“First class resort”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Scottsdale, Arizona
“First class resort”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed here on Marriott points and would happily return. Located a half mile from town (an easy walk past pretty houses and a horse farm), off a quiet road, the hotel is decorated in dark, Spanish styling. Artworks abound, and the hotel staff say Minnesota Fats played on the pool table upstairs. Staff members are cheery and helpful, and never fail to say hello as you pass, just like the best at the Ritz Carlton chain. Our room was spacious, overlooked a quiet wooded area, and featured a balcony where I could read over coffee every morning. I think all rooms have balconies. The bed was very comfortable and the walk in shower was powerful and hot. Direct TV is a little fuzzy on some channels, but with so much to do in Taos who needs TV? We had breakfast at the hotel three days and one dinner, on Sunday night when many town restaurants are closed. The food is excellent and the service is laid back but adequate. Marriott Elite members take note: you'll get a free continental breakfast but not the usual muffins and coffee. The offering here is a large helping of yogurt topped with homemade granola and berries, two thick slices of fresh made toast and two scrumptious muffins; we took the latter with us for lunch later while touring the area. Dinner was very good and I'll review that separately. Parking is pricey, $20 a night for valet, which seems to be required on weekends, when the small lot is packed. But the bell staff happily dispense ice cold bottles of water on request so that softens the blow. All in all, El Monte Sagrado measures up to the best resort hotels.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are in modern wings that split off the lobby in two floor buildings. Second floor...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BSBAz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Indianapolis
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and it is a short walk to center of the town. The room, a small suite, was nicely decorated but small. However, for the price there were several things that made our stay less that ideal. When we checked in, which was late in day, the staff seemed inexperienced and were confused about our reservation. The day time staff was certainly more pleasant and knowledgeable. The restaurant staff was was good and service efficient.
In a place of this level (expense) I expect free WiFi, but had to pay here; not only in the room but also in common areas. The phone in the sitting area of the suite did not work; I asked on 3 consecutive days to have it fixed. When we checked out it still was not working. We also requested the day of check in for more clothes hangers but they never appeared.
As there was plenty of parking I preferred to self park in general however the hotel charges for valet parking whether it is used or not. I can understand this is a large city but not in a relatively rural area where there is plenty of parking a space.

2 Thank DuffyV
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
I am so sorry we failed to respond to your requests. We appreciate the information so we know where to direct our improvement efforts. Our resort was carved out of an existing neighborhood with little room for our parking lot. In order to maximize its capacity it was designed with mostly double and even triple parking spaces. Even though it may appear as though there are plenty of spaces, extensive use of valet is required to prevent blocking anyone in with even moderate occupancy. We often exceed capacity when we have events or a full hotel and non-guests are forced to park off property. I hope you enjoyed your stay enough to want to return. We look forward to serving you better on your next visit.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed here one night. The room was large and clean and had regional contemporary Taos décor in the rooms, including a gas fireplace. It's a short distance to the downtown Plaza. You could walk in 15 minutes but we used the hotel's complimentary shuttle to drop us off and pick us up from a couple of places in town. Because parking is a premium downtown this was a nice service. It was very pleasant sitting on my balcony with friends overlooking the trees. I thought the price was a little high and was surprised by the mandatory $20 valet parking fee because cars were only parked 50 - 100 feet away and land at this location is not scarce like in some city hotels I have stayed at where it's justified to collect for parking. All in all, a pleasant stay, if a bit pricey.

Room Tip: The 4 buildings each only have 16 rooms and are located on a large piece of property. I doubt there...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jorden N
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Very nice place to stay while in Taos. Quiet and only about 10 minutes from Plaza. Good food and nice bar, friendly staff. We would recommend. Decent workout room, nothing fancy. Smooth check in. Taos is a cool place to visit

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2014

At first sight, the hotel seems beautiful, with lush grounds and authentic southern decor. However, despite having a confirmed reservation, and despite arriving at exactly the time specified, I was first told that my requested room (2 queen beds) hadn't yet been cleaned, and then that they were full and no such room was available. The receptionist, David, appeared utterly unable to deal with the situation, and admitted that due to the hotel's policy of over-booking such situations occurred fairly regularly. Another member of the reception staff, Phaedren, proved a lot more helpful, and in the end the hotel did offer us a room at a nearby hotel free of charge (at the Casa Benavides Inn, which ironically is located closer to the main plaza in Taos). So, although El Monte Sagrado looks a charming hotel, the difficulties we had in checking in would definitely lead me to stay elsewhere on my next visit to Taos.
Tips: The El Monte Sagrado is a good 15-20 minute walk to the plaza (which has very limited parking), so might not suit an older couple.
In the room we were shown, the bathroom was only separated from the bedroom area by a curtain, so might not suit a family or group who like more privacy.
If you have problems at check-in, ask to speak to Phaedren - he's by far the most competent person there.

2 Thank David Q
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
We are so sorry you were unable to experience El Monte Sagrado. We do occasionally find ourselves in an oversell position but it is fairly rare. We hope that you do come back and see why we sell out. We have a lot to offer our guests and I'm sure you will enjoy our resort.
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I booked a 3 night stay (Sunday-Wednesday) for a premier suite using Marriott Rewards Points plus money and was extremely pleased when my husband and I were upgraded to the 2 bedroom global “Spain” suite. Room upgrades are something Gold/Premier Elite members cannot always count on, but when they happen (especially at a fantastic place like El Monte Sagrado), visitors start valuing their Elite status and loyalty to Marriott.

The moment I first entered the global “Spain” suite, I knew it would earn a spot on my top 3 favorite places to stay. The suite offered unique decor, two bedrooms, two full baths with gorgeous tile work, ample lighting options (including dimmers), high beamed ceilings, and a private walled patio that wrapped around one half of the suite. Best of all, it only shared a small part of a wall — in the guest room — with the neighboring global suite. Other than that, there were no neighbors to the top, bottom, or other sides, and we had a very peaceful and quiet stay. The trouble was, I wanted to spend all of my time at my suite and large private patio instead of sightseeing around the Taos area.

Room recommendation: for those who value private outdoor space, I’d recommend avoiding the first floor southeastern-facing Taos Mountain Rooms. There is a path leading to and from the parking lot that skirts these units, and people on the lower floor patios are in full view of people using the path. The second floor decks don’t offer much more privacy, but probably have better views.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Elgin, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed for three days and just wish it could have been more. Luxe facilities, fabulous staff, gorgeous and restful grounds. Could not have been better, and considering what was offered, a very reasonable price. We would do this again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: They're all good.
Green Features: They make a point of green practices; all water is recycled, planting are complementary, food is locally sourced, artwork is local, materials are authentic.