“A Wonderful Bed & Breakfast”

Casa Benavides Historic Inn
Ranked #8 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
Iowa
“A Wonderful Bed & Breakfast”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My cousin and I were visiting various places in New Mexico, and we were staying at a lovely B & B in Santa Fe. (That is another story.) One morning, we talked with a couple who recommended Casa Benavides when they found out that we were going to Taos. They said that it was easy to find, and the food was wonderful! We called and made reservations, and our stay there became one of the nicest parts of our trip. Tom and Barbara McCarthy, the owners, were wonderful hosts, and we had a great time! We needed two beds, so we stayed in John's room which is attached to their home, a couple of doors down and an easy walk from the inn. There was a private entrance and space for parking. Our room was huge, and the beds were comfortable. We had a lovely fireplace and a tiled bathroom with a tub/shower combination. The rug between the beds was magnificant, and the pictures on the wall were historic. Although there was a lot to do in Taos, we made certain that we were available for the breakfast and afternoon tea. The food was plentiful, delicious, and homemade. We can't thank the couple from Detroit enough for their recommendation, and we hope to return to the inn the next time we are in Taos.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 23 May 2011

My wife and I had a very nice stay just after Christmas. The room was "cowboy rustic" and very comfortable. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful. All of the staff were friendly and very accomodating. The Inn is very close to the plaza and restuarants.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Casa Benvides on Kit Carson Road is a wonderful place that is off the radar. We drove up to Taos, parked the car in their parking lot and didn't have to use it for the rest of our stay. Walked to the plaza, restaurants and to transportation to the mountain. The rooms are charming, the breakfast is great and afternoon tea is a delightful sweet break. Lots of art and antiques. This place is genuine. The owners are present and helpful. The prices are reasonable and they have a variety of accommodations: suites to small rooms. We chose two small rooms for our family.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
denver
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Recently went to Taos for a mini vacation. I had not been there in over 40 years it was nice to get back and to see how much it had changed. As for my stay, it was my first time ever in a B&B what an awesome experience. I would have to say, I would do it again in a heart beat. The only hickup wasthat the power was out when my friends and I arrived, this was due to the high winds in the area; other than that it was wonderful, every one of the staff were very attentive. The breakfast was very tasty and of course every afternoon the had tea and baked goods for those travelers who have a insatiable sweet tooth. If and when I'm in Taos again I will definately stay here!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Glendale, WI
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Taos is an incredible area and this B&B was a good find for us. It's a convenient location to serve as a base for walking, shopping and more lengthy excursions. Comfy bed and good water pressure. Pleasant staff and good service. YUMMY breakfast! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2010
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I recently spent 2 nights Casa Benavides Bed and Breakfast Inn while hiking in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains within the Carson National Forest around Taos with a small group.

Casa Benavides is located 1/2 block east of Taos Plaza. All the buildings are historical, of adobe construction with viga ceilings or cedar latillas, most with wood burning fireplaces, private baths with Mexican tiles, air conditioning and/or ceiling fans, cable TV, VCR’s, covered portals and extensive colorful gardens.

Each room is different and individually decorated with local flavor using "hand made furniture, antiques and artistic treasures."

The first night I was in the Jemez room and hated it. It is a small dark room in an older building. It is close to US 64 and the traffic noise was loud with the windows open for ventilation.

Worse yet, the room is sandwiched between several other rooms that have 2 entrances - an outside entrance leading to multiple individual room doors. I heard lots of banging doors when people were coming or going.

And worst of all was the noise from the bathroom next door. Their bathroom fan sounded like a buzz saw in my room and their water pipes must have run right behind my headboard. I was awakened from a sound sleep when someone took a shower and it sounded like the water was running loudly in the pipes right next to my head.

The next day after complaining to the owner, luckily I was switched to the Tio Vivo room in a newer building for my second night. This room was much larger and better appointed. It was also very quiet with none of the problems I experienced the first night even though the rooms around mine were occupied. The Tio Vivo room was very nice and I would stay in it again.

This, however, brings up the question of how to choose a room if you are unfamiliar with the property. The web site has numerous options and buildings for room selection but how to choose?

Hint: On the Rooms page of their web site there is an option that says simply View All. When View All is chosen, photos and descriptions of all of the rooms come up but still be careful - in the photo, the Jemez room looks better than it really is. And, of course, the noisy pitfalls of the Jemez room are not in the description.

Included in the nightly rate is a nice served, cooked breakfast and an afternoon tea with baked goods. The property includes a beautiful, large courtyard with outdoor seating and 2 outdoor hot tubs. Also consider that this is not a modern hotel with 24-hour per day staff. This is a B&B and the staff goes home at night.

All in all I would stay here again but only if I were able to hand pick my room, which was not the case for me this trip. Based on my experience in the Jemez room I would rate this B&B a 2. But based on the Tio Vivo room I would rate it a 4. I compromised with a 3.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank AustinWhitewater
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 October 2010

If you want to stay in the middle of Taos, this B&B is perfection! It is just a block or so off the main drag and near the restaurants and plaza. The breakfast is amazing, with fabulous food and a beautifully decorated dining room, where marvelous teas with delicious pastries are also served in the afternoon. Our room was in one of the five buildings on the property and it was gigantic and quiet and comfortable. We did not have a lot of contact with the propriertors, but the service was quite good. I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B as the best for price, location, breakfast and rooms in Taos.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple