“I Had to Ask if I was in the Right Place” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Governor Bent House and Museum

Governor Bent House and Museum
Ranked #72 of 92 things to do in Taos
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of the first territorial governor of New Mexico, which features adobe architecture, 19th-century frontier artifacts and family furnishings.
Denver, Colorado
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“I Had to Ask if I was in the Right Place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife, 11 month old son and I stopped by the Governor Bent House and Museum during our visit in early September 2013. I was really looking forward to this Museum having just visited Bent's Fort and in a "Bent Kick". We paid out $3 per person, and the owner directed us to a stand with an 8.5" x 11" print out of how the raid on the house took place. ... And that was it. I actually went back and asked if there was anything else pertaining to Governor Bent. Nope.

Check out the museum if you are interested in random junk, some of which is from the same "time period" that Bent lived, but if you are interested in learning more about Bent, spend $6 on a coffee and go to the library. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in this "museum".

Visited September 2013
2 Thank mikeindenver_303

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Read about Governer Bent's life and time in Taos instead”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Now I get that everyone has the right to make a buck, however this attraction left me feeling a bit ripped off. As is the way in Taos, this attraction also has a trinket shop where you pay the entry fee to enter the museum. The first room is cluttered with old items from about everywhere but Taos. There's typed account of Gov. Bent's demise and 2 artifacts associated with that. That 2 page account is about all you will gain from this attraction - as the Governer's home was looted and his belongings destroyed (thus the absence of relevant materials). All said & done 1 small room, a small hallway like pass through & you are back where you started. Disappointed to say the least. Do your own research on Gov. Bent, you will learn more, see as much and pay less for your trouble.

Visited August 2013
“Fun funky museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

We stopped by this museum after seeing the Kit Carson Museum. It is a fabulous piece of history. The clerk there gave us a wonderful little tour. Told us a lot of history of the town and about the Carson and Bent homes. Definitely worth going. We loved all the items in the home. They had a collection of barb wire; and my daughter had just done a big report in school on it. So we thought that was funny.

Visited August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Very funky museum!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

Stepping into this museum is like travelling back into time. The collection of artifacts is eclectic, to say the least. A baby shark skeleton? All sorts of odd and old things that aren't associated with the Governor, his life, or times. Odd -- but interesting! The best part is the part of the wall that was scooped out by Kit Carson's wife Josefa, and other women, in an effort to escape death. Governor Bent talked to the Native Americans who were rebelling, buying time for the escape, but at the cost of his life. (For a different point of view on these events, go to the Taos Pueblo.)

Visited April 2013
Denver, Colorado
166 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“It's okay!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

It's definitely about a part of the history of this place. The gentleman that was working there can tell you plenty of interesting stories about the museum. There is a minimal fee to get in, but that helps to keep the doors open.
The museum is a little rough around the edges, but it is interesting. It is not a very large place either. Beware though they had yellow jackets in the front area. It's a nice place to stop if you have a few minutes and are looking to learn a few things.

Visited May 2012