“Spirtual, tranquil oasis nearest to Taos Pueblo”

Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Telluride/ Taos
“Spirtual, tranquil oasis nearest to Taos Pueblo”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I was intially very apprehensive to book a room and staying at the Kachina Lodge after the very negative reviews by fellow 'tripadvisor' guests. But by previous visits to Taos and driving to the Kachina Lodge to attend and watch the nightly "circle of fire" dance from the native americans dancer of Taos Pueblo and admiring their beautifully landscape grounds and being the closest hotel to Taos Pueblo, I decided to take a chance... I'm very glad my bet/intuition paid off! What a beautiful 'Casita' that I was assigned to. It was very spacious, clean and very comfortable, complete with a double-sink bathroom, microwave and refrigerator. You actually don't need a car, once you arrived, very closed walking distance to the 'Plaza', and very nice café/restaurants. I'd dine at a very charming outdoor seating at 'Caffe Rennato' and Taos Inn, Martin's and Adobe Bar. Did try the complimetary breakfast in the 'Kiva Coffee Shop' and had their Spanish Omelette with hot tea. Their nice server was nice enough to arrange a tasty 'chili' on the side to go with my omelette. Very delicious! Of course I would be remissed if I didn't mention that it was very spiritual and moving experience for me, to be so closed to Taos Pueblo and their ancient historic civilization. Just sitting in the evening outside gazing at Taos Mountain was by itself... priceless! Oh, did you know that they have an original statue of Frederic Remington's "Busting Bronco", right outside their main entrance. Remington only made three of them. Even our President (POTUS) don't have the other two, but have to settle for a 22" replica in The Oval Office. I mean, how cool is that? ...

Room Tip: My favourite abode is in the "Santa Fe Casitas"
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank sixcontinentsman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Ive stayed in other hotels in Taos and the Kachina Lodge was by far the worst. Unfriendly front desk staff should have been the clue for me to run. The Room was horrible very unclean and 1980 through and through. The Kachina Lodge seems to be poorly managed and in need of a sever face life with new polite staff. I would think twice before booking here.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HMChipi

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The Kachina is a perfectly fine place to stay with kids. (We were my daughter, me, and two teeny-bopper boys - my grandsons.) They enjoyed the swimming pool and the Kachina Dancers as did we. We all enjoyed the walk to the Plaza, and the near-by eating and shopping establishments. Our room was great with lovely linens and pillows, all very clean and pleasant. It seemed very "elegant" to the four of us, but then, we had just stayed at the Motel 6 in Santa Fe.

Room Tip: Oops - didn't see a Fitness Room - ignore rating
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Viola N
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel in July We booked the room around 1:00 but told it would be ready at 3:00 so we payed. Were told which room we had and where located. We returned to check in at 3 and were told we didn't have reservations. The clerk finally called the manager and found our reservation but it was changed to a unsatisfactory location in back area. The room was very outdated but fairly clean. There was no coffee pot or clock. We have traveled extensively and always have a coffee pot & clock. The next morning my husband went to the lobby to get us a cup of coffee and was told they did not provide coffee. We would have to go
to the restaurant to get it. We went to the restaurant to get the buffet breakfast provided with the room. The restaurant was old and not very clean looking. The "buffet" breakfast consisted of dried out scrambled eggs, pancakes, oatmeal and sausages - all cold and looked like had been there for several hours. We asked it we could have some toast to eat with the oatmeal and were told they didn't have bread. For $150 a night we thought we would have a nice place to stay. Don't waste your money on this lodge.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kay2567
Austin TX
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Be ready to enjoy what you enjoyed as a kid, or if you are younger what your parents enjoyed. No internet. Boring but totally functional bathroom - with plenty of hot water to quote what my parents said about decent French hotels when I was a kid. Wrong bulbs in the light fittings so they stuck out. The price was great from some internet site so we didn't care. But had we paid full price in the summer we would have gone ballistic. The fellow serving breakfast had the dirtiest hands and the fithiest nails I have ever seen someone serve with. And I mean ever - not even our son could match this after doing the yard. My mother would have run out of the restaurant screaming. Lucky she is in heaven so she was spared that one. He had just been painting or something. It was so amazingly disgusting that I just laughed and took the view that it was decorating dirt not dog dirt or similar. My wife looked on in bewilderment. I think she was too shocked to comment. Or maybe she was too mad with me for booking this place. Or maybe she was too happy with the $10 she won at the casino down the road the night before. It has all sorts of NM western style charm though and she did like that. Go for it if you like 1960s style. I do. But I really did not like those finger nails. Disgusting. I assume NM has fired all its health inspectors so no one cares, as I can think of no other explanation other than that I was on Candid Camera and all of the US thought I was a slob for not dialing 911 to turn them in.

Room Tip: No suggestions.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PeterPakChong
KachinaLodge-Taos, Guest Relations Manager at Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
As the newly hired Quality Specialist for the Kachina Lodge I apologize for the below average experience you had while staying here. I especially apologize for the lack of sanitary standards that you mentioned. I want to assure you I am looking into these issues and am going to do whatever is necessary to correct these problems so that neither you or any other guests have to deal with this sort of problem in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback and bring these issues to our attention and please come back to see the improvements in the future.

David Jennings
Quality Controller
Taos
Reviewed 14 August 2013

It is a step into the past a stay at the Kachina Lodge. some old world rustic decore some mid-century modern amenities. frendly economical all around comfortable. only had wifi in certain "spots" in our room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Elizabeth G
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 12 August 2013

What in the world has happened to the Kachina Lodge? We used to love staying at this motel on our trips to Taos New Mexico, but no more. The rooms were adequate (we changed twice), both rooms missing even basic coffee makers. They offer breakfast, but the food was blah, the atmosphere depressing. I think this hotel used to be a Best Western, but that designation was missing, and that could explain a lot.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family