“Don't waste your time and money”

Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel in July We booked the room around 1:00 but told it would be ready at 3:00 so we payed. Were told which room we had and where located. We returned to check in at 3 and were told we didn't have reservations. The clerk finally called the manager and found our reservation but it was changed to a unsatisfactory location in back area. The room was very outdated but fairly clean. There was no coffee pot or clock. We have traveled extensively and always have a coffee pot & clock. The next morning my husband went to the lobby to get us a cup of coffee and was told they did not provide coffee. We would have to go
to the restaurant to get it. We went to the restaurant to get the buffet breakfast provided with the room. The restaurant was old and not very clean looking. The "buffet" breakfast consisted of dried out scrambled eggs, pancakes, oatmeal and sausages - all cold and looked like had been there for several hours. We asked it we could have some toast to eat with the oatmeal and were told they didn't have bread. For $150 a night we thought we would have a nice place to stay. Don't waste your money on this lodge.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kay2567

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Be ready to enjoy what you enjoyed as a kid, or if you are younger what your parents enjoyed. No internet. Boring but totally functional bathroom - with plenty of hot water to quote what my parents said about decent French hotels when I was a kid. Wrong bulbs in the light fittings so they stuck out. The price was great from some internet site so we didn't care. But had we paid full price in the summer we would have gone ballistic. The fellow serving breakfast had the dirtiest hands and the fithiest nails I have ever seen someone serve with. And I mean ever - not even our son could match this after doing the yard. My mother would have run out of the restaurant screaming. Lucky she is in heaven so she was spared that one. He had just been painting or something. It was so amazingly disgusting that I just laughed and took the view that it was decorating dirt not dog dirt or similar. My wife looked on in bewilderment. I think she was too shocked to comment. Or maybe she was too mad with me for booking this place. Or maybe she was too happy with the $10 she won at the casino down the road the night before. It has all sorts of NM western style charm though and she did like that. Go for it if you like 1960s style. I do. But I really did not like those finger nails. Disgusting. I assume NM has fired all its health inspectors so no one cares, as I can think of no other explanation other than that I was on Candid Camera and all of the US thought I was a slob for not dialing 911 to turn them in.

Room Tip: No suggestions.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeterPakChong
KachinaLodge-Taos, Guest Relations Manager at Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

As the newly hired Quality Specialist for the Kachina Lodge I apologize for the below average experience you had while staying here. I especially apologize for the lack of sanitary standards that you mentioned. I want to assure you I am looking into these issues and am going to do whatever is necessary to correct these problems so that neither you or any other guests have to deal with this sort of problem in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback and bring these issues to our attention and please come back to see the improvements in the future.

David Jennings
Quality Controller

Reviewed 14 August 2013

It is a step into the past a stay at the Kachina Lodge. some old world rustic decore some mid-century modern amenities. frendly economical all around comfortable. only had wifi in certain "spots" in our room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed 12 August 2013

What in the world has happened to the Kachina Lodge? We used to love staying at this motel on our trips to Taos New Mexico, but no more. The rooms were adequate (we changed twice), both rooms missing even basic coffee makers. They offer breakfast, but the food was blah, the atmosphere depressing. I think this hotel used to be a Best Western, but that designation was missing, and that could explain a lot.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank loraine84
Reviewed 9 August 2013

As another reviewer said...u get what u pay for! Room with old moldy smell, a trash container right outside our door overflowing with trash (pic)...headed to lobby for coffee bout 6:30 A.M....walked past the clerk napping at front desk...2 coffee pots half full of cold coffee...aroused the desk clerk ...he said I could get coffee at gas station across the street. The breakfast was edible...barely. Too bad...great location, a little TLC could make a big diff!!

4  Thank opusII
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The price is excellent for what you get in comfort, availability to Taos tourist district, and relaxation.

Kachina Lodge is a lovely older hotel. The rooms are clean. The bed is comfortable. There is no extraneous noise. The grounds are lovely and relaxing...very well landscaped. This hotel is within a couple of blocks easy walking of Taos shops, galleries, and parks.

American breakfast is included in room cost. Eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, oatmeal, orange juice, whole milk, and raisins were on the menu during my stay.

Good price and comfort, in my opinion.

1  Thank Lynnda N
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed at this place for the first time in three years and had stayed at the Lodge for several times over the years. This place was not clean, well maintained and had very low occupancy. After checking in we requested another room and were granted one. The place is understaffed, the bar/lounge has been closed down and the free breakfast was worth missing. Although we feel badly for the staff of this place, I suggest you stay elsewhere. On the good side, the pool was immaculate and warm. I hope this place recovers!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel/motel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Matthew S
KachinaLodge-Taos, General Manager at Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your sincere interest in our future as expressed in your Trip Advisor review about your recent stay with us. Let me assure you that your comments are appreciated and have prompted the action necessary for correction without delay.

We promptly researched the cause of the events that provoked your comments. The low occupancy is typical for a summer weekday in this resort area. The lounge is currently closed for renovations, but it will be better than ever when it re-opens this winter. In the last week since your visit with us, we have begun training staff from all departments to have the hotel better maintained. We also hired a housekeeping and maintenance quality control specialist 2 days ago to raise the quality and value of the entire hotel and it's operations. We understand your unhappiness; and we are sorry.

Please give us another chance during your next visit to Taos; and if you do, you will be well satisfied with the value and hospitality you receive.

Cordially here to serve you,
Spencer Lee