“Good food”

Ranked #26 of 131 Restaurants in Taos
Price range: US$6 - US$12
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The vision The El Gamal vision is to provide healthy, affordable, tasty, made from scratch, vegetarian Middle Eastern food, with the intent to promote peace in a non political manner through evolving people's consciousness and taste buds.
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My husband and I, a couple of beef eaters had no idea what we were walking into, we just read Middle Eastern and thought, yum! We looked at the menu, then my husband (rancher by the way) asked me what the v meant on most of the menu? Lol! Our great server suggested the Lentil Burger and fries for him. He really liked it, and it was a beautiful plate of food, filled him up. I ordered a sampler with stuffed grape leaves, falafel, and Israeli salad, all very good and the bread was so good. And our server (can't recall her name) brought out some butter for me to go on the bread, so good! The young man who is the owner and chef does a wonderful job, and the young woman who was our server was kind, helpful and fun. We really enjoyed our lunch. I noticed a couple of people coming in and buying beautiful round loaves of bread, wish I had bought one.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Fantastic Israeli breakfasts, and delicious vegetarian entrees for lunch, too. Try the sampler plate if you're undecided. Don't miss the fries; they're cooked with onions. Yum! Everything is home made and fresh. Great place to meet friends.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

This food is created with love light of the highest vibration! Feeding the soul. My every cell sings from the nourishment I received through this meal. This food is real. This food is pure. Clean and beautiful. Thank you! El Gamal! you are an oasis for a vegan traveler!

Reviewed 31 July 2013

This was one surprise of our visit to the Southwest. After a week of Mexican/New Mexican food, my family (2 adults, 2 teens) was in the mood for something different. We happened upon El Gamal in the heart of Taos for dinner one night. We are Middle Eastern food devotees, and this is one of the best Middle Eastern meals we have had. The restaurant is run by an Israeli family, and the atmosphere is laid-back and familial. There seems to be some sort of play space in the back for younger kids, even at dinner time. Everything tastes fresh and delicious; there are some inventive specials that stretch the envelope of "Middle Eastern" very nicely; the baklava and halvah were tremendous. Intelligent, helpful, but non-obsequous service. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

If you're burned out on green chile or enchiladas (but how could you be?), make sure to stop at El Gamal for fresh, delicious Middle Eastern food. They also have good coffee, beer and wine, and it's a great spot to linger - people watch, write in your journal, or polish off that basket of freshly baked pita bread. Yum.