“Don't understand all the hoopla”
Review of Byzantium

Byzantium
Ranked #50 of 127 Restaurants in Taos
Price range: US$18 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Leland, North Carolina
“Don't understand all the hoopla”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Went expecting a wonderful dining experience somewhat based on the rating number. Very small, not many tables and only 2 people consisting of the chef and the server. Ordered salad which was maybe $9 and consisted of spinach with the stems still on for God's sake, a few pecans and other non memorable items. Our main courses were equally forgettable to the point that our adult daughter who is a foodie was very disappointed. As I looked at the reviews after the meal, I noticed that most of them were written by folks from Taos which logical since the restaurant is located there. It may also indicate a friends and family support group. Would not recommend going for the price you pay and what you get.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Richard B

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Perfect”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I am so glad I got to experience this restaurant!! Gracious dining from the moment you walk in the door. Nothing pretentious, but they could be, based on the superb food. Attentive, but not pushy. The salad and the dessert were delicious....I wanted to try everything on the menu.

• Visited May 2014
“over promise- under deliver”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Had a high expectations due to the reviews but was sorely disappointed. Service was slow Even though there were only two people in the restaurant. There was no house Chardonnay your only selection Sauvignon blanc and Pinot Grigio. We ordered two glasses of wine at nine dollars a piece , the serving size was very stingy no more than 3 ounces. The entrées were the same, overpriced, mediocre and the serving size small. Won't be back.

4 Thank sky777pilot
Taos, New Mexico
“Don't Miss this Intimate Spot on your Romantic Getaway”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Scott has a small but fabulous menu with a great wine list as well. Open for dinner only, and closed on Tuesday and Wednesday, so plan your trip on a night when Byzantium is open. You will be amazed.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank HospitalityPI
Taos, New Mexico
“A MUST”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had not been back to Byzantium in several years and really don't know why. We decided to give it a try Sat night. First off, the owner, Scott, is great. He's so calm and pleasant. I love the decor, the lamp above our table was my favorite (only about eight tables and each one has a different lamp). It's not noisy and they have great music playing in the background. I think we had the best table in the house but every table is good. I'm attaching a photo of the mussels we started with. Not only was it a great presentation (as was everything we ordered), but oh so good. I loved everything about our meal. We ordered too much, so didn't have dessert, but I'm sure it would have been wonderful as well.

• Visited March 2014