“Pretty Nice with one exception”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Arkansas
“Pretty Nice with one exception”
Reviewed 13 August 2010

To get to the point, my exception related to the free Wireless service. The reception was terrible, even when I went to the lobby to try to get closer to the server. I called their technical support but the guy wanted to change my settings and I knew my computer was not at fault. It was fine for me to do without internet for a day!!!! Others may not like it.

Aside from that, the reception staff were extremely nice and very well organized. Why not, they were women!! This is an older hotel and quite spread out. There was surprisingly no noise around our room, even though it was located across from a stairway. I found it interesting that this property still has smoking rooms and noticed that on the first floor there are smoking rooms across from non-smoking rooms. So there is a smoky odor in the hallways. It's time for Quality to move forward to the 21st Century!

The location was very convenient to the Plaza and Pueblo areas. There is a Walmart across the street at the next traffic light. There is also a great coffee shop across the street which was voted number one is some newspaper poll. I think it is called Taos Java?? Owned and run by two women I think. The coffee is roasted by them and is very very good. I had to wait in line and the others were all regulars.

The hotel breakfast is in their restaurant. In its day, it must have been a happening place. Full service cooked to order breakfast is included with the room price. There were several local regulars eating as well.

The bottom line is this is a fine place to stay as long as you make sure you get a room far away from the smokers and internet is not a life and death requirement!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gerryrtodd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed the night of July 31st. We arrived to a friendly clerk at the front desk. Hotel was quiet and we received the type of room we requested. I was very pleased with this hotel. Not a 5 star by any means, but a good hotel on the night we passed through.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DrDoppler
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 June 2010

The rooms were quiet, large, and well decorated. Fridge and micro were a bonus, as was the made-to-order breakfast: 4 choices including one that had 2 eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, tea/coffee and oj.

They have the biggest pool I've ever seen at a motel, and a really nice GRASSY area with cafe type picnic tables that are shady in the morning and late afternoon. You get a lovely view of the mountains...I watched the sunrise over the Sangre de Cristo.

It's on the edge of town (if you're coming from Santa Fe), within walking distance of the Visitor Center. You have to drive into the historic district but there is plenty cheap and even free parking available down there...we never had trouble finding a spot even during peak hours.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TommyBear
washington, d.c.
Reviewed 4 January 2010

My options were limited, as I was traveling with my dog, but the Quality Inn did not disappoint. Free breakfast, free internet, free hot tub (perfect after a day of skiing!), and only a nominal pet fee. The room was comfortable, the food was good, and the service was great. They even accommodated my early check-in and late checkout requests. If I'm ever in the area again, I would definitely stay at the Quality Inn.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
odessa
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Initial impression was average. Maintenance was very prompt to remedy a situation when sink flooded because the hotel was at full capacity and sewer had nowhere to go but in our room. Mgmt seemed a little bit insensitive about the inconvenience of us having to relocate to another room. We had a lot of ski equip etc. to move but the maint guys elped us to relocate. My son forgot a souveneir in the room and it disapeared after the room was cleaned. Food is ok with a good salad bar. Breakfast is a bargain. I'll look for another place for same price before I go here again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Iowa and Florida
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This hotel appears to by a "made-over" older Holiday Inn, as are many Quality Inns -- and it is better than other similar hotels in which we have stayed. Our room was clean, large and nicely decorated with shade trees and the swimming pool in a park-like setting right outside our door. The bedding, microwave, refrigerator and TV were newer.

The location is good -- not in the historic area, but closer than some of the newer hotels -- and the price was right.

A complimentary full breakfast was served in the dining room, but the service was a little slow. The food was served to us (not a buffet) and it was a veery good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We had never been to Taos, so I just went with this hotel chain because it is familiar. Now that I know more about Taos, we would stay at a smaller, locally owned hotel closer to the center of town.

Pros:
Hot tub: large and hot.

Free breakfast pros: cooked-to-order breakfast, plenty of food, you get an insulated pot of coffee (see breakfast cons, too).

Wireless internet in room: available and it works.

Room decor: punched-tin mirror frames, tilework in vanity, and southwestern furniture added a lot to the hotel ambiance.

Cons:
Cleanliness: the carpet felt dirty underfoot, and there was a ceiling vent in the hot tub room that made me gag when I looked at it - covered in dirt/dust/mold.

Pool: completely unheated and about a foot low on water.

Vanity/bathroom: the door to the shower/toilet room opened out into the vanity area, leaving two options: either leave the door open and cover the closet nook in the vanity area (which is where we hung our toiletry bags because of zero counter space around the sink), or keep the door closed and the bathroom stays unpleasantly moist from showers (no fan).

Free breakfast cons: you must come down to breakfast as one group, so we couldn't take our daughter breakfast in the room (she slept in one morning and, thus, missed breakfast); the hash browns and eggs were fairly greasy; the waitresses were borderline rude with their brusqueness.

Location: far from the center of town, so you need to drive in and then deal with parking-in-town issues.

I would not recommend this hotel to a friend because there are many more "Taos-y" places to stay that would be nicer.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family