“A very quaint little hotel, spacious rooms.”

Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Albuquerque, NM
“A very quaint little hotel, spacious rooms.”
Reviewed 27 February 2010

This hotel came as a surprise to me and I found myself overall satisfied with my one night stay here. The first thing that surprised me was how spacious my room was. There weren't a lot of extras like refrigerators, etc. but for my brief stay... the beds were comfortable and it was clean.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank theabbysinger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Houston, Tx
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Staying at the Best Western Kachina Lodge was one of the most pleasurable times I have EVER had on a vacation. Where do I start, Arriving their the Hotel was Older and Very distinguished looking, very quaint, very very nice, and I immediately fell in love with it. The front desk clerks were extremely courteous and it felt like meeting an old friend. They went out of their way to pamper us. After check in, we went to our room. Very nice and spacious. I cannot describe the rooms except by saying that this is a 5 star hotel, Luxurious and Spotless. I just could not get over how clean the place was. I'm a clean freak and they where just above and beyond what I expected. Everything was arranged Just So. Everything we needed at our fingertips. Plenty of room for the kids and privacy for me and my wife. And again I just can't over express how courteous the people were. The front desk staff and housekeeping. These people took such great care of us and the rooms Stayed Spotless. I just can't rave about the housekeepers, People I mean SPOTTLESS, and on top of their game. The skiing was amazing, the views and the mountains. I think I’m going to try and relocate because this place is just beautiful; My wife and kids, we all had a blast. We will never forget this vacation, or this place. If you want the best 5 star hotel and lodge come to the Best Western Kachina Lodge & Meetings Center you will not be disappointed. The Fojtik Family had the time of their lives, we will never forget our experience.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank richardfojtik
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 18 December 2009

The worst bed I have ever slept on!!!!! No extras! Hard to work heat! Bad water pressure, wireless internet cut off and on. We had HBO before we went to bed, but when we woke up @ 4 am unable to sleep because our backs hurt there was no more HBO..... Very expensive for what you got. You can tell that they are trying to make it better but they have a long way to go.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Bubba-McDubba

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

Texas
Reviewed 1 December 2009

After taking a night time shower, walking barefoot on the carpet, and proceeding to put on socks, I discovered that the bottoms of my feet were covered with what looked like a liquid solid black substance that I called "fossillized dirt."

THE FIRST CHAPTER: The next morning I spoke with the front desk mgr who was very supportive of my wanting another room. She said the first night's charge would be $49 instead of the usual $90. She walked with me to look at another room that had lots of space and a kitchenette but was too large for us. It also had a couch that had completely flattened cushions that would make for very uncomfortable sitting. I inferred that she thought giving us this what she called "a deluxe room" would pacify me. When I told her that we were happy with the one we had except for the carpet, she showed me one nearer the front, and after walking barefoot on the carpet, I accepted it.

SECOND CHAPTER: Upon checking out, we discovered that the reduced charge for this first night was not included. When I asked about it, I was told that the computer wouldn't let them change it and to call to speak to the front desk mgr in the morning. When I did, she said to give them a while to take care of it. After waiting 2 months (until Nov 24) without hearing from them and inferring that they're hoping/expecting us to have forgotten about it by now, I called and spoke with the asst front desk mgr who said that the refund would be made that day, but if it doesn't show up on our acct in a few days to call her back. It did show up, but instead of their giving the stated more or less 50% reduction, they refunded the entire night's charge. What a pleasant surprise!

While discovering that the carpet in our first room was filthy was a very unpleasant unexpected experience, the people I spoke with were very pleasant and courteous and helpful. But they don't easily make a refund. Unless there is another motel this close to the center of Taos when we come again, we would stay there again only because it is in 1/2 mile walking distance from the center. And this time we would first check the carpet before accepting it. Otherwise the room was nice, as well as clean.

Joan Etter
joanetter@yahoo.com

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blondie70Texas
Southern California
Reviewed 6 November 2009

Do not stay here. They are in existance because of their affiliation with Best Western and location. Otherwise, they would have changed hands or renovated years ago. Rooms still have strong smoke smell and the electrical is 30's era. Many open electrical switchboxes and sub-par extension cords. Our room was not safe. We left after one night and relocated. Also notified AAA they need to change their rating. They already downgraded it a few years ago but we thought that since it was a Best Western it couldn't be that bad- we were wrong. There are plenty of places to stay in Taos, so go elsewhere. Anybody listening at Best Western?

4 Thank SouthwestPhotog
texas
Reviewed 12 October 2009

This place may have been good at one time, but it now gives the Best Western chain a very bad name. The room was shabby, dirty, and the door was broken. Half the lights didnt work in the room. The AC was noisy. The advertized specials of food and drink were not recognized by the staff, even when pointed out from their own brochure! Save your money and stay at a place farther away from the plaza but with liveable quarters.

1 Thank surfman75
Ohio
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Amenities are nice, but my wife and I can be satisfied with a clean room and a comfortable bed. All we had to do was set foot in the building in which our room was located to see what was coming. The window sill at the foot of the second-floor stairs had dead flies all over it. In our room, we found that the bathtub had hairs in it, there was a long black hair on the bed sheet, and dust balls on the baseboard heating registers. We should have left, but we had prepaid for the room, we were very tired after a long day of traveling, and it was late in the evening. I will never book another room without first looking at the tripadvisor reviews!

1 Thank Tom05Ohio