“Great Atmosphere for a Drink” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 9 Nightlife in Taos
Santa Fe, New Mexico
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Great Atmosphere for a Drink”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Skip the valet parking, tell any snobbish doormen to shove it, and get on in and get a beautiful drink in a very nice atmosphere. I love this place and bring out of town visitors here when we visit Taos from Santa Fe. Walk the grounds of Monte Sagrada if it is still light out.

Visited July 2013

Dallas, Texas
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Not really an "attraction", but great afternoon gathering spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

We were staying in El Monte Sagrado and made this our afternoon stop all three evenings. We love the cucumber and jalapeño margaritas and espresso martinis. I can't believe the harsh reviews previous as we were well attended by the whole staff. Bartenders remember you from day to day. The bar food was great on two occasions- nachos one time and the meat and cheese plate on another. Two evenings it really got packed before we left. We will be back because of the service we received here and at the resort.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Retiringonaboat
Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“Dreadful Disappointment Part Two or Crazy Clientele Welcomed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2009

After penning the earlier review "Dreadful Disappointment", I guessed it was time to give this place another shot by entertaining some friends at Anaconda Bar on Memorial Day. I thought holiday weekend, we aren't spending the night...what could go wrong. OH LORD! How I regretted that thought.
We entered the bar and noticed no one. I confirmed with the hostess who advised that they were indeed open.
We were seated in a booth and speaking with our friends in the hospitality business who had never visited before. We ordered a round of drinks and were contemplating the menu when a server came over and stated that two women around the corner were working on writing a book and for our party to please be quieter.
Well, we were there to celebrate and it was a bar, we weren't being too loud. So I advised our server to inform the "lady" that we were in a public bar and maybe she should go somewhere else to "work". The server never got a chance as the "lady" got up and started a shouting match with us. She said she was here first and that we should move on. I asked if she had rented out the whole place and she got really angry and made a visual reference with her hand that was meant to indicate she didn't like us because we were gay. I told her to leave or sit down and she asked the server to bring the manager over.
The catering manager did walk by us on the way to her table and mouthed, "I am sorry". We didn't hear the entire conversation but we could tell he was not having success. The server mentioned to us quietly that the woman had gone through 3 glasses of wine in an hour.
When the manager came to our table we had already decided we would finish our drink and go to another venue to have lunch and more drinks. The manager asked if we wanted to move to the "library" No. He never offered us a round of drinks to stay or even an appetizer to apologize. He never asked the unctious "lady" to leave. Nothing was done to try to insure our continued patronage after such a disastrous experience.
We paid our bill and left. Our friends had a definitely bad taste in their mouth about this place and I could not apologize enough.
Later in town while shopping in an upscale store the manager heard our story and stated that El Monte Sagrado allegedly has a bad reputation with locals and they choose to go to the more friendly upscale Lamberts. We will try that out next time.
As for the "author to be" unless, her book is about making a fool of yourself in public or being the most obnoxious you can be...I don't think it will make the NYT's Best Seller List.

3 Thank InTheBizMyself
Taos, NM
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Expensive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2007

OK, but very snooty. If your idea of a good time includes valet parking and snobby doormen you will really enjoy this place.

2 Thank k9taos