“Love this place!”

El Camino Lodge
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Taos
“Love this place!”
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

The hotel is extremely clean and the staff is very friendly. Rooms are spacious and beds are comfortable. Rates are very reasonable and they offer discounts to repeat customers. breakfast area is clean and the options are perfect.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Leslie S
, Guest Relations Manager at El Camino Lodge, responded to this review, 8 February 2017
Thank you so much for your review. I realize you were here some time ago, but we have just purchased the hotel and as part of the transition we are replying to all the reviews of the past. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced along with a deep cleaning and fresh paint. We are a work in progress, and we still have a long way to go. The name is also being changed to the Taos Valley Lodge. Hopefully, you will come and stay with us the next time you are in the area. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I am staying here right now. Very friendly staff, check in was a breeze. Wifi is working no problem. I appreciate that they are a pet-friendly hotel as I travel with my dog on a lot of business trips.

Notes on the hotel:

Beds are firm. Pillows are old and clumpy. This hotel uses the old-school bedspreads that do not get washed after each travelers' visits- only the sheets and pillowcases appear to have been cleaned. The best improvement they could make, as all older hotels should, is to update to the newer style duvets and use oversized sheets as the bedspread. That way each guest is guaranteed a sanitary place to at least sit on the bed as the duvet cover would get washed along with the sheets after each and every visit.

The heater/fan is very loud but does a good job of muting the noise from the road I guess. I can also hear neighbor's tvs and footsteps from the upper level if the heater turns off.

As with most motor-inn hotels there is not easy access to an electric outlet near the nightstand (to charge phone). While searching for an outlet I noticed trash (lid from yogurt cup) and several pieces of Cheerios on the floor by the bed and nightstand. Not to mention a lot of dust..this place hasn't been cleaned thoroughly in awhile. I also found a very large/long hair on one of the bathroom towels.

There is a soap dispenser near the sink and also one in the shower. Very cheap and very not to my liking. Is this a truckstop?

I realize I may have a pet-specific room, but the carpet in this room (#104) is filthy- I would not walk on it barefoot and I wouldn't make my dog lie on it either. He gets his own bed from home..

For the price on Expedia it was as expected. I think next time I may try something for ten/fifteen bucks more in hopes of a higher standard of cleanliness. The staff seemed nice so hopefully they can review this with their housekeeping team.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Xajiks
wiexpo, Corporate Attorney at El Camino Lodge, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
After the management of the Whitten Inn read this reviewer’s post, as the corporate attorney for the Whitten Inn, I was asked to go to the Whitten Inn and conduct my own inspection of the room. I went there immediately. I was pleasantly surprised at how attractive the room was and I thought its local décor was appealing. The carpet has a lovely pattern and color. The carpet was spotless and clean. I would have no qualms about sleeping on the carpet myself, let alone my two doggies. The bed is firm, however, that is a matter of preference, and I noticed that there were three pillows on each double bed. I tested them for softness because often in hotels the pillows are too hard and thick on which to sleep comfortably. I found that the pillows were just the right amount of softness with support so that I would have the option of using either one or two pillows on which to sleep. In any case, I did learn from management that they have already ordered new pillows for all of their rooms. I turned on the fan and I do not agree with the reviewer’s opinion that the fan was too loud. In my opinion, the sound of the fan was at a soothing volume. I like sleeping to those sounds. The soap dispenser is used in the bathrooms for sanitary reasons. The sink and vanity area is separate from the tub and toilet. Both areas were clean. So were the ceilings and corners. I looked for dust but could not find any anywhere. When I asked management what they charge per night for the room, I was surprised by the reasonable price versus the quality of what you would expect.
Chattanooga
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My room was clean and comfortable. Since I was paying so little, I knew what to expect and what not to expect. I was well satisfied.

The hotel staff, however, exceeded my expectations. I got lots of helpful advice about dining around Taos, and they were wonderfully pleasant. The very basic breakfast was good -- not great but very acceptable.

Room Tip: Just bear your expectations in mind. Have you come to Taos to sit in a room or to see the sights...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TNTROUTTHNTR
Thank you so much for your review. I realize you were here some time ago, but we have just purchased the hotel and as part of the transition, we are replying to all the reviews of the past to update you on what we are doing here. The hotel is being remodeled and updated both inside and out. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced. It will be so nice once it is completed. We are also changing the name to the Taos Valley Lodge. Hopefully, you will come and stay with us the next time you are in the area. Again, thank you for your review, it was very important to us.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 29 September 2012

It's not a bad place, but the walls are thin and the condition of the room and beds and bathroom ~ so-so. You can probably do better for the money but if you just need a place, it's okay. If you don't mind stairs, ask for an upstairs room to cut down on overhead noise.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your review. I know you were here some time ago, but we have just purchased the hotel and are in the process of remodeling and updating both inside and out. We are a work in progress, and as we've been in the hotel business for some time, realize we still have a long way to go. We are also changing the name to the Taos Valley Lodge. Hopefully, the next time you are in the area you will give us a second chance. I assure you that you won't be disappointed. Again, thank you for your review, it was very helpful to us.

ponte vedra
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Comfortable, affordable, friendly older hotel - clean and well maintained on main highway through Taos. Breakfast provided each morning of basics - cereal, bread, coffee, juice - the basics. Stayed here for two nights while in town for fishing - nice break from camping/long drives but wouldn't want to spend a week here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Flawanderingwoman
, Guest Relations Manager at El Camino Lodge, responded to this review, 13 February 2017
Thanks for the nice review. I realize you were here some time ago, but as we just purchased the hotel, we are replying to all the reviews as part of our transition plan. We are in the process of remodeling and updating the hotel, both inside and out. You are correct that it is older and in dire need of these updates. We have a long way to go, but we are up to the challenge and are excited about the outcome. Hopefully, if you are ever in the area again, you will give us a second chance. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us.

Massillon, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This whiiten inn in Taos NM is the first time I ever stayed at one of there facilities. The rooms where pretty clean and crew did a nice job cleaning and maintaining the room everyday I stayed.The rooms were equipped with newer flat screened televisions and had a mini fridge and microwave which was nice to use...Also the staff was very friendly and was a pleasure to dell with...great place for the money

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank tminor79
Thank you for your nice review. I realize you were here quite some time ago, but as we have just purchased the hotel, we are replying to all the reviews as part of our transition plan. We are in the process of remodeling and updating the hotel, both inside and out. As with all hotels, these things need to be done to keep things running smoothly. Hopefully, if you are ever in the area you will come back and stay with us. Again, thank you for your review, it was very important to us.

Austin, TX
Reviewed 24 August 2012 via mobile

Part independent, part chain- seeming hotel. Outside concrete lots and walkways need to be power washed . Pet friendly. Lousy breakfast. They try to cater to tourists and out of town workers. Budget hotel. Near a grocery store and on the main highway.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
I have just read your review, and I wanted to thank you. I realize you were here quite some time ago, however, we have just purchased the hotel and are replying to all the reviews as part of the transition plan. You are right, the hotel has a lot of issues that need to be addressed. We are remodeling and updating, both inside and out. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced, as we speak. When the weather is warmer, the parking area is going to be resurfaced. We are a work in progress and we have a long way to go. Hopefully, if you are ever in the area again, you will give us a second chance and let us know how we are doing. Again, thank you for your review, it has been very helpful to us.