“Lots of space, but paper-thin walls & no hot water!”

Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Bend, Oregon
“Lots of space, but paper-thin walls & no hot water!”
Reviewed 6 September 2009

This place is in a great location, but you can hear EVERYTHING going on in the room next to you. Everything. And we had no hot water, despite several promises that it would be fixed. Unless you want to bank on extremely quiet neighbors (read: mute) and not shower while you're here, I'd stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yellabella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Colorado
Reviewed 14 August 2009

This hotel was certainly not up to par with the Best Western standards. The non-smoking rooms smelled of stale smoke, there was mildew all over the bathroom walls, the carpet looked like it has been there since the 60s (nappy and gross). The breakfast was so pitiful that I decided to provide the 2nd breakfast for my clients in the parking lot. I couldn't believe how stingy the waitresses were - especially their reluctance to fill up the coffee cups! It wasn't even good coffee to begin with! The front desk staff were totally clueless on how to deal with group reservations, so check in and check out were both HUGE hassels for us. I think we would have been better off camping - this was a terrible hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank IzzyColorado

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

Colorado
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Please stay away from this HOTEL. I could not sleep because there are BUGS on the BED also I left some candy bars on top of the table and while I was awake scratching all over my body I saw a rat eating my candy. I called the Front Desk and nothing was done about it.

NASTY HOTEL..PLEASE STAY AWAY..GO ELSE WHERE..HIGH SPEED INTERNET IS WORTHLESS

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank jpacheco2003
Fareham, Hampshire
Reviewed 13 June 2009

The Kachina Lodge ought to be a great hotel. It has an excellent location near the centre of Taos, not far from the famed Pueblo. The landscaped gardens are lovely. The 1950s style and decor ought to be an asset, evoking the glorious days of US road trips. Indian dances are staged each evening and are worth seeing.

But this hotel is VERY badly run and needs new management with a passion for hospitality, the ability to train staff effectively and a budget to renew worn furnishings and give the place a coat of paint.

There are very few staff. The receptionist had to cope with a long queue and constantly ringing phone. They cannot cope with simple requests and constantly look harassed. Wine and cheese are advertised in the early evening but the rude barman told us he'd worked there for three years and there had never been cheese on offer. He barked an instruction to go to a vending machine for chips or nuts. Eventually, popcorn appeared instead.

Worst of all was the breakfast, proudly advertised as a 'full breakfast'. You have to choose between coffee and fruit juice and brusque signs warn of no refills of juice or soda (one refill for coffee). Poor quality hot food appeared erratically and customers were instructed to sit in one packed area of the restaurant only - although there were plenty of tables elsewhere. Yes, the waitress was very busy but she was also unhelpful verging on rude, keener to serve bikers than families or groups of women. We were amused to see a sign touting for tips advising us to 'remember the server'. We certainly will. But she didn't get a nickel out of us.

I observe earlier reviews making these points for some months now but the management clearly does not care as nothing has been done to improve the hotel.

My advice is to go elsewhere. It's a shame. This ought to be the best hotel in Taos.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Farehamvoyager
Jersey shore
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Despite seeing some poor reviews on TripAdvisor, we picked the Best Western in Taos because 2 couples at our hotel in Santa Fe said it would be adequate for a night's stay. Wrong. First, the reservations clerk told us that since we booked through Expedia, they didn't have to guarantee a room with a King size bed--so we settled for a Queen size. We entered the dusty dank smelling room and although unhappy decided to stay, since it was late and we wanted to at least see some of the town and galleries and have a nice dinner. Not to happen. The shower was freezing cold. We complained. They sent a maintenance person. They moved us to the floor below. Again they couldn't guarantee hot water. We decided to cancel our reservation and they said since we booked on Expedia, they couldn't give us a credit. We had no choice but to accept another room--this time what they called a suite. The water was still not adequately warm but adequate. The only good thing was the free hot breakfast in the morning and the friendly waitress service.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sfrum
providence
Reviewed 20 May 2009

This place must have been quite the gem in the 1950's-- the kiva shaped breakfast room (complete with incongruous totem pole center support) and kachina doll sconces in the main hall had great kitsch appeal, but once you are out of the common area, everything falls apart. The carpet in the room was stained and dirty (I wore shoes the whole time and kept them by the bed in case I needed to get up at night). The pool was closed and I poked my head in the hot tub room long enough to register the strong bathroom odor therein. I was in a first floor room and was kept up most of the night by the upstairs neighbor walking around and an adjacent neighbor snoring-- the walls (and ceiling) are paper thin. I didnt bother showering, as the bathroom was dirty and old. The indian dance at night was a pleasant diversion, but be aware that they expect a minimum $5.00 donation per person, so bring cash if you plan on viewing. The free breakfast was barely edible. I was a tired, dirty wreck of a person after my one night stay at the Kachina-- do yourself a favor and avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank kachinadancer
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 20 May 2009

Due to a temporary lapse in common sense, I booked a room at the Best Western Kachina Lodge before I read the Trip Advisor reviews. If I had, I wouldn't have been surprised by the carpet that was so dirty that I wore my shoes the entire time I was in the room. Taos is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Summer of Love this year and I think that's also how long the carpet has been on the floor without a shampooing. There were other areas both inside and outside our room that needed a thorough cleaning like the walls and porches. This is not a reflection on the housekeeping staff. The day to day cleaning was good--clean bathroom and linens. It was the overall neglect of the property that detracted from what would have otherwise been sort of a 60s retro kind of charm.

There were some positive aspects of the Kachina Lodge. It's inexpensive and it's walking distance to the plaza. That's why we chose it. Usually we stay in a bed and breakfast in Taos, but this time we decided to cut expenses, yet we wanted to be close to the heart of Taos. We got exactly what we paid for so I can't complain too much about anything but the carpet. There's no excuse for filth.

Anther positive aspect of the Kachina Lodge is a complimentary glass of wine in the afternoon accompanied by the chance to meet and chat with other guests. We sat by the pool, which had not been opened yet for the season, but it was still a pleasant setting. Best of all was Ramona, the server in the restaurant where we had a decent complimentary breakfast both mornings we were there. We were amazed at how cheerful she was considering how hard she worked in the understaffed cafe.

One annoyance that I'm finding to be quite common is hotels and motels that advertise free wireless internet, including the Kachina Lodge, but the speed is so slow and the signal is so weak that it's nearly useless. If these places are going to tout free wireless as an amenity, then they need to upgrade their service.

Other reviewers were much more positive about their rooms, so I'm going to give the Kachina Lodge the benefit of the doubt and rate it a three rather than a two. Maybe they have better rooms and they just give the dingy, run down ones to the people paying the AAA or AARP rate.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple