This hotel was another one of our "wins" on priceline. When I checked here on reviews, I was expecting a full blown dump.
At checkin, the lobby looked very nice. there were a ton of people enjoying happy hour ($2.50 margaritas people!). We were excited, this place wasn't as dumpy as we were expecting. We enjoyed happy hour before going to our room and met some great people.
Then....we got to our room. GROSS! My friend who is high maintenance for most things isn't on hotels. It just a place to sleep in her opinion. I don't agreee. She was ok with the room.
the room is vastly outdated, so outdated you can't tell if this place is clean or not. I did like the large vanity for two ladies to spread out our toiletries and such.
The bed is probably a few decades old, so don't expect a good night sleep. The pillows are yuck. Literally falling apart (see photos).
I had a GIANT BEETLE land on me in the room. When my friend swatted it off, because I was so freaked, we searched the room and couldn't find it.
We turned on the heat because they had the room so cold. Turned it off immediately, it spelt like rotten flesh.
The free breakfast is ok, we only ate it one morning on our trip, because it was a repeat of the day before and not worth it.
I do want to say that Michelle at the front desk was MORE than helpful. She was always at the front desk, I asked her if she ever goes home and she laughed!
For the price ($55/night with free breakfast), I teeter on whether I recommend. My friend said she would. I guess it depends on your preferences. if you are gone exploring all day like we are and don't need high maintenance amenities, then I would recommend at this price point. Otherwise, I would not recommend. I would stay here again if they updated the rooms, but not otherwise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Don Fernando will be temporarily closed for business until further notice. We will post updates here and on our Facebook account. Sorry for any inconvenience and we look forward to re-opening soon. Bargain affordable Taos hotels, 1.5 mi south of plaza on Rt 68, the main street, free breakfast, indoor pool, long term stay, 1 and 2 bedroom suites, fireplaces, plus Stray Catt II Restaurant casual dining - traditional Northern New Mexican plus American favorites.Don Fernando Taos Hotel - sitting on the Camino Real - Route #68, 1.5 miles from the heart of town - the plaza,Now under new management:- with indoor swimming pool- free hotel breakfast- extended stay accommodation- pets welcome - lots of green space for walking- hotel layout is that of small versions of the Taos Pueblo "look" - set in grass courtyards and under trees.- 112 rooms, many with sleeper sofas or two twins, arranged in six courtyard like pavillions- Plus 12 suites with fireplaces - one and two bedrooms plus sleeper sofa - superior for a family get-away- 2 large boardrooms- restaurant space for catering functions- all rooms are in "pods" of 22 rooms - built to look like the Taos Pueblo- built around a small pueblo-like courtyard- Two floors onlyHeated Pool All Year Round at our Taos Hotel. We are the only Taos Hotel with an indoor pool all year round. It is a standard oblong pool but we do have blow-up toys, wading pool, water games and a family resort feel. Our pool is open year-round, heated, and under glass. As the one indoor pool at a Taos hotel, we see many of our guests with families taking a break here in Taos, taking advantage of our affordable one and two bedroom suites with fireplaces and, then, after a day of exploring mountains and gorges, spending the evening at the pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Don Fernando de Taos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Don Fernando De Taos
- Don Fernando De Hotel Taos
- Hotel Don Fernando De Taos New Mexico