“Nice Hotel”

Hotel Don Fernando de Taos
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hotel Don Fernando was a nice hotel for the price. We paid about $60 per night and that's a good price for a hotel in Taos. The room was clean although not up to date. Breakfast was included but was a simple continental breakfast. What I liked was the indoor pool and hot tub. The staff was friendly. It wasn't in downtown Taos but was only about a 10 minute drive to downtown. At the time we stayed, we got $10 off with a player's card from the Casino on the room. All in all, it was a good bargain.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Do not stay here! The staff was so rude & offensive that it's hard to believe they're still in business! The breakfast was burnt, spoiled & disgusting. The plates had food all over them & when we asked for plates that were clean they told us we should have stayed at home. Our young children were present & witnessed this treatment. The windows in our room did not close or fit the opening properly. It rained all night & we had a wet room. The bed had bed bugs - which we didn't find until the morning. How disgusting to know we slept in that bed! The pool was so dark that you couldn't see your feet or the bottom of the pool. The front desk staff was so rude when we asked for extra towels & wash clothes. She huffed & said she'd have to go to housekeeping to get them. Less than 1 minute later she came back with them & she acted as if she had to go to the ends of the earth to get them.
DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was our third time staying here to go skiing during new years/Christmas vacation. Swimming pool is not out of this world but big and good enough if you have little ones, last time we stayed they were fixing the Jacuzzi (big minus point, as per my wife) rooms are just that, nothing special but they have been cleaned every time, the lobby area is nice, we have never eaten in the restaurant, they offer a nice complementary breakfast with warm food, a bit repetitive and no fruits. But most definitely better than many other hotels like this one. WIFI in the rooms that we stayed was not good but we were kind of far away from the main building,but we really do not care.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Although the lobby is very attractive, I watched a roach crawl across the floor. Our room was like an oven when we arrived. The living room section had a fireplace, sofa, desk and arm chair, but the sofa's upholstery was covered with blotches of something, I won' guess what. Wallpaper was dirty and peeling in several places. The air conditioner in the living room barely pushed any cool air. The one in the bedroom did nothing to cool, even a little. We asked if they had a room with working air conditioners, and were told, "It's an old building. Sometimes it takes hours to cool down. Later, I asked again and they took me to another room nearby, but that room also had no working AC. They said they would see if they could find a room with AC that worked. After about 15 minutes or so, I guess they finally found one. We moved to it, hoping maybe it would have cleaner conditions, but that sofa looked like the first one. Additionally outdoor hallways were covered in piles of bird droppings. Apparently management doesn't care about cleanliness or functionality. It's a shame, because the property is in a great location, has beautiful treed grounds and could be very impressive! What a sad waste.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Since we had only decided to visit Taos only a few hours earlier, we had no reservations at any hotels. Using our phones to determine pricing, we decided to stop at Hotel Don Fernando to see if they had vacancy. Sure enough, they did, and they do AAA discounts. Very inexpensive.

At check-in and check-out, the ladies who took care of us at the front desk were both nice and courteous.

All rooms are accessed from the outside rather than from an interior corridor, and they're spread out in different buildings on the same property. The lobby and lounge had been one large open area with soaring ceilings, so I was expecting the room to be a bit nicer than it was. Our room was tired and dated, but it did come with a nice mini fridge and microwave! The bathroom, on the other hand... It hadn't been cleaned very well - or at all - as there was still a used bar of soap and a hair in the tub, and the sink area was still marked with dried toothpaste splashes all over the faucet and countertop. Gross.

Thankfully the pillows and bed sheets were clean. And very comfortable, for that matter - we both fell asleep right away.

There is an indoor pool, but we didn't try it out. The hotel is located across the main street from Walmart and Taos Java.

The complimentary breakfast was strange. The pancakes were actually very good, the scrambled eggs were fine, but that was it. Not even anything to drink, including water or orange juice as the pitchers were empty. A half empty jug of warm milk sat there, and there was no cereal to eat it with. We were there for maybe 30 minutes, and never did we see any food or beverage get refilled, nor any kitchen staff we could have notified.

If the bathroom had been cleaner, I would have given it 4 stars. But if the price had been a little higher, I'd have given it only 2 stars.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have never written a review before, this stay changed that. From the moment I walked in things started to go wrong. My 5 year old daughter was performing and dancing in fiestas. We are from Santa Fe. I wanted to make this get away special for her so I made sure to get a hotel with a nice pool.... Well that's all we got. Lady on phone said "check in any time! We'll probably get you in before 3." Well we got there at about 2:55, there were probably atleast 7-8 people back behind the desk/little room next to front desk. Took a long time for anyone to acknowledge me let alone check me in.

One room or 2? They asked. 2 rooms... I had booked them about 3 weeks ahead... I needed 2 rooms. Well by the time they had finally checked us in we were almost late to my daughters performance. They said we couldn't go to the room yet because it still wasn't clean. I had to get my daughter ready in the lobby bathroom. Disgusting, dirty, no TP in stalls.

We then go to the plaza and her performance. Just assume room will be ready by the time we get back. Well we were wrong. We had a sheet and 1 pillow on each bed. Toilet was dirty and didn't flush, dust on almost everything, TV was completely useless/static in every channel. No fridge or microwave. Call to front, she apologizes, says she'll send maintenance over with blankets but that's pretty much all she could do because house keeping had left for the day...... OMG would've left at that point if it was an option. My grandmother is elderly and it would've been to much to find another place.

Well we go to pool, had a great time. Come back to give my daughter a shower or bath... What do you know.... ICE COLD WATER. Yep. So my poor baby got a freezing cold sponge bath at 10 pm. Couldn't let her sleep with the chlorine on her. Needless to say I will never recommend this hotel. I'll be adding pictures if there is an option. Employees try to be helpful and courteous. My hunch, HORRIBLE MANAGMENT. I'm such a laid back person, I don't let much get to me. But this whole experience was completely unacceptable. How dare you not put your well paying guests first. Just taking our money and not putting any of it back into the hotel to make it nicer or run better. I hope something changes and soon..... Don't come here!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Gmd2008
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The lobby area is very nice. The rooms are clean but worn out. The couch and carpet looked disgusting with all the stains. They use a heavy chemical to cover up the stink. Windows are dirty and cracked.

Room Tip: Not sure of any advantage with any rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple