“Very interesting”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taos
Earthship Biotecture
Ranked #3 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Taos
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I'd heard about this place, but recently we were able to actually visit it and tour the area. Very interesting, love the concept of living off the grid and using materials we already have to build a home. There is a short video as part of the entrance fee, it was interesting. I loved learning about how they recycle all of their water and how it collects on the roof during a rain or snowstorm. My only suggestion for the visit, was I wished we could haven't gotten a personal tour with a "guide" as I think we could have learned even more vs. touring the area by ourselves.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy T

Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband and I stayed one night as a treat for me. I have been a Mike Reynolds fan for more than 15 years. My husband is the eternal sceptic. Bah humbug is his catch cry. We had a most fabulous time. The house is silent as no other house can be. There is no airconditioning to burble in the background, there are no small ticks and pops and all the other sounds houses make and we ignore. We were shown around by a friendly girl, but the house is easy. If you are hot open the roof vent further, if you are cold close the floor vent. The house worked magically to keep us comfortable. We had the best night sleep in years. And hubby got to watch TV. His assumption had always been that an eco house on solar power deprives you of twentieth century comforts. Not so!!! He found there is a washing machine and dryer, an iron, a fridge and a TV. All the comforts of the twentieth century. He is such a bear LOL I loved the house and have been dreaming of building one here in Australia. It's just a matter of time. I hope you go and experience this new way of living. It will affect you profoundly, it did me and my hubby says he likes it too. :-)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LillianGoldCoast
Reviewed 1 August 2013

What an experience. We stayed in the Studio Earthship near the visitors center. It was perfect for me, my twin sister and my 25 year old son. Let me tell you all of the cool things we experienced:
1. We sat on the roof and watched an amazing lightening storm over the mountains.
2. We made amazing fish tacos for dinner...the kitchen is just great! (Cid's grocery in Taos is great!)
3. We had a great lunch down the street at "Taos Mesa Brew House"
4. We all got yummy warm showers..
5. Slept like a baby in the comfy bed.
6. Drank coffee in the am outside sitting on the wall...looking at the beautiful mountains.
7. My son went jogging around and saw a coyote and a rabbit.
8. Try staying here...you won't regret it..and you will be doing something great for the environment.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Donna M
Reviewed 26 April 2013

We recently managed to stay at HelioHouse, one of a growing number of earthships dug into hillsides in the desert just north of Taos, New Mexico. It was a truly "sustainable" home and an exciting "green" experience. What do we mean by that? Insulation was provided by earth-filled used tires, walls built from earth-packed used bottles and cans, electricity from solar panels and windmills, water for drinking and washing from captured and treated rainwater and other recycled sources, large indoor gardens whose sunlight is provided by a long wall of large clear windows, with window blinds for the hottest times, also ceiling fans and hand-operated skylights for general cooling, and a wood fireplace just in case it got chilly at night, And little did we know what else was in store for us! Each night, from every window we were treated to a gorgeous display of brilliant light from countless stars in the completely dark sky! We had never before been able to find a place free from the lights of civilization. This even beat watching sunrises and sunsets from the windows and porch chairs. Jill, our gracious host, and her husband live in their own earthship nearby and set up the beautiful interior perfectly for our stay, including many tasty treats, books, games and of course, basic information and advice. We were able to use the kitchen and its complete set of tools and utensils, and to obtain properly grown and raised food at Cid's busy grocery, on the main road just north of Taos. We wish we could have stayed longer! A final note: everyone should pay a visit to the stimulating exhibits at the Earthship Biotecture visitor center at the entry point to the earthship residential roads. It even has a gift shop, and you may be able to walk to a nearby cutting-edge earthship under construction. To put it mildly, we learned a lot on this trip, and we had a great time, too.

Room Tip: There are apparently at least a few earthships which rent out rooms or even an entire house, such as...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nmsandh
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I first heard of Earthships when I read the actor Dennis Weaver was selling his back in 2004. Earthship? A sustainable home built from recycled materials? As an old hippie I was interested to learn more.

I saw the video "Garbage Warrior" on PBS a few years ago and was happy to see the architect, Michael Reynolds was still building.

On a recent trip to Albuquerque I decided we had to make a pilgrimage to Taos and the Earthship community. I wasn't disappointed.

The young lady working the visitor center was helpful explaining the systems of an Earthship and construction techniques. I was expecting an intern but she is an owner, who learned about Earthships and rented one during winter to make sure they performed as advertised. She said after spending a few nights in freezing weather, and being warm and comfortable inside without additional heat she was sold, and decided to move to Taos to live in an Earthship.

They're quirky, colorful and beautiful. Built of old tires filled with pounded dirt and plastered with adobe. The natural wood viga ceilings accent curved walls. And everywhere the light, entering from the south facing greenhouse.

An Earthship is self-contained. No utility bills! The home collects it's own water and recycles it 3 times before being sent to a septic system. Filtered grey water is used for the plants in the greenhouse, the plants filter it again and it's used to flush the toilet!

Solar panels generate electricity that is stored in batteries, converted to AC and distributed throughout the house.

It's magic.

Earthships have been built around the world, from high tech European countries to the jungles of the Far East. They are adaptable to any environment.

Someday, perhaps sooner rather than later, people will realize what an amazing, progressive concept Michael Reynolds has developed.

Someday...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank hoz49
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We went with a group of friends for a ski trip. It is about a 20 minute drive from the mountain (10 minutes into Toas the town). I strongly urge families, couples, and friends to consider staying at the Earthship. We rented the entire Phenoix, which comfortably holds about 10 people, and had a great time. The experience of living in an earthship for a weekend leaves you with knowledge that is valuable and inspiring. We went in the winter and the house stays at about 65 degrees. Some people on the trip needed extra blankets but found it generally very comfortable, especially the second night when we did not open the door to the greenhouse and let the cold air in!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank beachbm99
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Glad we were able to stay one night in very comfortable digs. Spending a whole day learning about how earthships are built, and the concepts behind the structures was very enlightening. From this point forward, I keep looking at everything else (conventional construction) and wondering why we build things the way we do, and how did we get to this point? Cheap energy I guess. But those days are numbered...

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple