“A Life Changing Day with the Llamas!”

Wild Earth Llama Adventures
Ranked #1 of 18 Outdoor Activities in Taos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Llama Trekking Adventures in New Mexico's Pristine Wilderness! "Take a Llama to Lunch!" Wilderness Day Hikes Multi-Day Wilderness Adventures Custom Wilderness Events What's Llama Trekking? Llama Trekking is Hiking and Camping with our team of eco-friendly trail llamas, in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and Rio Grande Gorege, near Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico. On the trail, our gentle surefooted llamas carry the gear, leaving you unburdened to experience the natural beauty and inspiring solitude of the New Mexico wilderness. Experienced Naturalist Guides share information about local ecology, natural history, regional folklore, and wilderness skills. Backcountry Gourmet Meals are served on all of our New Mexico wilderness trips. All ages and fitness levels are welcome! Call us to answer any questions of to make reservations!
Pasadena, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Life Changing Day with the Llamas!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Over Memorial Day weekend I was able to go and visit a girlfriend who’s living in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and we booked a unique hiking experience for that Sunday.

I was a little leery booking the hike over the internet as I’m not a “typical tourist” and I tend to avoid group outings, but something about this hike just “called to me.”

I was very pleased to find the company LLama Adventures whose “Take a Llama to Lunch Day Hike” fit my schedule and budget perfectly! And Leah, who handles the program administration/bookings was efficient, helpful and kind.

On the day of our hike the drive from Santa Fe to Taos was beautiful, and we stopped in Taos for coffee and a quick breakfast of homemade bread (and fresh fig jam) before meeting up with our tour guide Stuart Wilde and being introduced to our llamas.

I can only begin to describe how peaceful, educational and therapeutic this day was. The hike proceeds at a leisurely pace, so I was forced to truly slow down and enjoy the landscape. Along with receiving lots of animal love/interaction from my personal llama K2, I learned so much about natural foliage, indigenous plants with healing properties, the local tree population, area conservation efforts and llamas in general.

We were a small group, and our knowledgeable and friendly guide (Stuart) moved from person to person throughout the day, interacting with each of us, as we hiked. We also stopped frequently for short “lessons” and then had an incredible lunch prepared for us in a gorgeous meadow.

If you find yourself in Northern New Mexico and are looking for a beautiful day trip that will leave you relaxed, rejuvenated and even better educated than when you started. I would highly recommend LLama Adventures.

Smiles, Shanna

1 Thank shalala2011

Fort Worth, Texas
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Wild Earth "Take a Llama to Lunch" is wonderful!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My daughter and grandson did this when we visited NM in 2010. Grandson, aged 12, could talk of nothing else from then on. They had a marvelous time, saw glorious countryside, and had, they said, a fabulous lunch. They loved the llamas! I'm kind of surprised a pet llama hasn't shown up in Virginia where he lives....(and, no, they both say llamas do not normally spit).

Visited July 2013
1 Thank 5salina
Los Alamos, New Mexico
“Llama trek into the Hondo Wilderness”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hiking along the Columbine Creek in the Hondo Wilderness with llamas was an excellent experience. The trek exceeded my expectations. Stuart, owner/guide, shares his wealth of knowledge about the animals and plants, ecology and geology of the area. He also served a great lunch! He engaged everyone in the experience and made sure we were all safe. I highly recommend this adventure - and I miss Rajah ( my llama) already.

O'Fallon, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fabulous adventure for one or for many!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

In our recent trip to Taos, NM we went trekking with llamas initially because it just sounded fun and obviously something we had never done. I have to say, it was the highlight of our trip. The hike was very doable for most anyone. The llamas added such a huge fun factor. I really just wanted to take my new friend, K2, home with me. But then there is Stuart. Stuart is the guide and he knows a lot about a lot of different stuff and makes the trip more than just a stroll through the woods. He knows a lot of history, a lot of plants and how to make an enjoyable lunch and he's fun. Makes the trip such a fun time. I am so glad we went and I look forward to sharing all my photos on Facebook of my new friends K2, Raja and Diego....oh, and Stuart LOL. If you go to Taos go trekking with llamas. You'll be glad you did.

2 Thank Tsagona
“Excellent day hike”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Hiked with THE guide for a quick day hike with my family - AWESOME day! Stuart's knowledge goes way way past just llamas. Discussed volcanic formation of the Gorge, the petroglyphs, local flora & fowl. Enjoyed natural grown watercrest with our lunch -- could go on & on. Crazy fun day. Highly recommended!