“Peaceful Stay in 2 Bedroom Global "Spain" Suite”
Review of El Monte Sagrado

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Parker, Colorado
“Peaceful Stay in 2 Bedroom Global "Spain" Suite”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I booked a 3 night stay (Sunday-Wednesday) for a premier suite using Marriott Rewards Points plus money and was extremely pleased when my husband and I were upgraded to the 2 bedroom global “Spain” suite. Room upgrades are something Gold/Premier Elite members cannot always count on, but when they happen (especially at a fantastic place like El Monte Sagrado), visitors start valuing their Elite status and loyalty to Marriott.

The moment I first entered the global “Spain” suite, I knew it would earn a spot on my top 3 favorite places to stay. The suite offered unique decor, two bedrooms, two full baths with gorgeous tile work, ample lighting options (including dimmers), high beamed ceilings, and a private walled patio that wrapped around one half of the suite. Best of all, it only shared a small part of a wall — in the guest room — with the neighboring global suite. Other than that, there were no neighbors to the top, bottom, or other sides, and we had a very peaceful and quiet stay. The trouble was, I wanted to spend all of my time at my suite and large private patio instead of sightseeing around the Taos area.

Room recommendation: for those who value private outdoor space, I’d recommend avoiding the first floor southeastern-facing Taos Mountain Rooms. There is a path leading to and from the parking lot that skirts these units, and people on the lower floor patios are in full view of people using the path. The second floor decks don’t offer much more privacy, but probably have better views.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Elgin, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed for three days and just wish it could have been more. Luxe facilities, fabulous staff, gorgeous and restful grounds. Could not have been better, and considering what was offered, a very reasonable price. We would do this again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: They're all good.
Green Features: They make a point of green practices; all water is recycled, planting are complementary, food is locally sourced, artwork is local, materials are authentic.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at El Monte Sagrado and thoroughly enjoyed it. The grounds are beautiful, with water features everywhere. It was very relaxing and it felt like we were there for much longer than two days.We stayed in their standard king, which is anything but standard! We had a beautiful view of a grassy courtyard that was very well maintained with trees and flowering shrubs. The room itself had a soaking tub for two that situated between the bathroom and the bedroom. The bathroom was huge, and also had a shower.
The staff was very friendly. I would recommend dinner only once. The menu is not very extensive but we did find something the first nite. We dined in Taos the next night, at Martyr's. I would highly recommend! Very nice patio dining and great food.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annanddanbs
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the El Monte Sagrado over the weekend while visiting Taos with my son. The Bell staff were friendly and attentive. The front desk was extremely short staffed and the check in time was very long. The rooms were spacious and very nicely appointed. The property was very attractive. The description of a room as a mountain view room was very exaggerated as we were able to see only the tip of one mountain top. The restaurant was excellent though in the morning they would not credit my platinum elite breakfast coupons toward a complete breakfast. Internet access was extremely slow . It was a very short walk to the plaza (restaurants and shopping). My greatest disappointment at this property was the fact that that they ruined a pair of my slacks in their laundry and did not compensate me for them. I have over 1500 stays with marriott and have never had a pair of my dress slacks laundered improperly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thanks for making us aware of your issues. I am investigating the situation with your pants and would appreciate if you could contact me with more information. We send our dry cleaning out to a local vendor and can seek reimbursment from them.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Wow! What a beautiful hotel. The rooms are spacious and very luxurious. The valet parking good and the parkers really friendly.
The food in the hotel is delicous. If you're hungry, try the breakfast burrito. It is huge! :-)

1 Thank Esther R
Blythewood
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I was floored by the breathtaking rooms, until I opened the shower and found lumps of hair from a previous guest! For the amount of money that is paid to stay at this hotel it should have been immaculate! I was there for 4 days and all we kept hearing was excuses. It took us 30 minutes to get breakfast and we were only one of two occupied tables in the restaurant. The icing on the cake was when we spotted a mouse in the breakfast room! It would have been a wonderful experience if the staff was more professional. I shouldn't have to listen to all of the excuses of why things haven't been done. The price for parking is ridiculous. We ended up parking our own car and had a $20 valet charge each day. Wifi should have been free, $15 a day isn't worth it.

• Stayed August 2014
Our sincerest apologies. We have been hiring and training numerous new team members to ensure your next stay meets our high standards. Your feedback is appreciated.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent 10 days at El Monte Sagrado, visiting friends from Taos Pueblo we haven't seen in over 30 years. We have never had a better experience at a hotel (We've never stayed at a resort before!) Beautiful grounds, sweet and earnest staff, tremendous service, honorable business dealings, helpful and informative all the way around. We would stay here again in a heartbeat. We're from Seattle, and have never had such an all-around experience. We're relaxed, we're in a Taos state of mind! Great pool facilities, great spa, excellent restaurant. Most important, any issues or concerns we had were dealt with immediately, maturely, efficiently and with graciousness. We could never have asked for anything more. We highly recommend El Monte Segrado!!

The valets were the most informative, friendy, generous staff we have ever met. All of the staff, no matter what their role, were friendly, helpful, took responsibility for the entire resort, were courteous, well-trained, conversational, earnest andd proud. Just fantastic.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. We stayed in the "Native American" rooms...charming, well-decorat...
Green Features: Very environmentally friendly. The entire community of Taos resonates with the Taos Pueblo traditions and culture of respect for the earth and nature.