“Could be great, but very good non the less!”
Review of El Monte Sagrado

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Melbourne, Australia
“Could be great, but very good non the less!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed with the family as a base for some skiing between Christmas and New Year. The rooms were nice and large, split between a living room with pull out sofa and the master bedroom. Nice pool and decent bar. The bathroom looked great, but the bath/shower combination was very unpractical and not suitable for people who have trouble climbing (the only way to get in).

Sadly, the restaurant service was average and slow. Breakfast is a la carte only and took forever even when we said we were in a hurry. The bar is decent and the hotel is only a short walk from Taos town with many options and an eclectic feel. All in all, I would certainly stay here again. With a few minor adjustments this could be a great place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Travellerwithoutname

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
DeForest, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night and was able to get a descent price because it's off season! The hotel and the property is enchanting. The staff are very nice and very professional. I said almost perfect but the parking charge. The hotel charge us $20 daily just by parking on their property. Since it's off season , we did not use the Valet service as the parking is wide open and very convenient. But to say that this automatic charge is very disappointing. I just hope they give it to those guys at the front that works so hard!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank saniel5
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had high hopes for this hotel, but we were disappointed in several ways. First of all, there are only two people in the front lobby to check people in - during the holiday season. I realize that it takes time to check someone in, but another person just to tell arriving guests that someone will be with them shortly, or to tell them about the property, or just something instead of waiting, waiting and not even being greeted. We did get checked in and received the key to our room, which was very nice. We had a ground floor room with a nice little patio, even tho it was a bit cold to utilize it. The bellman brought our bags in a very timely manner, so an "A" on that one.

The next day at one point, my key to the room stopped working so back to the front desk I went. Again, there were two people working the lobby and wait, wait, wait. All it would have taken is to have one more person there that could easily rekey my card key to my room. So the front desk staff gets a "C" on helpfulness.

The restaurant was just ok. Again, they are just missing the mark. The service is unremarkable and slow. We had made reservations for the New Year's Eve dinner and when we went to check on our reservation, we were told that yes, they had our reservation for 4 people. We had made reservations for 7. Huh? At first the restaurant manager told us that he just wasn't sure he could accommodate us but that he would see what he could do. No apologies for the misunderstanding, just repeating that we only had a reservation for 4. Our trip was planned with 7 people from the beginning of September, when we MADE the reservations. At the end of the day, he made us a place in the wine room for dinner, which was very nice. However I found out later that it was after our friend "had a little chat" with him. So again, missing the mark on service and putting the customer first..

I will give the spa an "A". They were very nice, attentive and the service was wonderful.

All in all, I rate this hotel very average. We have stayed in hotels all over the world and quite frankly for upwards of $300 per night, I certainly expected a whole lot more! We probably won't stay here again. If it were closer to the square, maybe. But since our experience was just "meh", we won't be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blondie105
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Our apologies for the issues you encountered that diminished your enjoyment of our resort. You are absolutely correct that we could have done a better job to greet our guests at check in. Our General Manager was in the Front Desk area much of her time to assist in this manner but her duties called her away at times. We are sorry for any miscommunications regarding your dinner reservation. We did work to accommodate your needs as quickly as possible. We hope you enjoyed our wine room. Many guests love the privacy it affords. Should you decide to give us another chance to serve you on your next visit to Taos, please contact Tina Harlow, our GM at 575-737-9820 to allow us an opportunity to provide personalized service to you and your family.
Florida
Reviewed 5 January 2014

As soon as we entered El Monte i knew we made the right decision. The great service started at the valet and then continued on as we checked in. It was a breeze. We opted for the premier suite because we wanted a little more room than just a hotel room. Our suite was the Tibet suite and it was very spacious and nice. The only complaint is that our light in the shower did not work and we notified the front desk but it was never repaired, but we did not let this interrupt our vacation.Not that big of a deal. The Anaconda bar was great and had excellent cocktails and seasonal drinks. I was puzzled on how nice the Restraunt was but it was missing something?? The food was good the room was beautiful but had not atmosphere, maybe some music would do it.For the caliber of this hotel we did have a few problems with room service for breakfast. No silver ware on one round , so how do you put cream cheese on a bagel with no knife?The coffee came with no cups during one of our orders. We were not expecting this at this level of hotel. But honestly this is just for the review that i am trying to be thorough with. we really enjoyed the property and would stay again. I think it is the best place to stay in Taos area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We found this by accident and sadly only stayed one night. The room was fantastic, tub in the middle of the room! Great military rate, shuttle I was very happy staying here and would definitely come back and try some of the amenities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is a great hotel in Taos. We really had a nice stay. The service was friendly, courteous and attentive. Our room #32 the Painted House was really amazing. It was a casita with an adobe style fireplace, excellent bed and nice furnishings. The bathroom was spacious and had lovely bathroom products, shampoos, etc. We also had a back sitting area.
The property is quite lovely too with wooded lots, winding paths and attention to details.

PROS:
Hotel is a great property
Rooms amazing
Bed Comfortable and room very quiet.
Great spa, gym and pool areas were all clean and working properly

CONS:
TV reception was limited, most stations were static
No mini bar in room or store to get a bottle of water, snack, etc.
The restaurant is simply terrible. We had breakfast there one day (and that was enough) and Christmas dinner which was not good. Christmas dinner was a prix-fixe menu $45/three course dinner. The service was non-existent so much so that when my me came out I wanted to return it because my steak was basically raw (I asked for medium). The waiter was nowhere to be found. I never was able to order more wine. Another waiter brought us water and took our dessert orders. I then had to literally get up and walk around to find our waiter to get the check. Our waiter never acknowledged any of this and/or asked how everything was. My meal if one can call it that, was sub-par and very upsetting for a big-Christmas celebration. Breakfast the next day was the same ordeal with regards to service. There was one other table occupied and we couldn't get anybody to come to our table with coffee. Breakfast for two was $53. I had coffee, juice and eggs/bacon as well as my partner. Breakfast shouldn't be that expensive I would avoid the restaurant. This area of the hotel needs major attention as it is well adrift from the standards being placed upon it from other areas of the hotel.
On a return to Taos I would stay at this lovely property; I just would stay very clear of eating ever again in the restaurant (especially with so many local-Taos options).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brklynrider
Lewisville
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The hotel is unique and a beautiful property. However several little things affected the stay. Upon check-in, the front desk stated the room was ready and gave me a key. After hauling my luggage up to the room, the maid was in the room and said it would take her another 40 minutes. We had to haul the luggage back down to the front desk ask waited for 45 minutes. No one from the front desk even checked on us, or asked if there was an issue. During the 45 minute wait, we also noticed several other hotel guests having issues. The hotel room was very nice EXCEPT for the tub/shower. You have to use a step to get up to get into the tub and then there is an over 2 foot step down into the tub. It was very difficult for my wife and I to get into and out of the tub, and dangerous. They need to warn guests of this, especially with children or older guests. Dinner at the restaurant was OK. Service was slow. The entrees were acceptable. The upside down apple pie was excellent. Worth going to the restaurant just for the pie. Breakfast at the restaurant was terrible. No buffet, just order from the menu. Both my wifes and my eggs and bacon were cold. And by the time we got our food, the coffee was cold. For Gold/Platinum members, be aware the breakfast coupon they give you is not valid for any hot breakfast item. Only a muffin. Even though I had the Platimum coupon, they even charge me $3.50 for a cup of coffee and another $3.50 for a cup of tea.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chester M
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Sorry for the issues you encountered. We are continuously working to make improvements in our property and service and appreciate this information. We only wish we had known about this at the time so we had the opportunity to fix things on the spot and ensure you left satisfied. We will strive to ensure your next visit meets your expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taos
Sagebrush Inn & Suites
The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
The Blake
The Blake
#1 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley

Been to El Monte Sagrado? Share your experiences!