“If my dogs are happy, so am I!”
Review of Indian Hills Inn

Indian Hills Inn
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Taos
“If my dogs are happy, so am I!”
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I called first asking questions. The person answering the phone was very pleasant and knowledgeable. The environment was very laid back with a real local feel. The rooms were clean....continental breakfast....friendly service. My dogs were only a very small chrgs a night and had a huge area to safely play. We have made reservations for a whole week during ski season for a SWEET deal! Hope to see you in Taos this winter.

• Stayed May 2011
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
What can we say other than thanks for your comments. The folks answering the phones have been with us almost 3 years which may be nearing a record for length of stay for hotel employees in Taos. We really work at being friendlier than most hotel front offices, this is your home while on the road and a friendly stop beats the dickens out of the ubber cold professional without any smiles, eye contact, etc. Ski you this winter!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 May 2011

My daughter and I stayed here one night while we were traveling around the area. Before agreeing to stay at the motel we checked out one of the rooms and even though I was hesitant about staying at this motel, my daughter said it was fine for her, so we stayed.
It was a mistake.
While the room was "kind of ok" for the money spent, it was a little cool that night so we turned on the heater. Within about 30 minutes of turning on the heater, my daughter was completely stuffed up with a headache to boot. There was something in the wall heater unit which bothered me as well, although not as badly as my daughter.
I spend about 40 nights a year in hotels/motels and I have never experiened anything like this before. I do not know what was in the heater, however it ruined the rest of our trip for my daughter because of the unknown substance in the wall heater unit.

Room Tip: I would travel on to Santa Fe before I would stay
  • Stayed April 2011
1 Thank sij01
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Sorry that you did not report your problems during your stay. I talked with all the front desk team members and no one recalls anything untoward being reported. I also asked team members to investigate the HVAV in your room to identify any issues. What likely occurred is that the heat hadn't been used in several weeks or months and electric heat will sometimes give off some odor after no use. We were unable to detect anything out of the ordinary odor wise.

When we have other rooms, we'll move a Guest to help them enjoy their visit more. Most nights in April, we had availability.

Again, our apologies for your discomfort. Give us a try next time, we will make your stay more comfy!

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 April 2011

My friends and I stayed here with one of my friend's dog. Great location, good value for the price. I wanted specifically to mention Sergio, one of the housekeeping staff. He went above and beyond to help us figure out when the Taos Pueblo would reopen after a 2 month closure to the public. I don't know why the inn has a policy of asking for housekeeping tips to be given first to the front desk staff. I can only hope the woman at the front desk passed on the monetary tip I earmarked for Sergio. Thank you, Sergio!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mele32
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, 13 July 2015
Thanks for your review. Hope we see you again soon.
Portland, oregon, USA
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Wow. Great place to stay if you want to take in all the Plaza has to offer, it's walking distance from this hotel. We also skied @Sipapu and the Lift Ticket/Room combo deal was simply unbeatable! For a family of 4 skiing is quite expensive and this deal just made our trip! No

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank aherrya
Clovis, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 February 2011

This place is a decent back up choice. The rooms were larger than expected, and the staff was friendly, but it isn't on the top of my recommendation list. As soon as I turned the TV off to get some sleep, it was immediately apparent that the walls are paper thin. I could literally hear every word coming from the TV to our left, and could understand full conversations of the guests on our right. Had I not been wiped out from the long drive, I probably wouldn't have been able to fall asleep. Which brings me to the ichy sheets. The beds, while comfortable and soft, were covered in very irritating sheets and pillows. My final small complaint isn't a huge deal, but the recent "renovations" look like a local guy who had some minor experience as a handy man around the house agreed to do a little work on the side for cheap.

All in all, the hotel isn't horrid and if other nicer hotels in the area are booked up, it is suitable. But for the Indian Inn charging the same amount as the nicer chains in the area, you might want to drive on past.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank statvar
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, 9 March 2011
Sorry your visit wasn't as good as either you or us would have liked. I don't know which room you were staying in but based upon many years of experience, noise management during construction is a challenge. We built 30 rooms about 15 years ago and asked the architect to go a couple levels higher in sound deadening than he originally planned. Unfortunately, it didn't work as well as we'd expected. We'll discuss linen quality with our HK team and endeavor to improve the next Guest's experience. As far as value, looks like you visited over a peak weekend. Most downtown properties were from $125 for singles and up while we were around $80-90. Email the hotel on your next visit to Taos, remind me of your Trip Advisor review, and we'll try to accommodate you more comfortbly. As a small independent, we rely on satisfying our Guests so we get repeat and referral business. Ski you soon!
Amarillo
Reviewed 21 January 2011

So we booked our room with Indian Hills because of the ski deal they are running with Sipapu currently. We normally stay at the Sagebrush Inn and we would of stayed there then as well, however they were booked already. Sagebrush's rooms are very roomy, always nice & clean and have fireplaces in the room's. Full hot breakfast to serve from a menu. It's not a continental breakfast and it's included in the room stay. We have never had a bad experience with them ever and would have stayed there instead but on this trip it just wasn't possible. They as well are running the exact same ski deal with Sipapu so our choice would of absolutely been themselves.

So upon arrival at Indian Hill's here's how it went down. Staff was there. Thats all I can say. She was there because it was her job. Cut and dry. The exterior of this hotel is a bit ran down. To the point that there are support beams on the top floor for the walkway that are rotting. If they had this building inspected it would fail horribly!! The front of this building had somewhat of a make shift storage happening in there. All glass so you could see in there. It looked to be a graveyard for broken microwaves, odd's and end's furniture and just an array of odd things. A mess!! Upon entering the room there was a strong smell of chemicals that was putride. You could see that it was because the carpet had just been installed. However I've had carpet installed in homes many a time and it has never smelt anything like what that smell was. We just chaled it up to that had to be what it was.The baseboards were hanging off in areas because whomever installed the carpet beat them to heck!! The walls needed a new paint job. The lamps and decor were all southwest yet a bit worn out. Believe me I was frightened to let the comforters touch my skin not knowing when it was they last were washed. The lamps in the room had short circuits in them so you had to turn them several times and just right to keep them on. The bathroom was clean. Thank Godness!!! There was one soap and one small shampoo. So this one baby soap provided had to be sent back and forth from sink to the tub. For bathing purposes and hand washing purposes. The is very small and cramped. We decided very quickly to spend the least amount of time in this place as possible. We went for dinner early and to plaza to avoid the room even though we were tired and would of really liked to of gotten a little rest from the drive there. Last time I checked thats what a hotel room was for... resting. Correct?!! Not here.. try nightmares from not knowing whats creeping within. Prior to heading out for the plaza and dinner, I called down to the front desk and asked if we could get a rollaway brought up to the room. I was informed by "Lisa" the front desk clerk at the moment, that the gentlemen that would bring that up lived on the premises and he could maybe bring it up in the next 30 minutes. I said ok no problem thank you as long as we get it here in the next few hours so we have it when we arrive back to sleep. She said ok we'll get that done. We leave and come back and no rollaway. So we decided to go for a glass of wine and my son whom is 17 stayed back at the room. We called him about an hour later to see if any rollaway had arrived and it hadn't. My husband decided to call and check the status on the rollaway. Upon calling and asking that one single solitary question "Lisa" began screaming at the top of her lungs at him how she didn't even talk to him earlier and she didn't know when that stupid rollaway would be brought up if even at all. He then asked her to please calm down so he could please talk that there was no reason to be screaming. He then stated that yes she had spoke to his wife earlier. That all we wanted was to check and see was when the rollaway might be brought up. She then began yelling again to the point where I could hear her from his cell phone and we were at Dr. Martins retaurant lounge with live music in the backdrop and I could hear her over that. She was hysterical and screaming just over us asking what is suppose to be part of her job. Hospitality to the patrons staying within your hotel and paying your wages for staying there. He then asked her if he would be able to get the rollaway at all? She replied I don't know!!!! He replied ok what if I come down and get it myself. She said I don't care... if you want to thats up to you!!!!! He asked her if he could get the managers name so he could speak to them the next day. She informed him there wasn't any management for the hotel at all that she and the other people that worked there were the only people to talk to that there wasn't a manager at all!!! Repeating herself. So when we arrived back. He did indeed have to go down and get the bed himself and carry it up the two flights of stairs. Remember we are the guests we don't work there. It was a mess!! "Lisa" was out of her mind and should not have a job where she works with the general public, especially in a tourist town that thrives because of the people that visit. The next day I spoke with a lady and a man named "Daniel". That was the gentlemens name, and according to "Daniel" he was the person she was screaming at my husband about. He was very appologetic about her behavior. As well as the other girl at the front desk with him they both said they were very sorry. I let them know about her saying there wasn't any management running the place and he said there was management but they lived in another town. They handed me a pamphlet that had an email address that I could email him "John". "John" was the owners and managers name apparently. I was almost laughing at the juncture. I said so I can email him? He doesn't have a number to reach him? They both stated that no I could only email and that was the only way to contact him. They were very nice about it and said they were sorry thats all they could do and again appologized for the night prior. At this point we wanted to just leave. My husbacnd came down and talked to them and they said they could not refund the charges without speaking to John and that John called in during the day one time and he could talk to him then to see what he could do. John stated that he would not be able to refund the money so we were basically stuck with the charges and the room. We also had car troubles and were stranded for a short while until we were able to get a rental car the next day. This hotel does NOT provide shuttle service. Most all hotels in Taos do. The Kachina, The taos inn, the list goes on for hotels that do. I recommend that you always ask if they have shuttle service at any hotel in Taos. All I can follow this up with is if you want to stay in Taos do not under any circumstances consider this place. The prices for this place are not any less than many other places in town. There are chain hotels that cost less than this place and 100 times better. I hope they go out of business or get there act together and truly fix this place up. There is an amazing courtyard that has tons of potential and the view of the mountains is beautiful from this hotel. However either of those things can be obtained elsewhere in Taos. It is a mountain town.

Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Laurallrb
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, 9 March 2011
We're sorry your visit to Indian Hills Inn, Taos Plaza wasn't up to your level of expectations. Sounds like your visit to Taos started poorly with major car repair problems on your trip to Taos. With those stress factors, enjoying a trip is a challenge. Please remember that we do NOT advertise, promote, nor brag about a full breakfast. We do offer numerous suggestions for those who prefer and full breakast. The downtown area offers a number of GREAT choices. As I recall, we did accommodate your request to refund 1 day of the NON REFUNDABLE 2 day lift ticket and lodging package that you had purchased so as to facilitate your early departure, car rental effort, and improve your level of satisfaction. Looks like it didn't help. Perhaps the loud voices of our staff was related to your calling from a local and popular live music bar where both your husband and our front desk team member were having a challenge hearing one another. Although I'm sorry they didn't give you my number, the brochure has my full name listed. Last time I googled myself, there are almost 20,000 hits, many with a phone number. I may be too easy to find :-). As a small hotel, a shuttle would increase room rates so much as to make them far less affordable. No need to debate the number of Taos hotels who offer shuttle (most do NOT). If that's important to a Guest, may I suggest the Guest ask about that up front. In addition, we are located about 100 feet from the Taos Chili Line, the town bus system. Value wise, the price for the special package on weekends and peak periods is $20 for the room. The average rate for Taos is around $100 a night year round for 1 or 2 Guests. How's that compare with the $20 plus lift tickets (same prices as sold at Sipapu)? Thanks for the compliments on the courtyard and mountain views. The courtyard is almost an acre in size and by far the largest in downtown Taos, maybe all of Taos. Hope your next trip doesn't start with car problems! Sorry for the long answer but the review was rather lengthy. Ski you soon!
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights while traveling with a Habitat for Humanity volunteer group. The staff at the hotel were amazingly accommodating to us. One staff member in particular even gave us a carton of ice cream when we were celebrating a birthday. :)

The hotel is walking distance from Taos Plaza, and right across the street from a pizza place, laundromat and grocery store. There is a small pool, and a courtyard with a fire pit.

I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2010
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, 13 December 2010
Thanks for the accolades. Glad to supply Habitat with reasonable and quality lodging for the house building teams. It is just one of the numberous local charitable efforts we help with. Thanks for helping Habitat Taos!