“Outstanding!”
Review of El Monte Sagrado

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 16 September 2012

My 4 girlfriends and I had the pleasure of staying here for 2 nights . What an amazing place! The rooms were spacious and beautifully appointed. Food was excellent, the grounds were landscaped so naturally. Would be a perfect place for a wedding. But by far ,it was the staff that shined. We met a gentalman named D Crowfeather that took care of the grounds. He took the time to show us many different aspects of the eco-system that makes this place so special and answered many questions that we had. He also gave us all a gift that he had handmade for each of us.This was MUCH more than an average hotel stay. We had the most amazing time . He went out of his way to make sure our stay was memorable. It was, and more! I'll definately be back!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for El Monte Sagrado

Reviewed 15 September 2012

We spent two nights at EMS on a recent New Mexico trip. The hotel has lovely public areas that were well thought out, comfortable, and at times stunningly beautiful and surprising to see in a town location. There is an element of environmental pro-activity here with their recycling of waste waters; very nice design implemented. We stayed in a native american suite which was cute. It consists of a small living room with fireplace, TV, and mini-fridge; a separate bedroom, and a bathroom. The living room had a door opening to the lovely grounds and water features outside, however, you were land locked and could not meander through the grounds from your back door. You had to walk all the way around to the back of the hotel to access the courtyard public areas from our room. Not a big deal as it made our patio very private. Their larger suites (almost cottages) looked truly wonderful and even more private. The bedroom was adequate and the bed was comfy. We requested feather free room and did not get it. I expected the ELS to be able to accomplish this small request...they actually solicit the customer, yet it was overlooked (these small details being overlooked are what detracted from the stay being rated higher). There was a very good sized closet, dresser, and safe in the room. The bathroom for impressive, yet not altogether functional. The large Jacuzzi tub/shower combination was difficult to get in and out of, slippery, and just not practical. One had to step over a ledge of about 2' wide just to get into the shower/tub. Granted they provided an oil rubbed bronze pole to do this, it may not be appropriate for everyone to make this climb daily. The sink area was very functional with plenty of space. Plenty of towels for guests use. Housekeeping was excellent. We ate both breakfast and room service dinner at the hotel. Breakfast quality was very good, service was quite slow. This hotel was fairly crowded the days we were there and it was evident they were understaffed for the number of guests. The restaurant and bar was always slow. Bartenders seemed continually overworked and barely acknowledged you when you sat down. They waited tables and tended bar, slowing the bar service even more. This was more than once and more than one bartender....it occurred on four occasions. The hotel needs to seriously rethink how they manage their staffing situation. Room service was a much better experience. The meals came quickly, were pleasantly presented and very good. All in all, we would entertain staying again for the right price, yet wouldn't hesitate to try one of the local B&B's instead if we returned to Taos.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

I stayed at this resort in July 2012 with my family of four (two daughters, aged 7 and 9). We stayed in the "Argentina" suite, which has two bedrooms, two baths, a large dining area and living room as well as its own private hot tub. Not all of the rooms have hot tubs, as we found out when our neighbor came snooping into our area.

The suites are generally separated with fences to give privacy. It felt like an oasis.

This is a very peaceful resort. There was a bubbling stream outside, a tranquility central area and a fun circular pool and indoor garden area. It is also very close to the downtown area so we walked a lot.

The restaurant was good. The service was alright but not polished. (For example, the person checking us in stopped to help another guest and servers were not as professional as one would have expected for this type of property.) For the price you pay, you expect top-notch service, which is why I give it 4 stars instead of 5.

Room Tip: The themed suites are awesome. Get one with a hot tub!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2012

This property is beautiful and serene. The front desk staff was amazing. We were booked to stay 1 night (Sep 2, 2012) but decided to stay another night because we fell in love with El Monte Sagrado. The sacred garden and common areas in the hotel were beautiful. At night, we enjoyed sitting around the fire pit having drinks and talking with other guests.

We stayed in the premium casita, Bali. The casita had a Balinese motif. It also had a front courtyard with a garden and a back courtyard. The back courtyard had a pear tree and a covered patio with a dining seat.

The room had the following: kiva style fireplace, large bathroom with a rain shower, small sitting room and dining table.

I would have rated the property excellent, if I had not encountered the following issues (I expect better from the Marriott's Autograph properties):
- When we got to our room, there was a dead fly on the bathroom floor and a loose pebble. At first I forgave the existence of the fly, because it could have died in the bathroom after the unit was cleaned. However, on Sep 3rd after the unit was serviced, the dead fly and loose pebble were still on the floor!
- I woke up on Sep 3rd and used the Tazo orange tea bag to make a cup of tea. The tea bag was not replaced so I could not have a cup of tea on Sep 4th.
- On Sep 3rd our dirty face cloths were removed from the bathroom but we were NOT given clean face cloths.
- We checked in about 9:00 PM. We got to the restaurant around 9:40 PM and there was no hostess to seat us. After about 10 minutes we figured out that we weren't going to be seated so we went to the bar and ordered food. While in the bar, a waitress from the restaurant shouted the following to the bartender, "Is this the $10 glass of wine?" I thought that was rude and unprofessional.
- The bamboo shade on the back door didn't have a blackout liner. Consequently, the sun filled the room with light in the early morning hours. So we woke up at the crack of dawn.
- The small window on the front of the casita didn't have a window cover. Consequently, light entered the room in the early morning hours.
- The lock on the backdoor locked when it closed. I didn't figure this out until I locked myself out of the room. I had to wait for my boyfriend to come back to the room to let me into the casita.

Room Tip: Stay in a casita.
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We just returned from a wonderful stay at El Monte Sagrado. We stayed for four nights in one of the Native American Suites. It was the perfect size for our family (two small kids) with a great porch overlooking the koi ponds, a working fireplace, nice sized fridge, and beautiful furnishings. My kids loved the hot tub and pools. The grounds are lovely and peaceful. I appreciated the fact that maid service was very timely each day. With small kids, we are normally out the door early and return around midday for a rest. This is the first place I've ever stayed where the room was cleaned for us first thing in the morning when we left. I loved that!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This property is amazing. I will spare you the details because they could not do this hotel justice. If you are inTaos, you must stay here. My big fear is that El Monte Segrado becomes so popular that next time I am in Taos I will not be able to get a room. SPECTACULAR.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Beautiful foliage and an amazing entrance greets you, more greenery is throughout the grounds & ponds! The well shaded adobe style property allows you to enjoy the views w/benches, calming water fountains, sm apple trees & lush grass. The SW style room was peaceful, lg tub, fireplace, balcony, tasteful decorations. 2 pools: 3-4 ft (small) & 10ft. Jogged to nearby Kit Carson Park; very nice. Kids enjoyed. Walking distance to Taos plaza. Shuttle drivers very nice & courteous. Staff friendly!

• Stayed: September 2012