“Not a pleasant stay”

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Taos
TX
“Not a pleasant stay”
Reviewed 24 May 2009

I was very disappointed in this Inn. We traveled from New Mexico to Arizona and off all the places we stayed this was the most expensive and the least appealing. Not sure what the offensive smell was but was the smell of urine. I don't believe that any of the hallways or walkways have been power washed in years. Too small, too cramped and outdated furniture, the worst of all beds in a 8 night stay at various. I don't normally write a review however this one had to be written. The staff wasn't inside behind the counter, they were outside smoking.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bstillrtraveler
, Guest Relations Manager at El Camino Lodge, responded to this review, 18 February 2017
I have just read your review and would like to apologize for your bad stay at the hotel. We have just recently purchased the hotel and as part of our transition plan, we are replying to all the reviews of the past and present. We are remodeling and updating the hotel, both inside and out. As it is an older hotel, it is in dire need of a deep cleaning and a lot of TLC. We have been in the hotel business for a long time and we have a lot of great ideas for this place. It does have a lot of potential and we want to take advantage of this. Your might say we're a work in progress, and we still have a long way to go to make it what we know will be a place you will want to return to over and over again. So, hopefully, if you are ever in the area you again, you will give us a second chance and let us know how we're doing. Our new owner would welcome the chance to speak with you and perhaps, in some way, make this experience up to you. Again, thank you for your review, it has been very helpful to us.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Albuquerque
Reviewed 1 February 2009

Looking for good value, I found a bust. The property appeared decent on the internet, but it was disappointing in person. Two words accurately describe it: dirty and old. We were fearful to walk on the carpet without shoes, mold was growing in the shower, and the linens were super thin and suspect. The heating unit was as loud a a truck's engine, and it ran sporadically through the night. I will never stay there, and I feel as if we were ripped off. My advice- don't be lured by an apparent good deal. It's not!

• Liked — Checking out and driving away....
  • Disliked — All of it
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pslucky1
I have just read your review and would like to apologize for your dreadful stay at the hotel. We have just recently purchased the hotel and as part of our transition plan, we are replying to all the reviews of the past. We are remodeling and updating the hotel, both inside and out. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced along with a deep cleaning and fresh paint. It is an older hotel, and needs a lot of work, however, we feel it has a lot of potential. We have been in the hotel business for some time, and we have a lot of great ideas to make this a fine hotel. The entire staff is being retrained and rebuild. Customer Service is our prime directive. It is so important to a business. Hopefully, you will give us a second chance the next time you are in the area. We would like to hear how we are doing. Again, thank you for your review, it has been very important to us.

Guest Relations

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

tucson
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Our college ski club booked our stay here. There was 60 of us here and the snowboarding was great but there was no warm water just cold. When the desk clerk was notified by many of us nothing was done. Yes this is a bargain but at a price! you need a car to get to places for food and activities.

• Liked — zip
  • Disliked — cold water for 3 days
  • Stayed January 2009
2 Thank azinca
I have just read your review and wanted to apologize for your, not so pleasant, stay at the hotel. We have just recently purchased the hotel and as part of the transition plan, we are replying to all the reviews of the past. The hotel is being remodeled and updated both inside and out, so I can safely say, the water issue has been resolved. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced along with a deep cleaning and fresh paint. The entire staff is being retrained and rebuilt, stressing, "Customer Service". Customer Service is so important to a business. Hopefully, the next time you are in the area, you will give us a second chance and let us know how we are doing. Again, thank you for your review, it has been so important to us.

Texas
Reviewed 31 December 2008

I stayed 4 nights at this motel during the Christmas season. We went to Taos to ski. The room only cost $49/night which is unbelievable during anytime of the year, much less during Christmas. Please do not expect a Hilton or Hyatt...but we stayed 4 nights in a clean, comfortable room that was as good as most of your motel chains can offer. The staff was very friendly, the pool and hot tub area was clean, and the continental breakfast was good. (It would be perfect if they would just get one of those waffle machines.) I would recommend Paragon for people on a budget. You get a great rate on the room; you can save money on food, as they have rooms with a mini fridge and microwave; the city bus will pick you up and bring you back from Taos for only $1.00 RT...can't beat that. I talked with several others who were staying there and they all agreed that it was a super place for the price.
D. Brown

• Liked — Great bargain
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank dfb1950
I have just read your kind review and would like to thank you. We have just recently purchased the hotel and as part of our transition plan, we are replying to all the reviews of the past. As this is an older hotel, we are remodeling and updating the hotel, both inside and out. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced along with a deep cleaning and fresh paint. The breakfast area now has a waffle machine and the guests love it. Hopefully you will come and stay with us again the next time you are in the area. Again, thank you for your review, it has been very helpful to us in our new venture.

Diane H
Islesboro, Maine
Reviewed 16 July 2008

I wanted to like this place, they were nice and allowed my dogs. However, the room smelled and the carpet was dirty, but I thought I can cope for the price. But when I turned the bedspreads back and there were bugs in the bed, I gave up on coping. I called the front and told them I could not stay here. While they credited my account they were not happy about it. I felt I had to apologize for leaving vs. them apologizing for the bugs or dirt. I think they are new owners that are trying, but they just do not have it pulled together yet. But if you you want cheap for Taos, this is it and it has good location.

• Liked — Initally nice front desk.
  • Disliked — bugs and dirt and smell
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank tobro
I have just read your review and would like to apologize for your experience at the hotel. I realize you were here quite some time ago, but as we have just recently purchased the hotel, we are replying to all the reviews of the past. We are remodeling and updating the hotel both inside and out. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced along with a deep cleaning and fresh paint. We've been in the hotel business for quite some time and we feel this place has a lot of potential. There is still a lot to do, you might say we are a work in progress. Hopefully, you will give us a second chance the next time you are in the area. We would like your opinion on how we are doing. Again, thank you for your review, it was very helpful to us.

colorado
Reviewed 15 July 2008

After booking on Roadsideamerica.com, the young gals at the hotel desk couldn't find the reservation. Grungy nasties on a pillow greeted me as I lay my head down for a loud night. The noise outside the room started at 2am and lasted about an hour. I talked to the manager in the morning and she said I should let the desk know if it happened the next night....which it did. At 2 am (again...although it was a different group of noisemakers), I called the front desk from the room. The guy who answered said it would be taken care of, but the noise continued. When I called back, he said I would have to just call the police (who is going to call the police for noise outside the hotel room???) Another noise filled night at the Paragon. The "non-smoking room" was also filled with residual smoke. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Only 1 mile from center of town
  • Disliked — LOUD! People working at the desk didn't know much about the area.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank sunsnowgal
parhotels, Manager at El Camino Lodge, responded to this review, 8 August 2008
I am sorry your stay with us was not what it should have been. When I spoke with you that morning I assured you I would speak with the night front desk clerk. I did just that and I am sure there will not be other problems in the future. Please give us another chance to serve you.
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 12 June 2008

We were so impressed with the rate and quality of The Paragon we stayed one night longer than planned.
We received a discounted rate of $49 + tax from a coupon book we picked up at an interstate rest stop. Our room was large, clean and included a fireplace. Breakfast was your basic fare.
Not a Four Seasons by any means, but you will be hard pressed to find a better value in Taos.

• Liked — The rate.
  • Disliked — No complaints.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
I have just read your kind review and wanted to thank you. I realize you were here some time ago, but as we have just purchased the hotel we are replying to all the reviews of the past and present as part of our transition program. It is an older hotel, so we are remodeling and updating, both inside and out. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced along with deep cleaning and fresh paint. We've been in the hotel business for some time now and we feel this one has a lot of potential. Hopefully, you will come and stay with us the next time you are in the area and let us know how we're doing. Again, thank you for your review, it has been very helpful to us.