“Nice Stay”

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed with several friends to attend motorcycle rally in Red River, NM. Very clean, slightly dated, but our room came with a hot tub. New owners that were very nice. Complimentary breakfast was sufficient to get to an early lunch.

Room Tip: Good location, in the middle of town. Rooms on the east side is away from the street on the back si...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LauriAnne H
, Guest Relations Manager at El Camino Lodge, responded to this review, 3 January 2017
Thank you so much for your review. I realize it was written quite some time ago, but we have just recently purchased the hotel and as part of our transition process, we are replying to all the reviews. Yes, the hotel is very dated and we are addressing that issue. The hotel is being remodeled, both inside and out. The lobby and front desk area is already updated with a new check in/check out program, which will make this process much more efficient. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced. Hopefully, you will come stay with us the next time you are in the area. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us. Also, another important thing, we are changing the name to The Taos Valley Lodge.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The one thing bad about this place is that the pool was unbearable it smelled funny and there was hair everywhere and it was green so if your just going to stay sleep and eat I highly recommend it but if you have children who want to go to the pool this is not your place. The best thing about this place was the service, breakfast, and the room we got. There was no bugs, good thing.

Room Tip: Bring a bar soap and shampoo because they didn't have that.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review from 2014. We have just recently purchased the hotel and I am replying to all the reviews of the past. I would like to apologize for your stay, I wish the pool area would have been better for you and your family. We have been in the hotel business for some time now and we are remodeling the hotel both inside and out. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced. Hopefully, you will come and stay with us again if you are ever in the area. I can assure you that that you won't be disappointed. We are also changing the name to The Taos Valley Lodge. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Inn needs a lot of deferred maintainence. Construction workers staying there drink beer outside in the evening. I need wifi and could not get it in two rooms. Because of this I left a day early. Ask for refund and was told they could only give a credit good for one year. Less then three months later I tried to use credit for a one night stay. Was told by a front desk agent who would not give her name that the management had changed and I would need to track down the old management to get a refund. I pointed out the the paper work giving the credit did not refer to any management group just the Whitten Inn which was clearly still the name - it didn't matter. I ask for the manager's name and the front desk would not tell me. I ask for them to call the manager and they would not. I ask for the managers phone number and was not given it. It was before 4 pm on a Friday and i was told all manaagement was gone and would not return until monday. Finally I ask for the manager to call me on monday and of course received no call.

Room Tip: Go to another motel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank islandfolly
I have jut read your review from July 2014. I would like to apologize for your dreadful experience at the Whitten Inn. We have just recently purchased the hotel and I can assure you, this would never have happened. We are renovating and updating the hotel. The Lobby and Front Desk are already done and running smoothly, with a new program installed and people who can run it. All the furniture and carpet are being replaced, so it will all be fresh and clean. Our entire staff is being retrained and rebuilt and as part of their training, we are teaching Customer Service. I cannot even imagine how you felt, being treated as you were. Please, if you are ever in the area again, stop by and speak to our new owner, I know he would welcome the opportunity to talk to you. Perhaps, he could make this up to you somehow. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us. We are also changing the name to The Taos Valley Lodge. Hope to see you soon.

Guest Relations

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We got a room at the Whitten because everything else we looked at with two queen beds was filled. The price was good. The room was average and we had some jack*** who parked his truck and trailer sideways blocking six spots directly in front of the rooms. We had to park across the lot and haul all our stuff to the room. Not a good way to start. The hotel and rooms are dated. The bathroom was a little funky but the rest was clean. We really just needed beds so it wasn't too bad for us. Would probably stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
I have just read your review for 2014. I realize it's been some time ago, but we have just recently purchased the hotel and as part of the transition process, we are replying to all the reviews. All I can say about the truck and trailer incident, is some people just do not care about others. However, had we owned the hotel, you would have had no problem as we would have made him move. We are remodeling the hotel both inside and out and also retraining and rebuilding our entire staff. The Lobby and Front Desk area are already done and running smoothly. We have been in the hotel business for some time now, so we have some idea of what needs to be done. It is a big challenge, but we look forward to the end result. Hopefully, if you are ever in the area again, you will give us a second chance. Our new name will be The Taos Valley Lodge. Thank you again for your review, it is very important to us.

Billings, Montana
Reviewed 25 July 2014

DO NOT BELIEVE THE REVIEWS ABOUT HOW NICE OF A PLACE. We stayed here for 1 night and were extremely disappointed. The room doesn’t look like it has been updated since it was built. The bed was hard as concrete and the place was filthy. The walls had hair and white stuff on them. The mirrors were so dirty, a person could see anything in them. I could see white hand prints on the door to the bathroom. I would have went elsewhere but this was during the fiesta which I didn’t go for. This was our 2nd try on hotel rooms that night in Taos. If I could have gotten my money back, I would have slept in my truck.

Room Tip: Insist on looking at the room before paying. Check to make sure the sheets are clean.
1 Thank Montanangel
I have just read your review from 2014. I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. We have just recently purchased the hotel and I can assure you, this would never have happened. We are remodeling the hotel, both inside and out. All the carpet and furniture, including the beds, are being replaced. We are retraining and rebuilding the entire staff. We feel that the housekeepers were never trained properly or even at all! It all comes back to management! We really stress "Customer Service". It is so important. If you are ever in the area again, please give us a second chance. Perhaps, you would like to talk to the new owner, I know he would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about your previous stay. We are changing the name to The Taos Valley Lodge. Again thank you for your review, it is so important to us.

Most Sincerely,

Malakoff, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Dirty walls and baseboards
No coffee or cups for the coffee pot
Dirty towel left hanging on bathroom door
Unknown white powder sprinkled behind the beds ( I guess for bugs )
Stained ceiling tiles in bathroom
Toilet dirty
I would not recommend staying here. We locked the doors and did not go outside our room. Leaving asic soon awhile we get up.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
1 Thank Shelly H
I have just read your review and I am so sorry for your dreadful experience at the Whitten Inn. I realize it was some time ago but we have just recently purchased the hotel and as part of the transition process, we are replying to all the reviews of the past. We are remodeling the hotel both inside and out. The entire staff is being retrained and rebuilt. We don't feel, they were trained properly, and apparently, management never checked to see how they were doing. This will never happen at our place. When you check into a hotel, at the very least, you should expect cleanliness, security and be treated with respect. We stress Customer Service in our training program, very important. We are also changing the name to The Taos Valley Lodge. Hopefully, you will give us a second chance, if you are ever in the area again. I can assure you, that you won't be disappointed. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us.

Most Sincerely,

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My family and I were supposed to stay at the Whitten Inn for a softball tournament. They lost my reservation about 3-4 times and they never let us know about a cancellation policy. I tried cancelling our rooms for one night and they said that there was a 48 cancellation policy and that they were unable to cancel our rooms. I talked with the manager Julie and let her know what was going on. She was very rude and unpleasant. Come to find out the day I talked to Julie she charged $212.00 to my credit card when I wasn't even there!! I am very disappointed in this hotel and will never stay or think about staying again, they lost my trust!! I feel violated that this lady ran my credit card without my permission. A hotel is supposed to make you feel welcomed not unwanted.

2 Thank Michelle A
, Guest Relations Manager at El Camino Lodge, responded to this review, 5 January 2017
I have just read your review, and I sincerely apologize. I am aware this happened quite some time ago, but we have just recently acquired the hotel and as part of the transition process, we are replying to all the previously written reviews. I are finding them very enlightening. Along with retraining and rebuilding the entire staff, we are stressing "Customer Service". This will never happen at this hotel under the new ownership. We are also replacing all the carpet and furniture. The whole business is receiving a long needed update. We are a work in progress, but the Lobby and Front Desk area, have already been addressed. We have installed a new "check/in" program and have thoroughly trained the clerks, so reservations will never be lost again. We are also changing the name to The Taos Valley Lodge and I do hope that if you are ever in the area again, you will give us a second chance. I'm sure the new owner would welcome the opportunity to speak to you and perhaps, in some way, make this up to you. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us.

Most