“Clean & Dog Friendly”

El Camino Lodge
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Taos
“Clean & Dog Friendly”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The room was large and clean, with a gas fireplace and we were allowed to have our dog along. The rooms looked to be recently remodeled, with fresh paint and a new TV. The hot tub is huge and was well-cared for (clean). The breakfast was typical continental with a self-made waffle machine available. This hotel could work on frequency in attending to the breakfast room. The trash was overflowing both mornings and the key item....coffee...was often out. Also, the external halls are clean, but aging and need some attention.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wb81224
, Guest Relations Manager at El Camino Lodge, responded to this review, 8 February 2017
Thank you for such a nice review. I know it's been some time since you were here, but we have just purchased the hotel and wanted to let you know what we are doing here. We are remodeling and updating the hotel both inside and out. It will still be pet friendly, as this is a very important feature. Also, all the carpet and furniture is being replaced. All hotels have to do these updates on a regular basis, so it will still have all the nice qualities but cleaner and nicer. The name is also being changed to the Taos Valley Lodge. Hopefully, you will come and stay with us if you are ever in the area. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Utah
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We travel quite a lot for business and pleasure, but our favorite destination is Taos. We love the people and the skiing...Of course we always stay here at the Whitten Inn when we're in town and its not just because of the friendly staff or the clean rooms, not to mention the fabulous heated indoor pool and hot tub, but the signs that they always have up which attracted us to this hotel in the first place. We think that they are clever and lots of fun. We were here just last week and we got to fip a coin to see if we could get a half priced room on their already reasonable prices. And a month ago we sang a song to get a $20 dollar discount which the kids loved doing. Everytime we're here its always something new we're excited to see what they come up with for next week. If your in taos, make this your hotel for good fun, great service and clean rooms. They really do make you feel like your at home.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for such a nice review. We have just recently purchased the hotel and as part of the transition, we are replying to all the reviews from the past, and we thought you would like an update. We are remodeling and updating the hotel both inside and out. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced along with a fresh coat of paint. We are also changing the name to the Taos Valley Lodge. We do hope you come and stay with us the next time you're in town. Again, thank you for your review, it has been so important to us.

Spring, Texas
Reviewed 22 January 2013

This hotel was average and you can tell they are updating the property. The breakfast they offered was excellent. The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. We had a two night stay with no worries. Also, the price was VERY reasonable. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
We wanted to thank you for your nice review. We realize you were here some time ago, but we just purchased the hotel and just wanted to say thanks and let you know what is going on here. We are remodeling and updating, both inside and out. The lobby has already been done with a new "check-in" program and new computers. We are a work in progress and we still have a lot to do. We are also changing the name to the Taos Valley Lodge. Hopefully, you will come and stay with us the next time you are in the area. Again, thank you for your review, it was so helpful to us.

London
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We choose this hotel on the basis of TA reviews and the fact that it was less than a mile to downtown. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a continous pavement into town and given that it was snowy and icy, we ended up driving in instead.

Although motel is on the main road, the rooms themselves are set well back from the road so we had no road noise and slept very well on comfortable mattresses.

In comparison to other motels in this price bracket, the breakfast was relatively poor.

Showers were excellent.

Despite these minor concerns, we would happily return in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EAWhitley1
Thank you for your nice review. We have just recently purchased the hotel and as part of the transition we are replying to all the reviews both past and present. We are remodeling and updating the hotel both inside and out. We're also in the process of replacing all the carpet and furniture along with a fresh paint job. All hotels need this done on a regular basis and this one is no exception. We are a work in progress and are very excited about the outcome. The name is also being changed to the Taos Valley Lodge. Hopefully, you will come and stay with us the next time you're in the area. Again, thank you for your review, it is so important to us.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Not really any brand hotels in the area like HI, Hilton, Marriott. But been to many of the independents and would have to rate this one as one of the better ones. More of a motel than hotel as doors are outside. But friendly staff.....we were in town for Hockey tournament and they accommodated our team by allowing them to soak in the hot tub after games (after hours that the tub is normally closed). Friendly staff!

Rooms are so-so, nothing special there and not top notch linens or furniture by any means, but again for Taos this place isn't bad for under $100/nt

Room Tip: Believe it or not the rooms closest to the front office are the quietest.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank bruce p
Thank you for your nice review, we really appreciate it. We have just purchased the hotel and as part of the transition we are replying to the reviews of the past and present. We are now in the process of replacing all the carpet and furniture along with a fresh coat of paint, and we are remodeling and updating both inside and out. We are also changing the name to the Taos Valley Lodge. Hopefully, you will stay with us the next time you are in the area. Again, thank you for your review, as they are so important to us.

Plano, Illinois
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

The hotel is extremely clean and the staff is very friendly. Rooms are spacious and beds are comfortable. Rates are very reasonable and they offer discounts to repeat customers. breakfast area is clean and the options are perfect.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Leslie S
Thank you so much for your review. I realize you were here some time ago, but we have just purchased the hotel and as part of the transition we are replying to all the reviews of the past. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced along with a deep cleaning and fresh paint. We are a work in progress, and we still have a long way to go. The name is also being changed to the Taos Valley Lodge. Hopefully, you will come and stay with us the next time you are in the area. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us.

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I am staying here right now. Very friendly staff, check in was a breeze. Wifi is working no problem. I appreciate that they are a pet-friendly hotel as I travel with my dog on a lot of business trips.

Notes on the hotel:

Beds are firm. Pillows are old and clumpy. This hotel uses the old-school bedspreads that do not get washed after each travelers' visits- only the sheets and pillowcases appear to have been cleaned. The best improvement they could make, as all older hotels should, is to update to the newer style duvets and use oversized sheets as the bedspread. That way each guest is guaranteed a sanitary place to at least sit on the bed as the duvet cover would get washed along with the sheets after each and every visit.

The heater/fan is very loud but does a good job of muting the noise from the road I guess. I can also hear neighbor's tvs and footsteps from the upper level if the heater turns off.

As with most motor-inn hotels there is not easy access to an electric outlet near the nightstand (to charge phone). While searching for an outlet I noticed trash (lid from yogurt cup) and several pieces of Cheerios on the floor by the bed and nightstand. Not to mention a lot of dust..this place hasn't been cleaned thoroughly in awhile. I also found a very large/long hair on one of the bathroom towels.

There is a soap dispenser near the sink and also one in the shower. Very cheap and very not to my liking. Is this a truckstop?

I realize I may have a pet-specific room, but the carpet in this room (#104) is filthy- I would not walk on it barefoot and I wouldn't make my dog lie on it either. He gets his own bed from home..

For the price on Expedia it was as expected. I think next time I may try something for ten/fifteen bucks more in hopes of a higher standard of cleanliness. The staff seemed nice so hopefully they can review this with their housekeeping team.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Xajiks
wiexpo, Corporate Attorney at El Camino Lodge, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
After the management of the Whitten Inn read this reviewer’s post, as the corporate attorney for the Whitten Inn, I was asked to go to the Whitten Inn and conduct my own inspection of the room. I went there immediately. I was pleasantly surprised at how attractive the room was and I thought its local décor was appealing. The carpet has a lovely pattern and color. The carpet was spotless and clean. I would have no qualms about sleeping on the carpet myself, let alone my two doggies. The bed is firm, however, that is a matter of preference, and I noticed that there were three pillows on each double bed. I tested them for softness because often in hotels the pillows are too hard and thick on which to sleep comfortably. I found that the pillows were just the right amount of softness with support so that I would have the option of using either one or two pillows on which to sleep. In any case, I did learn from management that they have already ordered new pillows for all of their rooms. I turned on the fan and I do not agree with the reviewer’s opinion that the fan was too loud. In my opinion, the sound of the fan was at a soothing volume. I like sleeping to those sounds. The soap dispenser is used in the bathrooms for sanitary reasons. The sink and vanity area is separate from the tub and toilet. Both areas were clean. So were the ceilings and corners. I looked for dust but could not find any anywhere. When I asked management what they charge per night for the room, I was surprised by the reasonable price versus the quality of what you would expect.