“Excellent experience”

Taos Snowshoe Adventures
Ranked #8 of 17 Tours in Taos
More attraction details
Owner description: Join Taos Snowshoe Adventures for a special opportunity to explore New Mexico's winter wilderness, with a naturalist guide. We offer 1/2 and Full Day Snowshoe Guided Snowshoe Tours, Overnight Backcountry Yurt Trips, and 2 hr. "Learn to Snowshoe" hikes, in the majestic Sangre de Cristo Mountains, near Taos and Santa Fe. Learn about local ecology, natural history, and wilderness skills. Snowshoes and poles, hot beverages and snacks included."If You Can Walk, You Can Snowshoe!"
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stuart was very knowledgeable and experienced as a guide. Although I had worn snowshoes in the past, he worked to improve my skills during an enjoyable excursion tailored to my capabilities. His knowledge of the area, flora and fauna made the time interesting and informative.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank buyad

Taos, New Mexico
“AWESOME TRIP”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We had an awesome snowshoeing adventure with this guy! He was amazing. Not only did he take us on an amazing hike he also made us a break lunch and had snacks! I loved that he knew so much about the area and he was educating us around every corner over the different trees and nature it was just an amazing trip. Such good company and such a good guy I would definitely go again.

Visited March 2014
Houston, Texas
“Unforgettable moonlit snowshoe hike”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I very rarely review holiday experiences online (yes, I am a flawed citizen of the Internet) but it says something that I feel compelled to write a review of this hike. We were met by our guide Stuart at the trailhead (cellphone coverage is patchy so be sure you doublecheck ahead of time with the company where you should meet him) where he reviewed safety and made sure we were properly kitted out (handwarmers are included, you will be very glad of them, lights were very useful too). Snowshoeing is pretty intuitive and the ones he provided afforded very sure footing, from slick hard ice to deepish snow drifts. Apart from his practical knowledge of hiking in the wild, Stuart is an extremely well read student of a variety of interesting topics, all of which touch in some way upon the New Mexico wilderness. As a scientist I was impressed by his grasp of a wide range of subjects, from botany (aspens propagate using rhizomes - who knew?) to contact between ancient civilizations and extraterrestrials, and was doubly impressed by the fact that he has taken part in a variety of scientific studies in the area, so he's no dilettante. Half way through the hike we plonked down in a snowdrift and were treated to a hot drink and a snack whilst basking in the moonlight. I was disappointed when I noticed the glare of my light reflecting off the road signs where the cars were parked. One more safety check (both vehicles start?) and we were off, with a wonderful experience indelibly imprinted in our memories. Thanks Stuart and thanks Taos Snowshoe Adventures!

Visited January 2014
Tyler, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Don't miss the BEST part of your holiday”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Our snowshoeing adventure was amazing. Being out in the forest covered in snow is truly incredible, combine that with our gifted guide Stuart, and you have an unforgettable experience. They know what they are doing. You'll want to go again the next day. Age, ability, interest level, doesn't matter, Stuart has a way of introducing the great outdoors which is captivating, and he knows when to rest. I'm very thankful for such an amazing day.

Visited December 2013
Houston, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A "Must Do" for Taos”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

If you go to Taos or Angel Fire, put Taos Snowshoe Adventures on your definate list of things to do. Our children were reluctant to go (as usual), but once on the trail they were very interested and one ended up leading the hike. My Wife and I were in the back as we are around 50 yo, don't exercise as much as we should and our home elevation is 209' MSL. We were never made to feel as if we held anyone up or wasted anyone's time, and were allowed breaks to catch our breath.

Our youngest is a Boy Scout and Stuart knew everything to involve him in, because he is an Adult Leader in his local pack. He also included us, our older children and the other family with us in lessons of the wilderness and wildlife. He has a degree in Environmental Biology and is very knowledgeable.

In all, we WILL do this again when we visit Taos next time.

Visited March 2013