“elegant suite,exceptional staff”
Review of El Monte Sagrado

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Let me preface my remarks by saying every staff member I dealt with could not have been more gratious.It started with the young lady who picked up my car,the lovely young lady who checked me in,to the gentleman who helped show me how the ac worked..
The room was absoluitely wonderful.It had two suites that were beautiful.My only concern with the room is that the suite had a nice table to either eat or play games at.The table only had three chairs.The living room was beautiful.My problem was that as the couch was very comfortable and could seat three people there should have a comfortable separate chair for the fourth person,
The beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were wonderful.I muswt admit we did not eat in the restaurant as friends had recommened other places in town,The place itself is beautiful as are the grounds.I did not mind the valet fee as it was convenient..

Room Tip: If you have a regular room rather than a suite find a room that is close to where you check in or yo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mainelytravel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,221)

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We recently stayed in the Tibet suite which was lovely. The check in was great and the staff were very helpful with recommendations for restaurants and things to do. The room was beautiful although I was really looking forward to a bathtub but this suite only had a shower. The pool is lovely but we had to travel outside to get to it and it was very cold outside (a covered entrance would have been nice) The price was reasonable for a 5 star hotel but it was really annoying to have to pay $20 extra for valet parking. We actually self-parked while we were there and were still charged for parking. When you are staying in a hotel this nice they should include parking. I would be more than happy to tip the valet but an additional charge of $20 was inappropriate. This was not New York City there was more than enough parking close by and this should not have been an extra charge.

Room Tip: When you check in make sure you ask if your room has a bathtub.
1  Thank debbythec
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed 5 nights in a Native American Suite last week with our 2 daughters for Spring Break ski trip. The hotel is fine, and the grounds/pool area are nice, but overall the service was not up to par for this level of hotel. We spent the last 3 nights of our trip at the Hyatt Tamaya Resort and even our daughters commented on the extreme upgrade in service between the 2 properties. The "suite" was the most cramped suite I have ever encountered. Once the sofa was converted into a bed, there was no space to move in the living room. We couldn't even open the mini-fridge without folding up the bed. There also were no drawers or space to store clothes outside of the one bedroom. My wife actually utilized the safe as a "drawer" for the girls' clothes! The 2 end tables in the living room had faux-drawers, which didn't help the situation.

As mentioned in another review, the housekeeping was pathetic-maybe the worst I have ever encountered. Our shower head was just pouring water straight down the wall of the shower, as it needed to be tightened (maintenance took care of this after I complained). In the five nights we were there, we never received 4 sets of towels despite numerous requests, and never received new soap, shampoo, etc. after our initial arrival. Many days, our dirty glasses were not cleaned at all, and a dirty champagne flute from the bar remained on our desk for 4 days.

Our trip started off on the wrong foot when no one at "Guest Services" would answer the phone at 10pm for our wake up call request. I had to leave a message, hoping someone at a 4 star hotel would pick up the message over night. No such luck. The next night, after reaching no one via phone, my daughter and I walked down to reception to request a wake up call at 7:15. At 7:35am the next morning, we received our wake up call, which consisted of an apology, saying sorry I am "10 minutes" (not 20!!) late because I was helping a guest. I quickly dressed and walked down to reception, where I found 3 unoccupied workers chatting about their evenings the night before. Had all 3 of them been helping guests at 7:15???

While my wife was checking out on our final morning, the phone at reception never stopped ringing, but neither of the other 2 free employees ever answered the phone. They must not believe in land line phones at El Monte Sagrado - maybe you need to text them...

While the valet staff was always very helpful and friendly, the parking lot at the resort is a disaster. There are not enough spaces for cars, and the drop off area is very tight so every day we encountered delays trying to get in/out of the parking area. We did not valet, as we did not want to pay $20/day for valet service and there was always (even early in the morning) a line to pick up your car. El Monte Sagrado did attempt to charge us the $20/day anyway until we had the charge removed from our bill. The hotel should consider buying up some of the adjacent properties for sale to expand their parking.

My final pet peeve was the room key de-magnetizing every day, whether placed in a wallet or near a cell phone. Seriously? Is this 1997? I travel constantly for work and haven't encountered such a technologically outdated key card system in at least 5 years.

My suggestion for families heading to Taos for a ski trip: rent a condo up at the mountain. I would never pay these prices for such poor service.

4  Thank Discriminating_Taste
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

We appreciate very much the time you took to share your experience at El Monte Sagrado with us. We take these communications very seriously and work to gain our guests loyalty back. You should already have received a message from a manager at the property to try and resolve the situation. If you would like to speak with a manager directly please feel free to call David Gaskins at 575-737-9853.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I do not like writing negative reviews- however I personally have been helped/saved some major dollars and grief, buy some of Tripadvisors other contributors and only hope my brutal honesty helps someone.
We were in Taos to ski with our ten year old for part of Spring break.
Short version:
Positive- awesome valet staff
unique property lay out
deep tub
clean spa (from what little I observed at 7 at night) and an AWESOME massage
Casual dining
Unique menu with good food, for the most part (will explain more below)

Negative-HORRIBLE HOUSEKEEPING
(we were there 5 nights and not once was the bathroom fully cleaned, coffee or tea bags replaced, or floor swept)
extremely slow dining, (Staff here was also polite and pleasant, but service was very slow) My other comment on the dining- we asked for a plain salad with nothing exotic, just lettuce with some tomatoes for our ten year old son, instead we got a salad with just lettuce and SARDINES!!!! (Umm he didnt want corn, why would he eat a sardine????????) explaining that was fruitless.
the tub and shower are connected and as mentioned in another review, near impossible to get in and out of for some people,
Only one phone worked in the suite
the tv in the living room kept getting shut off and we had to track down someone EVERYDAY to get it back on.....

At 300+ a night we were very disappointed.
If rooms elsewhere had been available, we would have not stayed the full five days.

The biggest concern is housekeeping.

I KNOW our room, tub or toilet were not cleaned. This is not something we should have to call the front desk about, period. You cant call the front desk in the evenings if you want help as there is no answer, instead we had to track someone down to get the tv turned back on for movie access and our house keeping was mentioned at that time.
We did not ask for the manager, which we should have, however just mentioning it at the front desk should have solved the problem.

I would not recommend this hotel, not because of slow dining service, but rather the questionable housekeeping, that made me wonder if the sheets and provided robes were freshly laundered.....,
We did not openly complain or seek out additional compensation, other than the mention at the front desk, which was ignored.
To be frank, I would have complained, if we had been able to find another hotel, but I was apprehensive about possible retribution by housekeeping- I KNOW it sounds ridiculous however, there is not a manager in your room every time, and I have worked for a big Resort before, not in housekeeping, but I know what can go on!

I understand, If you dont complain to MANAGEMENT, it does not give them a chance to fix the problems, however I have NEVER had these issue's at a resort, let alone a Marriott...........

5  Thank MtCowpony

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We are terribly sorry for the problems you experienced and we are addressing them all. By now you should have received a personal message from David Gaskins, our Rooms Director, to resolve the situation. If you have any further questions or comments we want to hear from you. Please contact David directly at 575-737-9853.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Come on! 20 bucks a night to park. I thought at least it would be covered,but, no, just a plain parking lot. I asked why so much to park, response "Limited Parking". There is limited Parking because 25% of the parking lot is dedicated for Employees. Twenty bucks a day in NY, SF, Chicago, ok, Taos, NM, No Way! Just a cash cow for a 3 star (at most) pretending to be a 5 star

13.95 for a slow Internet connection was also an insult. But, my biggest
COMPLAINT, a lousy sagging old mattress with worn out linens! I have stayed at Marriott properties on 4 continents and this one ranks near the bottom. There are many alternatives in Taos to this place and probably a lot cheaper as well.

3  Thank zepza
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We had a weekend there to eat at El Meze. The spa was beyond expectations. I own a small spa and have experienced high end services all over the world. This was beyond four seasons in terms of the decadent setting and trans-formative relaxation.

We did hydro therapy followed by scalp massages and reflexology. They really have a great staff. Congratulations for making our weekend away one of the best ever!

1  Thank lkilley
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

We are so happy you had such a great time. We know we have a great spa team but it is always wonderful to receive such positive feedback from someone else in the spa business.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My wife and I spent two nights at the El Monte Sagrado. We were upgraded to a Native American suite. The bathroom was really nice, though it was a little difficult getting in/out of bath/shower. There is a 2 1/2 foot wall and you need to use a pole (yes, POLE) to get in/out. It is a very deep bath and a powerful shower, so it was worth it (but caution to anyone with any physical disabilities). Our living area opened up to a small deck (we were on the 2nd floor), with two chairs and table, overlooking the inner court where you hear gently babbling water. Very comforting. My wife enjoyed the spa with a couple of treatments. We both enjoyed the indoor whirlpool (the pool was closed all three days we were there) also looking out on the inner court. We had drinks and a light dinner in the Anaconda Bar and it was good, not great, but convenient. We did breakfast one morning in the dining room - breakfast burrito and blue corn pancakes...both very good and good service. The location is about 1/4 mile from the Plaza which you can do on a nice, safe sidewalk.

The downside started with an email I was sent from the hotel asking me if I wanted to upgrade for $30/night. I hit the hyperlink to respond, which sent an email to the Manager of the hotel. I replied that I would like the upgrade and would consider an extra night if it was available. Never heard back (the upgrade I did get was probably due to my Platinum status with Marriott and it was still appreciated), so I booked a room in Santa Fe, where we were headed to after Taos, a day earlier. The other issue was on the day were to check-out, I called down to ask for a later time since my wife would be in the spa to at least 1 pm. I was told that they would call me back. No call back. When the maid came around 11 am, I told her I asked for a 2 pm checkout and she went to another room. Lastly, while the $20/night parking fee is clearly described, it is stupid. The valet is a good guy, but the parking lot is literally 20 feet from the valet stand. it is ALWAYS quicker to just get the car yourself.

Room Tip: I think the basic Taos Mountain room would be adequate, but an upgrade to the Native Amercian room g...
1  Thank Dave E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taos
The Historic Taos Inn
Hampton Inn Taos
Hampton Inn Taos
#5 of 15 in Taos
The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort

Been to El Monte Sagrado? Share your experiences!