“Artistic, Wonderful New Mexico Charm”

Inger Jirby's Guest Houses
Ranked #9 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Taos
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Inger's guest houses are located on the famous Ledoux Street, known for it's charm and artistic ambiance. I have been traveling to Taos for about the last 7 years and always go to this street to see what is going on. Inger's Studio has always been one of my favorites and I always wanted to stay in her guest houses. Last year I had the privilege to finally get my chance. I felt like I had finally come to a warm and welcoming home away from home.
I have already made my reservations for next year and would recommend it for all occasions. A quiet business meeting, a romantic couples retreat, a true family atmosphere and of course a great gathering spot for friends and as far as solo, very safe and secure.
A true Taos experience!

Room Tip: Either would be a great choice.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank suzymoritz
IngerJirbyManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Inger Jirby's Guest Houses, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We are truly delighted to hear how much you enjoyed staying with us and we are looking forward to your next of many stays with us.

Inger Jirby & Sara Langham

Reviewed 13 November 2011

Ingar has one of the most quaint casitas in New Mexico. Her hospitality is second to none. We were lucky that she had space available for our trip to Taos. Ingar welcomed us as if we were her own family. Our room was perfect and the price was superb. We plan on staying with her each time we take our holiday to New Mexico. Thank you Ingar. Oh by the way, her art gallery is absolutely stunning.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Makana90
Reviewed 2 November 2011

My wife and I have lived in Santa Fe for nearly 30 years, and still love it. About 3 times a year however, we like to take quick getaway, long weekend trips to Taos to relax, shop and enjoy the laid back ambiance of beautiful Taos. We stayed at a good number of B&B's, Inns and a few hotels before stumbling upon Inger's Casita's on quiet, historic Ledoux St.. Ever since, we have never booked lodging anywhere else. I believe the last count was 23 or 24 stays. We have enjoyed all the seasons there, from the warm monsoon summers, amazing fall colors, through enchanted winter snows, and thawing springs. The casita's are amazingly large and comfortable - not to mention charmingly decorated with her art and collections. We always bring our favorite breakfast foods and cook in the fully equipped kitchens. Lunch and dinner we enjoy Taos' selection of fun restaurants, but we are very happy to have the kitchen handy for making tea late at night. Inger and staff have always made us feel special, and welcomed. Taos is a very special destination even when Santa Fe is so close, and Inger Jirby's Casitas have become our home away from home.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Before I write another word, let me first say that Inger Jirby’s two casitas are chock full of New Mexican ambiance with great colors, textures, and artwork. I would have probably enjoyed a short stay at Jirby’s had it not been so uncomfortable dealing with the owner. For though the apartments are lovely with large windows, stone floors, colorful throw rugs, comfy furniture and whimsical art, they are tired around the edges, and need to be deep cleaned.
There was much which needed repair and therein lay the problem. I had rented the casita for the winter, hoping to complete a writing project in the peace of off-season Taos. However, broken windows, shower heads, CD player, internet and a landlady who thought it perfectly normal to pound with a rock on the door early in the morning were not what I had bargained for. Jirby’s temper – she often shouted obscenities, even grabbed my by the shoulders and shook me once -- was unmanageable and often made me uncomfortable. She continually complained about plumbing and electrical costs being too expensive, and asked me to “make do.” Indeed, I slept with a wool scarf around my neck for three weeks before the two windows over my bed were finally fixed by her assistant Mary who gallantly climbed out on the roof and repaired them herself.
On arrival, I was told that housekeeping was not part of the rental. There were no cleaning supplies and it was suggested that I pay for Jirby’s staff to clean the place every week or so. Because I was paying a hefty rent, I declined and asked for a vacuum. There were no mops for the floor --cleansers, and paper goods were not supplied.
Jirby had two ancient electric lamps with fake plastic logs in the kivas – one in the living room, another in the kitchen. Signs were posted on the mantels saying fires were not permitted. I asked Jirby if I might make a fire every now and again and was told neither Kiva worked. However, when the natural gas crisis hit Taos and we were without gas for nearly a week, Jirby showed up at my door saying that perhaps they did in fact work. And sure enough! She supplied me with wood, and I camped in the living room for the remainder of the week. The natural gas crisis was clearly not her fault, but the fib was.
In the end when the internet was “accidentally” turned off, I asked Jirby when it would be turned back on. For six days, I was told it would be turned on the following day. Finally, unable to work without the internet, I decided to leave 10 days early, and requested a refund for the balance of my stay, which I finally – after much shouting, and threatening to go to the chamber of commerce and the police if necessary – received a check. I can unequivocally say that I have never had a more dismal experience with a rental. I had hoped for a peaceful time in one of the most beautiful spots in the country and was instead faced with a slew of problems and a landlady whose rudeness was quite frankly alarming.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
18  Thank sallybeagle
Reviewed 25 January 2010

We have been going to Taos for about three decades. This last time in January 2010, we were lucky enough to get a decent deal on renting one of Inger Jirby's casitas. Look them up under "Inger Jirby's Casitas" and book through her site by calling--these casitas are also listed as rentals on some of the big vacation sites, but for much more than we paid.

Inger Jirby is a colorist artist. Her gallery is right next to the apartments; she met us in there with some chocolates and eggnog and gave us a tour of her shop. Her paintings are fun and stylized and really awash with color. Her gallery is full of light.

The casitas next door are decorated fabulously, both with her artwork and an assortment of other artwork and eclectic furnishings. If you don't get her style in the gallery, you will in the casitas. Her paintings are just perfect.

We stayed in the largest casita--ask for the bigger one with the door on the right side. Our casita had a charming entryway with a small table for breakfast and two couches back-to-back facing an adobe fireplace. The kitchen to the right was enormous and fully equipped.

The living room had a trundle bed, another large couch and chairs, and a lot of room. However, this isn't really describing the place adequately, because it's the interior decor that makes this place so fabulous. Artifacts are combined with funky furniture, her paintings, and terrific rugs to make this really special.

Upstairs was a loft bedroom, accessible by a circular staircase. I've attached some pictures, some of which look dark. That would just be due to me! The casita has lots of light, both between great windows and skylights.

These casitas have more than just their own outstanding charm to recommend them--they're also at the beginning of Ledoux Street, and all of the galleries on the street are terrific. They're also about half a block from the town square, so you can pretty much walk to all of the downtown galleries in a flash.

Now Inger said she is considering turning these into long-term rentals, so if I were going to Taos, I would book her in a flash as they may not be available much longer.

To give you an idea on price, expect these to probably be more expensive, but not outrageously so, than the better hotels. However, I'm pretty sure I got ours for quite a bit less than the town's best bed-and-breakfast (even considering we had to cook our own!). So for us, this was a serious splurge, but her casita was definitely the loveliest place we've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank treeforest
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We've visited Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Taos. If there's a better value in the state - I will book it.
Our casita was outstanding (for 1-4 people). It had comfortable, useful furnishings:
2 beds, large great room table, small kitchen table, great galley kitchen, 2 couches, well placed lighting, many outlets, wi-fi...
It had ample, tasteful supplies of pillows, blankets, towels, etc. The kitchen has all the utensils for a long or short stay.
My wife and I are in our early 60's, - the spiral staircase was no problem. The loft floor plan puts the bathroom and one queen bed upstairs, one bed, in the great room, down.
The location is quiet, but near the old square, and easily accessible to the mountains, skiing, and (as a last resort) shopping.
Inger's is the place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2008

We stayed in the Red Hawk casita for 2 days in June 2008. We checked in with Heather who works in the adjoining gallery. Heather was friendly and helpful with directions in the area. We loved the space and the fun and bright decorations and paintings. The 'entertainment center' included the Wii game which turned out to be a lot of fun to use. Our only issue was that the kitchen did not have any coffee mugs or teacups which were the only things we needed the kitchen for. We left a note because we assume this was only a temporary problem. Also one other TripAdvisor review mentions a fridge stocked with fixings for breakfast--the casitas do not provide any breakfast foods but Taos has plenty of places to eat a yummy morning meal.

• Stayed: June 2008