“We were underwhelmed”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
dallas
“We were underwhelmed”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We went based on reviews. Service was friendly; however there was no children's menu. Food was not as special as the reviews had stated, and the prices were high. We enjoyed Stella's Italian next door a lot more.

Visited December 2013

San Antonio, Texas
“Very Dissapointed”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I am suprised to read the review from Jan 1 as we were there on Jan 2 and after calling several times for reservations I finally comfirmed that I indeed have reservations for the 5 of us. After arriving our table was immediately ready for us but the greeting was basicallly non existant. The waiter just had NO personality and made you feel a bit uncomfortable. We immediately ordered the bread basket which has a charge of $4.00, It is delicious and worth the $4. We then ordered appetisers and main courses. The appetisers came out a bit slow but it was in reasonable time. The problem came when we waited 1 hour and 45 mins for our meal to be served. We were tired, half fed and ready to leave 20 mins before the food arrived. The server never acknowledged any problem and as in his character seemed aloof. I had the Alaskan Halibut which was not as fresh as I had liked, but then again we were in New Mexico, I had been assured by the waiter that this was their signature dish. It was flavorful though. Two of our party had the Surf and Turf, The filet was about 4 ozs. and cooked nicely. The Tiger Prawns were seriously, 4 popcorn, overcooked, shrimp on a skewer. Don't even think they would have been any good for bait shrimp. The portions are very small which is ok, but they are not priced accordingly. Our bill for 5 was $250 and that only included 2 glasses of a very musty Pinot Noir. Unfortunately after reading the reviews, I was very excited for this meal and it was a total disappointment. I travel all over the world and consider myself a foodie, I would rate this restaurant very low. The atmosphere is quirky but I loved it. Too bad the food and service didn't match the atmosphere

• Visited January 2014
Boulder, Colorado
“Small and Unique”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is a really small place, so it's not at all appropriate for much more than a party of four. The chef is the waiter is the owner and he's been doing this for 20 years. He puts out excellent food in a very mellow, casual style, although the menu is limited. We shared a salad and the surf and turf, which was outstanding.The beef was excellent and perfectly done. We'll be back.

• Visited December 2013
Seattle
“A special evening”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

It was just before Thanksgiving and there was snow and ice on the ground. We had made reservations and were startled to find ourselves the only people in this delightful restaurant even though we knew it was a slow time in Taos. The owner made it so special for us and the food was fabulous. We shared a lovely goat cheese salad. I had steak and shrimp and my husband had a delicious Spanish seafood stew that we were able to have for lunch the next day. When we unpacked the leftovers, the owner had given us huge slices of his terrific bread. Other people came in just as we were leaving but we will always remember the delight of having the place to ourselves with our own waiter and chef.

• Visited November 2013
Littleton, CO
“Outstanding!!”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Well prepared and presented food with great service and a small but interesting wine list make for a great evening. The warm pear and spinach salad was very tasty and the two entrees we had were very good. All were fairly priced and worth the trip. You should not miss this place when in Taos!

• Visited November 2013