“Looks great...then you get to your room!”

Hotel Don Fernando de Taos
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Council Bluffs
“Looks great...then you get to your room!”
Reviewed 18 July 2010

This hotel was another one of our "wins" on priceline. When I checked here on reviews, I was expecting a full blown dump.

At checkin, the lobby looked very nice. there were a ton of people enjoying happy hour ($2.50 margaritas people!). We were excited, this place wasn't as dumpy as we were expecting. We enjoyed happy hour before going to our room and met some great people.

Then....we got to our room. GROSS! My friend who is high maintenance for most things isn't on hotels. It just a place to sleep in her opinion. I don't agreee. She was ok with the room.

the room is vastly outdated, so outdated you can't tell if this place is clean or not. I did like the large vanity for two ladies to spread out our toiletries and such.
The bed is probably a few decades old, so don't expect a good night sleep. The pillows are yuck. Literally falling apart (see photos).
I had a GIANT BEETLE land on me in the room. When my friend swatted it off, because I was so freaked, we searched the room and couldn't find it.
We turned on the heat because they had the room so cold. Turned it off immediately, it spelt like rotten flesh.
The free breakfast is ok, we only ate it one morning on our trip, because it was a repeat of the day before and not worth it.

I do want to say that Michelle at the front desk was MORE than helpful. She was always at the front desk, I asked her if she ever goes home and she laughed!

For the price ($55/night with free breakfast), I teeter on whether I recommend. My friend said she would. I guess it depends on your preferences. if you are gone exploring all day like we are and don't need high maintenance amenities, then I would recommend at this price point. Otherwise, I would not recommend. I would stay here again if they updated the rooms, but not otherwise.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Unfortunately, I was stuck staying at the "2 star" Don Fernando Hotel in Taos after a successful bid on Priceline. However, I was very disappointed to discover that this "2 star" hotel should not even be a 1 star. The first room we were given was absolutely disgusting - there were hairs all over the bathroom, the non-smoking room wreaked of smoke, our sheets were dirty, there were plastic pieces in the sheets, no mattress pads, and the room had obviously not been dusted in some time. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a refund since I had gotten the room off Priceline. As a compromise, they gave me a different room, which was a bit cleaner; however, the t.v. in this room was broken.

In summary, this place was probably nice 15 years ago, but hasn't been touched in many years. Do yourself a favor and find some place nicer to stay in Taos.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Taos hotels

Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I am about to check out of Don Fernando after two nights. While I have stayed in better places, it has been quite satisfactory. I was correct in my guess - it is an old Holiday Inn on a large scale, done up in Spanish decor. The name was changed in 1975. We know that places built in the decade or two before that were not exactly the best designed in terms of materials. True, some aspects of the property are a little dog eared. But having said that, my room was clean and comfortable, the staff friendly and helpful, the breakfast adequate, and I enjoyed a benefit comedy show in the restaurant the other night. What is particularly attractive is the wonderful display of New Mexican artwork throughout the public areas. Would I stay here again? Sure. ( and the WiFi worked pretty well, too! ) Also, it has a much larger than usual swimming pool that was not freezing, plus a hot tub.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank EAZELIFF
New Mexico
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Got there, had to wait more then 15 minutes to get a room, even when we had reservations, then the keys didn't work. Even after maintenance said every thing was okay, you had to play and hope your door would open. Opened the sofa sleeper, no blankets or sheets and the middle support was broken, had to use the table to support one side. No kleenex in the holder, had to use toliet paper since after trying to get the front desk, housekeeping, any number listed on the phones, only got the front desk by calling the emergency number, at that point forgot the tissue and got sheets for sleeper. Tried to make coffe in the room in the morning, after over one hour and only getting to the 1 cup level of a 4 cup coffee maker, went to the front desk to ask if I could get some coffee they told me to go to the resturant. The line was out the door, and when I tried to find out if I could just get a cup of coffee, told I had to wait in line. Several people in line said tey had been there for more then 15 minutes. (FASTER to go to another resturant, and alot friendly service.) Then there is check out, had to wait more then 8 minutes because only one at the desk and was making reservations, I was the first one in line with 3 behind me. SOMETHING great, was the excellent bartender, she was very friendly and helpful, even know I didn,t order a drink just snacks for the room. She is NUMBER ONE - A Big Thanks to her.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Yukon, Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 January 2010

We are travel consultants and arranged the trip with young children and teens in our family, and friends with yound children. The draw to the hotel was both the larger room (suites) and HEATED Pool. With kids...pool has to be on the top of the list. We "swam" once...and by that I do not mean I did. As an adult, I have this quirky thing about being comfortable when I swim....however, the pool was polar bear cold and the kids would "bravely" outdo each other prior to "walking" back to the spa for "warmer" water.

After being on the mountain, boarding/skiing all day the spa was a draw for us adults...let me just say, I entered it not too! I opted for the shower, and believe me, I got my dollar value out of that!

The rooms were not vacuumed or cleaned (to our hotel cleanliness standard) and the couch/chair needed blankets to sit on it. Thankfully, it was really just for the night, as the mountain took most of our time. We also had neighbors who could not read the no-smoking signs on their doors; thus, we endured their smoke over night - that was a huge problem.

We did make the best of the situation and roasted marshmellows and hotdogs in the wood burning fireplaces. That was fun - just don't forget the pictures!

Upon check-out, I will say the staff worked with us on the refund due to our expectations and their lack of fulfillment. Will we return? I do not know. There is a bar and restaurant onsite - due to time and kids, we used neither, but it looked frequented and they were watching the games several of the nights. However, I believe it closed at 10pm. Seems a bit early...? Hotel location was good, pleasant outdoor appearance, and quiet area...just wasn't kept with the best standards for hotel ratings.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank bubafett
texas
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Room was very clean, Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great at a fair price. Will stay there again next time as location is superb for a tourist.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
rio rancho, nm
Reviewed 21 September 2009

If you're interested in a hotel that loses reservations, has front desk staff dressed inappropriately and are more interested in carrying on a personal phone call than answering guests' questions, has cracked windows coming out of their tracks, toilets that are cracked and don't flush, ice machines that are out of order and rooms that don't get cleaned, then this is definitely your hotel of choice!

The hotel looks nice from the outside and the layout (many individual buildings with 4 rooms each instead of a traditional single building) is interesting. The grounds were kept up in general and the room seemed to be clean at first glance. We checked in late on a Friday night and after having to show the desk clerk (dressed in an old t-shirt) our Hotwire print out proving our reservation, were assigned to a room in the very last building at the far edge of the property. Had we wanted to use the pool we would have had to walk outside all the way to the main building then in through the lobby past the restaurant; very inconvenient and poorly planned.

My husband tried to locate ice machines and the first 2 were both out of service; ice was only available at the machine by the lobby. Our toilet tank lid was cracked and had been glued back together but we were in need of a plunger because the toilet wouldn't flush. We spent the day in Taos and when we arrived back at the room it was evident that housekeeping hadn't cleaned the bathroom thoroughly because the toilet still had proof it wouldn't flush...sorry. When we called for a plunger we were told it couldn't be left in the room because of the risk of theft...eeewww!

When I went to the lobby for ice I tried to ask the desk clerk when the pool closed in the evening and she was very irritated I was interrupting her personal phone call. We wanted fresh air in the room and tried to open the windows and the one on the left was cracked across the pane and wouldn't budge, but the one on the right darn near came out of its tracks because it was set in so loosely!

We stayed here because we'd had a credit with Hotwire we needed to use so our out of pocket was under $10.00 for both nights but in our opinion we still grossly overpaid for what we got. Save yourself the aggravation and go someplace much closer to the plaza like Taos Inn or one of the B&B's close by. We'll NEVER stay here again and would never recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple