“Worst of the Worst.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Taos
providence
“Worst of the Worst.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

This place must have been quite the gem in the 1950's-- the kiva shaped breakfast room (complete with incongruous totem pole center support) and kachina doll sconces in the main hall had great kitsch appeal, but once you are out of the common area, everything falls apart. The carpet in the room was stained and dirty (I wore shoes the whole time and kept them by the bed in case I needed to get up at night). The pool was closed and I poked my head in the hot tub room long enough to register the strong bathroom odor therein. I was in a first floor room and was kept up most of the night by the upstairs neighbor walking around and an adjacent neighbor snoring-- the walls (and ceiling) are paper thin. I didnt bother showering, as the bathroom was dirty and old. The indian dance at night was a pleasant diversion, but be aware that they expect a minimum $5.00 donation per person, so bring cash if you plan on viewing. The free breakfast was barely edible. I was a tired, dirty wreck of a person after my one night stay at the Kachina-- do yourself a favor and avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank kachinadancer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

Due to a temporary lapse in common sense, I booked a room at the Best Western Kachina Lodge before I read the Trip Advisor reviews. If I had, I wouldn't have been surprised by the carpet that was so dirty that I wore my shoes the entire time I was in the room. Taos is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Summer of Love this year and I think that's also how long the carpet has been on the floor without a shampooing. There were other areas both inside and outside our room that needed a thorough cleaning like the walls and porches. This is not a reflection on the housekeeping staff. The day to day cleaning was good--clean bathroom and linens. It was the overall neglect of the property that detracted from what would have otherwise been sort of a 60s retro kind of charm.

There were some positive aspects of the Kachina Lodge. It's inexpensive and it's walking distance to the plaza. That's why we chose it. Usually we stay in a bed and breakfast in Taos, but this time we decided to cut expenses, yet we wanted to be close to the heart of Taos. We got exactly what we paid for so I can't complain too much about anything but the carpet. There's no excuse for filth.

Anther positive aspect of the Kachina Lodge is a complimentary glass of wine in the afternoon accompanied by the chance to meet and chat with other guests. We sat by the pool, which had not been opened yet for the season, but it was still a pleasant setting. Best of all was Ramona, the server in the restaurant where we had a decent complimentary breakfast both mornings we were there. We were amazed at how cheerful she was considering how hard she worked in the understaffed cafe.

One annoyance that I'm finding to be quite common is hotels and motels that advertise free wireless internet, including the Kachina Lodge, but the speed is so slow and the signal is so weak that it's nearly useless. If these places are going to tout free wireless as an amenity, then they need to upgrade their service.

Other reviewers were much more positive about their rooms, so I'm going to give the Kachina Lodge the benefit of the doubt and rate it a three rather than a two. Maybe they have better rooms and they just give the dingy, run down ones to the people paying the AAA or AARP rate.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank glennr2
Breckenridge, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

Stayed here on a road trip with the in-laws. The hotel's in a decent location, rooms OK, bar OK, complete with mildly amusing drunk local.

Unfortunately, breakfast was a complete shambles, and the woman on the front desk rude and unhelpful. We were going to stay two nights; we left after one.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaveKnell

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

The room was quite large. 2 queen beds, dining table, and a love seat. The bathroom also had a dressing area which was a complete seperate room. We got a glass of wine at night, played pool, enjoyed the hot tub after a day of skiing and a HOT breakfast in the morning. The wait staff was wonderful...Ramona, our cafe waitress was AWESOME and EXTREMELY attentive.

I enjoyed opening the windows at night (yes it did have A/C but the open fresh air was so nice). We were there for "skiing" so we weren't in the room too much (why would you go to someplace for vacation and stay holed up in a room???).

The hotel was a bit "old". There were a few things that I thought could be worked on but overall it was fine. I was concerned because I saw some negative reviews but I was quite "happy". It may not have been the Ritz or the Waldorf but we were "comfortable" and happy. Several of the other hotels in the general area appeared to be in the same or MUCH worse condition...so that's just the way it is. You could have probably stayed in another hotel a few miles up the road that was obviously rather NEW but the cost was SIGNIFICANTLY more per night. The Kachina hotel was quite a bargin. I will not stay in a rotten hotel but I refuse to pay enormous $$ for a super ritzy hotel that I have no plans to spend HUGE amounts of time in. I expect my hotel to be CLEAN, COMFORTABLE, SAFE and conveniently located to whereever it is I'm visiting. I "prefer" to have a few amenities such as breakfast, hot tub, etc.

On the "negative" side...there internet in it's business center was painfully slow which I used to look up resturants in the area...I really didn't have a GREAT need for the internet so I really didn't care. I really didn't care much for the on-site resturant for "dinner" (BREAKFAST in the cafe was GREAT). But they have several places around. Outback Pizza down the road was good, Orlandos we didn't care for even though it was HIGHLY rated...further up the road off of Pueblo Del Sur close to Walmart was Tequilas...EXCELLENT...

When we go back to Taos...I will DEFINATELY stay there again. The price, location and room was a good deal.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Dragonmouse
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2009

We stayed two nights here over Valentine's day. The room was very spacious even with two queen sized beds. One of the beds was very comfortable, the other was extremely broken down and uncomfortable. The room and linens felt clean. The bathroom was another story. The bathtub had permanent texturing on the bottom that was badly discolored; the tiled floor had dirt, dust and hair in all of the corners. Overall, I found the quality of the room to be on par with most Best Westerns. The price we got through hotels.com however made this a very good deal at only $61/night on a three day holiday weekend. The restaurant on site was a little run down, but the room included a free hot breakfast (albeit a limited preset menu compared to their full menu which we did not see). The food was surprisingly tasty and the staff was very friendly.
I recommend this place if you are looking for a cheap stay with average accommodations in the heart of town.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelingfiend
Durango, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

Disgusting. Stayed in room 144 at the Best Western Kachina at $75/night for two nights. We had shag carpet that must have been 30 years old. It was so dirty and discolored that we wore socks the entire time. The bath was extremely dated and dirty. The bed was very old and broken down. Breakfast was a complete joke. With that said, the hotel is within easy walking distance of the plaza. Also, rooms do vary. Others in our party had rooms with newer carpet with newer beds. But, one family in particular didn't sleep for two nights due to noise from the room above. If you are in one of the buildings with two floors, I'd highly advise an upstairs room.

Overall, I would not go back and would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Save yourself the headache and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DROAdvisor
colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

We've stayed at the Kachina Inn three times in the last 10 years. Every time we visit, the place seems more run down. This will be our last visit to kachina inn.

The red shag carpet floor was so dirty, it was black at the door. It must be 30 years old. I saw about 10 ants and a big beetle in our bathroom. The room smelled heavily of cleaning chemicals. The odor didn't fade with familiarity. I think the smell was covering the odor of fetid carpet. The sheets and towels are thread bare. The food is terrible and you have to really dig for southwestern charm at this sorely neglected facility. On the bright side, the woman that checked us in was efficient and friendly.

Go somewhere else if you can.

• Liked — the friendly person that checked us in
  • Disliked — the rampant filth and odor
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bokbokbok