was rude and imperious and denied that we had to wait 30 minutes when we complained (yes we exaggerated by a minute or 2 so possibly on a 28 minute wait). Possibly great food (although we wouldn't possibly know) but once we discovered that the rude "hostess" was indeed the owner, we elected to leave. I wouldn't want to enfranchise such poor behavior. Perhaps the food is outstanding. Certainly, if you want to wait and be treated as though your are very lucky to have such a dining experience, this is your place. Perhaps it exceeds Le Cing at the George V but I prefer kindness.

7 Thank ML W
elmezeowner, Owner at El Meze Restaurant, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
I have been waiting for this review. I have to sort of smile at the title “Entitled” since that is exactly what I would have characterized you and your family’s behavior. Yes, you had a 7:30 and yes, your table was not available when you arrived. I try to seat all my reservations within 15 minutes of their scheduled reservation. In the 6 years that I have been open, I have only had 3 times where this did not happen and yours unfortunately made it the 4th. I really thought I would have that table by 7:45 so advised you it would be 10-15 minutes. You got annoyed from the get go about this since the only place to stand is the entrance to the hostess stand because we do not have a bar. You decided to go outside and then came back in within 10 minutes. Because I was on the floor trying to help my server speed up the customers on your table (by clearing and getting the bill paid) as well as look for any other options, you assumed I was ignoring you so proceeded to flag down 2 of my busy servers who both told you the same thing that I was trying to get your table and would be with you momentarily. With you glaring at me, I did explain that I was having a hard time getting the customers on this table to leave but instead of having any understanding, you took a condescending attitude along with a threatening tone about your dad being ex-military and having time and anger issues. Then you proceeded to question why I could not give you the table set for 5 (which was for reservation at 7:30 that came at 7:45). I don’t know why I took the time to explain to you the layout of my small restaurant since it did not make any difference what so ever. You already had your mind made up that I was intentionally dissing you which is probably why you mentioned the other reservation that got seated before you but forgot to mention that it was for a deuce who went to a table that could only seat two. I got tired of being glared at by you and your family so I stopped standing at the hostess stand. When I finally got your table set (and it wasn’t even the original one – they were still here even after being advised that we needed the table) you proceeded to tell me what I had to and needed to comp for you. You talk about wanting kindness but I am not sure why you would think it would be reciprocated when it wasn’t ever given by you or your family. Instead of seating you I should have told you to go which would have saved a lot of angst all around since you did end up leaving after the server poured water. I do know where you went after you left and heard all about your etiquette which is a term being used loosely here.
FYI - the 3 tables in the past that I did not seat in a timely manner, even though they were not happy about it, they did understand unlike you that sometimes the best laid plans can go astray with no malicious intent what so ever. For that understanding and being gracious, their dining experience was completely compensated.
Cannon Falls, Minnesota
“LIVED UP TO REVIEWS”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

After a month in Taos we finally made it to El Meze, food and service were excellent, Harley our server did a great job with wine selection and service. All of the staff were attentive and the decor was very cozy Southwest. We will dine here again next year.