“Worked great for me”

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Texas
“Worked great for me”
Reviewed 18 March 2009

The room was quite large. 2 queen beds, dining table, and a love seat. The bathroom also had a dressing area which was a complete seperate room. We got a glass of wine at night, played pool, enjoyed the hot tub after a day of skiing and a HOT breakfast in the morning. The wait staff was wonderful...Ramona, our cafe waitress was AWESOME and EXTREMELY attentive.

I enjoyed opening the windows at night (yes it did have A/C but the open fresh air was so nice). We were there for "skiing" so we weren't in the room too much (why would you go to someplace for vacation and stay holed up in a room???).

The hotel was a bit "old". There were a few things that I thought could be worked on but overall it was fine. I was concerned because I saw some negative reviews but I was quite "happy". It may not have been the Ritz or the Waldorf but we were "comfortable" and happy. Several of the other hotels in the general area appeared to be in the same or MUCH worse condition...so that's just the way it is. You could have probably stayed in another hotel a few miles up the road that was obviously rather NEW but the cost was SIGNIFICANTLY more per night. The Kachina hotel was quite a bargin. I will not stay in a rotten hotel but I refuse to pay enormous $$ for a super ritzy hotel that I have no plans to spend HUGE amounts of time in. I expect my hotel to be CLEAN, COMFORTABLE, SAFE and conveniently located to whereever it is I'm visiting. I "prefer" to have a few amenities such as breakfast, hot tub, etc.

On the "negative" side...there internet in it's business center was painfully slow which I used to look up resturants in the area...I really didn't have a GREAT need for the internet so I really didn't care. I really didn't care much for the on-site resturant for "dinner" (BREAKFAST in the cafe was GREAT). But they have several places around. Outback Pizza down the road was good, Orlandos we didn't care for even though it was HIGHLY rated...further up the road off of Pueblo Del Sur close to Walmart was Tequilas...EXCELLENT...

When we go back to Taos...I will DEFINATELY stay there again. The price, location and room was a good deal.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Dragonmouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
San Diego
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We stayed two nights here over Valentine's day. The room was very spacious even with two queen sized beds. One of the beds was very comfortable, the other was extremely broken down and uncomfortable. The room and linens felt clean. The bathroom was another story. The bathtub had permanent texturing on the bottom that was badly discolored; the tiled floor had dirt, dust and hair in all of the corners. Overall, I found the quality of the room to be on par with most Best Westerns. The price we got through hotels.com however made this a very good deal at only $61/night on a three day holiday weekend. The restaurant on site was a little run down, but the room included a free hot breakfast (albeit a limited preset menu compared to their full menu which we did not see). The food was surprisingly tasty and the staff was very friendly.
I recommend this place if you are looking for a cheap stay with average accommodations in the heart of town.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelingfiend
Durango, CO
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Disgusting. Stayed in room 144 at the Best Western Kachina at $75/night for two nights. We had shag carpet that must have been 30 years old. It was so dirty and discolored that we wore socks the entire time. The bath was extremely dated and dirty. The bed was very old and broken down. Breakfast was a complete joke. With that said, the hotel is within easy walking distance of the plaza. Also, rooms do vary. Others in our party had rooms with newer carpet with newer beds. But, one family in particular didn't sleep for two nights due to noise from the room above. If you are in one of the buildings with two floors, I'd highly advise an upstairs room.

Overall, I would not go back and would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Save yourself the headache and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DROAdvisor

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

colorado
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We've stayed at the Kachina Inn three times in the last 10 years. Every time we visit, the place seems more run down. This will be our last visit to kachina inn.

The red shag carpet floor was so dirty, it was black at the door. It must be 30 years old. I saw about 10 ants and a big beetle in our bathroom. The room smelled heavily of cleaning chemicals. The odor didn't fade with familiarity. I think the smell was covering the odor of fetid carpet. The sheets and towels are thread bare. The food is terrible and you have to really dig for southwestern charm at this sorely neglected facility. On the bright side, the woman that checked us in was efficient and friendly.

Go somewhere else if you can.

• Liked — the friendly person that checked us in
  • Disliked — the rampant filth and odor
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bokbokbok
Texas
Reviewed 11 December 2008

We just returned from a ski trip in Taos. This was our second stay at the Kachina Lodge and we had a wonderful stay. I love the spaciousness of the rooms. You get a free sit down full breakfast daily at the coffee shop, great french toast and pancakes with such friendly service from Ramona. In the evening after 5pm you get a free cocktail. After a full day of skiing we would relax in the jacuzzi. This is where we will definately stay the next time we're in Taos, what a great deal.....

• Liked — The spaciousness of the property
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy G
albuquerque, new mexico
Reviewed 5 November 2008

We just got back from a trip to Taos, New Mexico and stayed at the Best Western Kachina Lodge. I wanted to write a report on Trip Advisor and I was very surprised about the negative comments that BW Kachina Lodge had received.

It IS an older property built in the 1960's but had a LOT of charm and character. The rooms are very large and although not real fancy - very clean and comfortable. The staff was one of the friendliest that we experienced in the week we were on the road.

The complimentary full hot breakfast was excellent and the complimentary glass of wine in the evening was a treat.

Again, if you are in Taos, New Mexico, the Best Western Kachina Lodge was a very enjoyable place to stay. I will definitely be back

• Liked — the location and the service
  • Disliked — really nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank lovedtaos
Fredericksburg, Texas
Reviewed 18 October 2008

Hadn't been in Taos in years. It has really changed but hotel hasn't. I liked the large room and breakfast was the best. The hotel is old though and my husband did not think it was very clean. I was just happy to be in Taos but he was right. We enjoyed the Indian dancing nightly at the hotel. For a trip down memory lane- it is worth a shot!

• Liked — Breafast setting- it was like being back in the 1950's. Good food, good service, vintage decor
  • Disliked — They would not allow pets on premise
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple