“Don't stay here - Dirty rooms, sticky floors and awful food”

Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Denver, CO
“Don't stay here - Dirty rooms, sticky floors and awful food”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed here when it was still manged by Best Western and the quality was modest. However, when Kachina Lodge changed management - the service went DOWN HILL.
The floors were so nasty and sticky that I didn't take off my shoes. Very uncomfortable.
The food was greasy, dry and God knows how long it was in the buffet area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank trv4life

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Edgewood, New Mexico
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a historical charm I have not seen in any other hotel in Taos, my husband and i were here last month and while the stay was nice then we were very pleased to see so many improvements and upgrades happening. We will definitely come again.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank dearneighbor
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is a Best Western and as we had had good experiences with this chain we ted for it before checking it out big mistake. Although charming on the outside the rooms did not match up. Old and tired, there was: No microwave, no fridge, no coffee maker, no iron and no tissues. The Indian dancers were nice but dinner not. Their licence had lapsed and not been renewed so no wine or beer; my husband ordered battered tilapia which came out with wet coleslaw all over the batter to make it soggy. He thought it tasted odd but hadn't eaten this fish before so finished it off unfortunately. Later in the night and for the next day he was unwell.
Breakfast was no better. They had run out of hot things when we arrived and we had to wait for replenishments. Only iced water was out on display and we had to ask for juice. Tables were not being cleared and. We had to move dirty plates ourselves before we could sit down.
We couldn't wait to leave

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jo P

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

Telluride/ Taos
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I was intially very apprehensive to book a room and staying at the Kachina Lodge after the very negative reviews by fellow 'tripadvisor' guests. But by previous visits to Taos and driving to the Kachina Lodge to attend and watch the nightly "circle of fire" dance from the native americans dancer of Taos Pueblo and admiring their beautifully landscape grounds and being the closest hotel to Taos Pueblo, I decided to take a chance... I'm very glad my bet/intuition paid off! What a beautiful 'Casita' that I was assigned to. It was very spacious, clean and very comfortable, complete with a double-sink bathroom, microwave and refrigerator. You actually don't need a car, once you arrived, very closed walking distance to the 'Plaza', and very nice café/restaurants. I'd dine at a very charming outdoor seating at 'Caffe Rennato' and Taos Inn, Martin's and Adobe Bar. Did try the complimetary breakfast in the 'Kiva Coffee Shop' and had their Spanish Omelette with hot tea. Their nice server was nice enough to arrange a tasty 'chili' on the side to go with my omelette. Very delicious! Of course I would be remissed if I didn't mention that it was very spiritual and moving experience for me, to be so closed to Taos Pueblo and their ancient historic civilization. Just sitting in the evening outside gazing at Taos Mountain was by itself... priceless! Oh, did you know that they have an original statue of Frederic Remington's "Busting Bronco", right outside their main entrance. Remington only made three of them. Even our President (POTUS) don't have the other two, but have to settle for a 22" replica in The Oval Office. I mean, how cool is that? ...

Room Tip: My favourite abode is in the "Santa Fe Casitas"
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank sixcontinentsman
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Ive stayed in other hotels in Taos and the Kachina Lodge was by far the worst. Unfriendly front desk staff should have been the clue for me to run. The Room was horrible very unclean and 1980 through and through. The Kachina Lodge seems to be poorly managed and in need of a sever face life with new polite staff. I would think twice before booking here.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HMChipi
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The Kachina is a perfectly fine place to stay with kids. (We were my daughter, me, and two teeny-bopper boys - my grandsons.) They enjoyed the swimming pool and the Kachina Dancers as did we. We all enjoyed the walk to the Plaza, and the near-by eating and shopping establishments. Our room was great with lovely linens and pillows, all very clean and pleasant. It seemed very "elegant" to the four of us, but then, we had just stayed at the Motel 6 in Santa Fe.

Room Tip: Oops - didn't see a Fitness Room - ignore rating
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Viola N
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel in July We booked the room around 1:00 but told it would be ready at 3:00 so we payed. Were told which room we had and where located. We returned to check in at 3 and were told we didn't have reservations. The clerk finally called the manager and found our reservation but it was changed to a unsatisfactory location in back area. The room was very outdated but fairly clean. There was no coffee pot or clock. We have traveled extensively and always have a coffee pot & clock. The next morning my husband went to the lobby to get us a cup of coffee and was told they did not provide coffee. We would have to go
to the restaurant to get it. We went to the restaurant to get the buffet breakfast provided with the room. The restaurant was old and not very clean looking. The "buffet" breakfast consisted of dried out scrambled eggs, pancakes, oatmeal and sausages - all cold and looked like had been there for several hours. We asked it we could have some toast to eat with the oatmeal and were told they didn't have bread. For $150 a night we thought we would have a nice place to stay. Don't waste your money on this lodge.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple