“Surprisingly tasty!”

Hunan Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #55 of 131 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stopped on the way outta town and were very surprised by the quality of the food. Expected run of the mill, but got fresh noodles in our lo mein and amazingly tender chicken in our other dishes. Shrimp was fresh and tasty, with no "off" flavor to it. Had vegetarian dish with tofu and pan friend noodles and it was amazing! Loaded with fresh veggies and huge chunks of tofu cooked to perfection. Service was fast, fun and friendly. They even graciously accommodated a peanut allergy for us. Will make this a must eat at stop next time we are Taos for sure.

Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Was looking for a lighter meal after getting soaked in summer rains. The Chicken & Crap soup was great! Husband had the Mongolian Lamb which was tasty too. Service was quick with a great smile. Good food at a very reasonable price.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

My friend wanted to eat here, and though I usually avoid cheap Chinese food, I was in the mood to give it a try. The first very pleasant shock were the prices on the lunch menu- 5.55. Whoa!
I ordered the Kung Pao tofu with veggies, and the second shock was that it was a large plate of food covered with fresh and moderately cooked veggies.. there were snow peas, and other great veggies, not your typical bottom end veggies you often get in low cost chinese places.The service was pleasant. My only wish was that they carried Brown Rice. I would say the food felt clean and I felt good the entire day.

The next day I went to go back, but they were closed on Tuesdays. I was driving by Song's and saw the Best of Taos signs and thought I would give them a try. I was so pleased with the Kung Pao Tofu from Hunan, I thought I would try the same at Songs and compare.

It was a little divey looking inside and my table was still dirty, but the owner had an absolutely brilliant smile and twinkle in his eye. He and his wife came five years ago from China. It was a very family sort of place. The plus was that brown rice was served here, but the meal wasnt as good as at Hunan and the price was about 25% more.. not a huge amount, but all in all I would go back to Hunan for the lunch specials...

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I liked this restaurant in the old days when it was in La Fonda, so I tried it again recently. Very disappointing. It was edible, but not a treat. I got MaPao tofu and it was mushy and full of peas!
Nice try, but I won't eat here again. I can't comment on the table service; I got takeout.

1  Thank gowithnancy
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I have eaten at Hunan about 100 times and it is ALWAYS the same. THis is NOT gourmet Chinese. I lived in the Bay Area for 15 years, and if you need 5 star food, not even Santa Fe is gonna get er done. BUT, I have NEVER had even a bad side dish, not to mention a bad meal. In a small town, that's worth something.

There is no point in recommending dishes because they are ALL 3 stars. That's the point. The service is fast and polite and they get it right. The lunch specials are all a great deal. The place just works....nothin fancy but nothin to complain about.