“Good food, gorgeous setting, spotty service”

Farmhouse Cafe and Bakery
Ranked #32 of 128 Restaurants in Taos
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Arizona
“Good food, gorgeous setting, spotty service”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This is still a fairly new restaurant in the Taos area and clearly has some growing pains. When we arrived recently for lunch and were told to seat ourselves. About a half dozen tables were available, but all of them still had the crumbs, used napkins, etc. from previous diners. We ended up cleaning off our table ourselves. Our server was very friendly, but did not stay tuned into to what was happening with her tables.

The menu had a nice variety of local, vegetarian and organic options of soups, salads and sandwiches. We the roasted vegetable soup that was good but lacked any unique flavoring or spices. It would have been nice to have the option between a cup or a bowl, as the bowl was too large of a serving.

They have a large variety of pies, cakes and other enticing desserts, although they did not have them on a printed menu. Instead the server rattled off a bewilderingly long list of options.

The restaurant is in a gorgeous setting overlooking the Taos mountain range. However, it's tucked away in a small plaza off a very busy road. If you don't know it's there, you can easily miss it. The prices are also a bit higher than what you pay for a similar quality menu in downtown Taos.

I hope this place succeeds, because the owner has clearly has put her passion into the food. But the dining experience needs development, especially with the service. The hours are also limited, so don't try to catch a late lunch there, as they close at 3:00pm.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Mr and Mrs J

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“A Delicious Surprise!”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

On a recent trip to Taos, my family and I were searching for a good place to eat when we saw the sign for Farmhouse Cafe and decided to give it a try. The cafe itself is quaint, cozy and rustic.

The food was DELICIOUS and we were delighted that my wife, who is mostly gluten-free and vegetarian, could find an abundance of selections there. We highly recommend the farmhouse potatoes, quiche and delicious sweets. I ordered the local grass fed burger and would say it was the best burger I have had in New Mexico (we have lived here for 6 years).

Though we don't make the trip to Taos often, my wife is already dreaming up a plan to get us back there soon just so we can return to the Farmhouse Cafe!

hanford, ca
“Looking for a meal in Taos?”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We dropped in while visiting Blue Fish. What a great surprise! Enjoyed the vegetarian lasagna and the butternut squash soup. The staff/servers were super friendly, too.

“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Beautiful setting, excellent food, warm and hospitable service. Great spot for breakfast or lunch. Don't miss it when you are in Taos. It is set back from the road on the right as you head to see the Rio Grande Bridge, next to the Overland Sheepskin. Make the effort, you won't be disappointed.

Taos, New Mexico
“Puts me in mind of Chez Panisse.”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I swear to God, I've never had a quiche with such gorgeous flavor. And the salad was just amazing. Some of the ingredients are grown on the premises. Some are sourced from local growers. I'm always inclined to think "locally grown and sourced" is some kind of pursed-lips moralism, but then I taste the results. It's really the only way to wind up with food that tastes like real food. What a great addition to the Taos restaurant scene. With Sushi Hatori a few doors away, this is the new headquarters for foodies.