We are travel consultants and arranged the trip with young children and teens in our family, and friends with yound children. The draw to the hotel was both the larger room (suites) and HEATED Pool. With kids...pool has to be on the top of the list. We "swam" once...and by that I do not mean I did. As an adult, I have this quirky thing about being comfortable when I swim....however, the pool was polar bear cold and the kids would "bravely" outdo each other prior to "walking" back to the spa for "warmer" water.
After being on the mountain, boarding/skiing all day the spa was a draw for us adults...let me just say, I entered it not too! I opted for the shower, and believe me, I got my dollar value out of that!
The rooms were not vacuumed or cleaned (to our hotel cleanliness standard) and the couch/chair needed blankets to sit on it. Thankfully, it was really just for the night, as the mountain took most of our time. We also had neighbors who could not read the no-smoking signs on their doors; thus, we endured their smoke over night - that was a huge problem.
We did make the best of the situation and roasted marshmellows and hotdogs in the wood burning fireplaces. That was fun - just don't forget the pictures!
Upon check-out, I will say the staff worked with us on the refund due to our expectations and their lack of fulfillment. Will we return? I do not know. There is a bar and restaurant onsite - due to time and kids, we used neither, but it looked frequented and they were watching the games several of the nights. However, I believe it closed at 10pm. Seems a bit early...? Hotel location was good, pleasant outdoor appearance, and quiet area...just wasn't kept with the best standards for hotel ratings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Don Fernando will be temporarily closed for business until further notice. We will post updates here and on our Facebook account. Sorry for any inconvenience and we look forward to re-opening soon. Bargain affordable Taos hotels, 1.5 mi south of plaza on Rt 68, the main street, free breakfast, indoor pool, long term stay, 1 and 2 bedroom suites, fireplaces, plus Stray Catt II Restaurant casual dining - traditional Northern New Mexican plus American favorites.Don Fernando Taos Hotel - sitting on the Camino Real - Route #68, 1.5 miles from the heart of town - the plaza,Now under new management:- with indoor swimming pool- free hotel breakfast- extended stay accommodation- pets welcome - lots of green space for walking- hotel layout is that of small versions of the Taos Pueblo "look" - set in grass courtyards and under trees.- 112 rooms, many with sleeper sofas or two twins, arranged in six courtyard like pavillions- Plus 12 suites with fireplaces - one and two bedrooms plus sleeper sofa - superior for a family get-away- 2 large boardrooms- restaurant space for catering functions- all rooms are in "pods" of 22 rooms - built to look like the Taos Pueblo- built around a small pueblo-like courtyard- Two floors onlyHeated Pool All Year Round at our Taos Hotel. We are the only Taos Hotel with an indoor pool all year round. It is a standard oblong pool but we do have blow-up toys, wading pool, water games and a family resort feel. Our pool is open year-round, heated, and under glass. As the one indoor pool at a Taos hotel, we see many of our guests with families taking a break here in Taos, taking advantage of our affordable one and two bedroom suites with fireplaces and, then, after a day of exploring mountains and gorges, spending the evening at the pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Don Fernando de Taos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Don Fernando De Taos
- Don Fernando De Hotel Taos
- Hotel Don Fernando De Taos New Mexico