“great location for walkers/friendly staff/comfy rooms”
Review of Indian Hills Inn

Indian Hills Inn
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the Indian Hills Inn. Two people at the front desk, Daniel and Ginny, are uber friendly and really go out of their way to make sure you are happy, have everything you need and are looking for in Taos.I liked being able to walk to the plaza from the room and to some of the good shopping and dining close by. The room itself was comfy and clean. I had room 232 on the upper floor with a view of the mountains, and found it to be surprising quiet. I'm traveling on a budget so the good deal on the stay here was really appreciated.

Room Tip: upstairs on the end
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Thanks so much for your hotel comments and specific team member comments! Without our people providing our Guests the experience desired, expected, and paid for, we'd be lost. Convenient location is our biggest claim to fame. Does it count if we;ve had Wide Spread Panic crew and groupies stay here? We accept your referrals! See you soon!

Reviewed 16 June 2011

This place is cozy, clean and friendly. Conveniently located to anything you could possibly want or need, the Indian Hills Inn is definately where you want to stay. Biker friendly too!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your comments on the hotel. Location, Location, Location is the 3 rules of real estate and our most common reason for folks selecting Indian Hills Inn, Taos Plaza. Send us your bike friends and fellow riders! Most bikes we've had at once was maybe 25 during the Memorial Day weekend Red River Run.

Reviewed 21 May 2011

I called first asking questions. The person answering the phone was very pleasant and knowledgeable. The environment was very laid back with a real local feel. The rooms were clean....continental breakfast....friendly service. My dogs were only a very small chrgs a night and had a huge area to safely play. We have made reservations for a whole week during ski season for a SWEET deal! Hope to see you in Taos this winter.

• Stayed: May 2011

What can we say other than thanks for your comments. The folks answering the phones have been with us almost 3 years which may be nearing a record for length of stay for hotel employees in Taos. We really work at being friendlier than most hotel front offices, this is your home while on the road and a friendly stop beats the dickens out of the ubber cold professional without any smiles, eye contact, etc. Ski you this winter!

Reviewed 8 May 2011

My daughter and I stayed here one night while we were traveling around the area. Before agreeing to stay at the motel we checked out one of the rooms and even though I was hesitant about staying at this motel, my daughter said it was fine for her, so we stayed.
It was a mistake.
While the room was "kind of ok" for the money spent, it was a little cool that night so we turned on the heater. Within about 30 minutes of turning on the heater, my daughter was completely stuffed up with a headache to boot. There was something in the wall heater unit which bothered me as well, although not as badly as my daughter.
I spend about 40 nights a year in hotels/motels and I have never experiened anything like this before. I do not know what was in the heater, however it ruined the rest of our trip for my daughter because of the unknown substance in the wall heater unit.

Room Tip: I would travel on to Santa Fe before I would stay
  • Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank sij01

Sorry that you did not report your problems during your stay. I talked with all the front desk team members and no one recalls anything untoward being reported. I also asked team members to investigate the HVAV in your room to identify any issues. What likely occurred is that the heat hadn't been used in several weeks or months and electric heat will sometimes give off some odor after no use. We were unable to detect anything out of the ordinary odor wise.

When we have other rooms, we'll move a Guest to help them enjoy their visit more. Most nights in April, we had availability.

Again, our apologies for your discomfort. Give us a try next time, we will make your stay more comfy!

Reviewed 1 April 2011

My friends and I stayed here with one of my friend's dog. Great location, good value for the price. I wanted specifically to mention Sergio, one of the housekeeping staff. He went above and beyond to help us figure out when the Taos Pueblo would reopen after a 2 month closure to the public. I don't know why the inn has a policy of asking for housekeeping tips to be given first to the front desk staff. I can only hope the woman at the front desk passed on the monetary tip I earmarked for Sergio. Thank you, Sergio!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mele32
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2015

Thanks for your review. Hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2011

Wow. Great place to stay if you want to take in all the Plaza has to offer, it's walking distance from this hotel. We also skied @Sipapu and the Lift Ticket/Room combo deal was simply unbeatable! For a family of 4 skiing is quite expensive and this deal just made our trip! No

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank aherrya
Reviewed 20 February 2011

This place is a decent back up choice. The rooms were larger than expected, and the staff was friendly, but it isn't on the top of my recommendation list. As soon as I turned the TV off to get some sleep, it was immediately apparent that the walls are paper thin. I could literally hear every word coming from the TV to our left, and could understand full conversations of the guests on our right. Had I not been wiped out from the long drive, I probably wouldn't have been able to fall asleep. Which brings me to the ichy sheets. The beds, while comfortable and soft, were covered in very irritating sheets and pillows. My final small complaint isn't a huge deal, but the recent "renovations" look like a local guy who had some minor experience as a handy man around the house agreed to do a little work on the side for cheap.

All in all, the hotel isn't horrid and if other nicer hotels in the area are booked up, it is suitable. But for the Indian Inn charging the same amount as the nicer chains in the area, you might want to drive on past.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank statvar
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2011

Sorry your visit wasn't as good as either you or us would have liked. I don't know which room you were staying in but based upon many years of experience, noise management during construction is a challenge. We built 30 rooms about 15 years ago and asked the architect to go a couple levels higher in sound deadening than he originally planned. Unfortunately, it didn't work as well as we'd expected. We'll discuss linen quality with our HK team and endeavor to improve the next Guest's experience. As far as value, looks like you visited over a peak weekend. Most downtown properties were from $125 for singles and up while we were around $80-90. Email the hotel on your next visit to Taos, remind me of your Trip Advisor review, and we'll try to accommodate you more comfortbly. As a small independent, we rely on satisfying our Guests so we get repeat and referral business. Ski you soon!