“An excellent hike with Apollo and KT (our furry friends).”

Wild Earth Llama Adventures
Ranked #1 of 18 Outdoor Activities in Taos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Llama Trekking Adventures in New Mexico's Pristine Wilderness! "Take a Llama to Lunch!" Wilderness Day Hikes Multi-Day Wilderness Adventures Custom Wilderness Events What's Llama Trekking? Llama Trekking is Hiking and Camping with our team of eco-friendly trail llamas, in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and Rio Grande Gorege, near Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico. On the trail, our gentle surefooted llamas carry the gear, leaving you unburdened to experience the natural beauty and inspiring solitude of the New Mexico wilderness. Experienced Naturalist Guides share information about local ecology, natural history, regional folklore, and wilderness skills. Backcountry Gourmet Meals are served on all of our New Mexico wilderness trips. All ages and fitness levels are welcome! Call us to answer any questions of to make reservations!
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I received the llama trek as a birthday gift from my wife and didn't quite know what to expect. The trip exceeded my expectations spending a delightful day with KT and Apollo (our Llamas) and Stuart our guide who is a wealth of information about the area and its geology, wildlife and ecology. I would highly recommend it as an delightful, fun introduction to the area and a nice way to enjoy Llamas who are quite friendly. Comfortable hiking shoes and an adventurous spirit are all that's required.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Llama treking in the Carson National Forest proved to be the highlight of our seven day trip to New Mexico. Stuart's hospitality, and obvious dedication to this wilderness area, to the wonderful
"rescued" llamas, and to educating participants, made our day really memorable. There were no packs to carry--the llamas did it all--and the food was delicious.

Reviewed 19 October 2012

Excellent day trip! We went on 10-9-12 while the Aspen's were beautiful! Turned out it was just the two of us plus our guide Stuart! Stuart is an OUTSTANDING guide, his love of this wilderness area and the llamas is obvious. He is very informative and educational in a fun way! His love and dedication to the llamas he's recued is to be admired. The lunch he provide exceeded our expectations by a long shot! It was a gourmet salad and turkey sandwiches which you were allowed to custom design yourself. We enjoyed Stuart's knowledge and company on the trek and would highly recomend this adventure! I wish we'd had our entire family with us!!!

2  Thank Pam W
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our trek with the llamas and our guide Stuart. The hike was so beautiful, lunch was awesome and Stuart knew a lot about the area. Next time we want to do an overnight hike.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

One of the items on my bucket list was to go hiking with Llamas, so I signed up my hubby & I on our recent trip to New Mexico. My hubby was reluctant to go, but in the end, he even admitted he had a wonderful time.

We had only a group of 4 of us, plus Stuart the guide and chief- llama trekker. Everyone had their own llama, since we were a small group of adults.

After a instructional talk about llamas, and the hike, Stuart had us each give all the llamas a treat out of our hands to get acquainted. Most of the llamas had been rescued by Stuart, and were adolescents.The llamas were a little bit stand-offish at first.

We got to choose the llama we wanted to hike with. The llamas were all docile and not mean at all! (but they did like to stop and eat along the way.... it was funny!) I really bonded with mine, he was nuzzling my neck and a real sweetie!

As we hiked, Stuart would point out interesting tips about the trees and flora that we passed. We learned quite a bit about how to tell the differences between fir and spruce trees, about the ponderosa pines, the various plants that were growing...etc.

We stopped and had a very nice lunch in a meadow where the llamas could rest and graze.

The time went by too quickly.... I would like to go back and go on an overnight hike next time.

1  Thank tuckercal34