“fantastic experience”

Ranked #8 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
denver
“fantastic experience”
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Recently went to Taos for a mini vacation. I had not been there in over 40 years it was nice to get back and to see how much it had changed. As for my stay, it was my first time ever in a B&B what an awesome experience. I would have to say, I would do it again in a heart beat. The only hickup wasthat the power was out when my friends and I arrived, this was due to the high winds in the area; other than that it was wonderful, every one of the staff were very attentive. The breakfast was very tasty and of course every afternoon the had tea and baked goods for those travelers who have a insatiable sweet tooth. If and when I'm in Taos again I will definately stay here!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Glendale, WI
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Taos is an incredible area and this B&B was a good find for us. It's a convenient location to serve as a base for walking, shopping and more lengthy excursions. Comfy bed and good water pressure. Pleasant staff and good service. YUMMY breakfast! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2010
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I recently spent 2 nights Casa Benavides Bed and Breakfast Inn while hiking in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains within the Carson National Forest around Taos with a small group.

Casa Benavides is located 1/2 block east of Taos Plaza. All the buildings are historical, of adobe construction with viga ceilings or cedar latillas, most with wood burning fireplaces, private baths with Mexican tiles, air conditioning and/or ceiling fans, cable TV, VCR’s, covered portals and extensive colorful gardens.

Each room is different and individually decorated with local flavor using "hand made furniture, antiques and artistic treasures."

The first night I was in the Jemez room and hated it. It is a small dark room in an older building. It is close to US 64 and the traffic noise was loud with the windows open for ventilation.

Worse yet, the room is sandwiched between several other rooms that have 2 entrances - an outside entrance leading to multiple individual room doors. I heard lots of banging doors when people were coming or going.

And worst of all was the noise from the bathroom next door. Their bathroom fan sounded like a buzz saw in my room and their water pipes must have run right behind my headboard. I was awakened from a sound sleep when someone took a shower and it sounded like the water was running loudly in the pipes right next to my head.

The next day after complaining to the owner, luckily I was switched to the Tio Vivo room in a newer building for my second night. This room was much larger and better appointed. It was also very quiet with none of the problems I experienced the first night even though the rooms around mine were occupied. The Tio Vivo room was very nice and I would stay in it again.

This, however, brings up the question of how to choose a room if you are unfamiliar with the property. The web site has numerous options and buildings for room selection but how to choose?

Hint: On the Rooms page of their web site there is an option that says simply View All. When View All is chosen, photos and descriptions of all of the rooms come up but still be careful - in the photo, the Jemez room looks better than it really is. And, of course, the noisy pitfalls of the Jemez room are not in the description.

Included in the nightly rate is a nice served, cooked breakfast and an afternoon tea with baked goods. The property includes a beautiful, large courtyard with outdoor seating and 2 outdoor hot tubs. Also consider that this is not a modern hotel with 24-hour per day staff. This is a B&B and the staff goes home at night.

All in all I would stay here again but only if I were able to hand pick my room, which was not the case for me this trip. Based on my experience in the Jemez room I would rate this B&B a 2. But based on the Tio Vivo room I would rate it a 4. I compromised with a 3.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank AustinWhitewater
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 October 2010

If you want to stay in the middle of Taos, this B&B is perfection! It is just a block or so off the main drag and near the restaurants and plaza. The breakfast is amazing, with fabulous food and a beautifully decorated dining room, where marvelous teas with delicious pastries are also served in the afternoon. Our room was in one of the five buildings on the property and it was gigantic and quiet and comfortable. We did not have a lot of contact with the propriertors, but the service was quite good. I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B as the best for price, location, breakfast and rooms in Taos.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We stayed in the Guatamala Room for 2 nights. I wasn't sure about the location but it was great. Bright colorful clean room, great bed. Quiet. Breakfast was wonderful both days and afternoon tea featured 9-10 different baked goods. Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Great food and wonderful accommodations, but the regular front desk person repeatedly made it clear she had better things to do than assist guests. Since the front desk is the Inn's only source of assistance, the bad behavior trumped the food and accommodations. I have managed a service-related business for nearly a decade, and this is among the worst five percent of service-oriented behaviors I've seen.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ratselhaftige
jacksonville, florida
Reviewed 27 May 2010

My friend and I traveled to Taos for a few days. Normally we end up in one room with 2 queen beds but Casa Benavides had the perfect set up for us. The Georgia O'keefe room had 2 separate bedrooms with a bath in between for an excellent price. The room was very clean and the beds very comfortable. Our only complaint was that the room seemed a bit warm even with the cool evenings. We were very lucky that both rooms had ceiling fans.
Breakfast was wonderful and I can't get their delicious home-made granola out of my mind. Just trying to duplicate recipe at home. Staff was pleasant and offered some good dining suggestions.
The library had a small but beautful art collection, and we just wish we'd been back at the Inn during their afternoon "treats". I would definitely return again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends