“Treated rudely and unfairly and horrible customer service”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Gallup, New Mexico
“Treated rudely and unfairly and horrible customer service”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

WE were attending a family reunion and had made reservations months in advance with the understanding that all our family members would be able to stay on the same floor in close proximity to each other. At the time my other family made reservations at the Comfort Inn, there were no rooms for myself so I booked across the street at the Hampton Inn. Two days before one of my brothers was unable to attend the reunion, so I jumped on his reservation and was told no problem, and assumed his confirmation number with no problem. However, before assumping the confirmation number, and cancelling my cheaper rate hotel, I wanted to make sure that this would mean I would be in the room contingent to my other brother. I was told no problem and booked the room. On the day before I was contacted by the manager who was very rude from the minute I answered the phone, I was told that they could not honor my request because the people who were in the room that I requested had decided to stay another night and that I would be placed in another wing, on another floor of the motel. They have a policy of not moving a person from a room in they are in if they decide to stay another night. I told her this was unacceptable as I cancelled my reservations at the Hampton at a cheaper rate because I understood that I would have a room next to my family. The manger then told me she didn't think it was a big deal, all i had to do was walk across the hotel to be with my family and I told her that was not the point. I could have walked across the street from the Hampton Inn if that was the case. She then told me to book a room at the Hampton Inn (!!!!). I told her if it was possible I would, but the fiestas were in town that weekend and all the hotels were booked solid. After some prolonged silence and more rude exchanges she proceeded to hang up on me. To add injury to insult (and I can't help but wonder if it was retaliation) our room was not cleaned that day and we came back to the motel to find towels on the floor, overflowing trash cans and unmade beds. When I pointd this out to the desk clerk he told me all the cleaning staff had gone home and all they could offer were clean towels. When I addressed this with the manager the next day she offered me a 15% off stay on our next visit which is worthless because I will never go back there again!! To be fair I called corporate office and got a 10% refund but very much disagree with a policy that puts a customer who at the last minute decides to stay another night above someone else who had resevations for this two months in advance. It is just plain unfair. At the very least, good customer service would after I was told that I couldn't be in the room next to my famly, that a portion of my room cost would be comped because of the inconvenience, instead of being treated like I was breaking some sort of law by that manager. The only bright light was Omar the clerk who did his best to be helpful and was pleasant.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Max_n_Jynx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Silver City, New Mexico
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The room need a little updating, but made up for it in its size and cleanness. The room had a little separate area with a tv where people could hang out if they do not want to go to sleep the same time as their companion. The staff is very friendly and helpful in navigating the town. I also like the breakfast. We will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The first floor has some rooms that have direct access to the pool area, which is nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 977Syd12
athens, ga
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Overall, I was very pleased with my stay here. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were large and comfortable, and the value was excellent. However, it is clear that the hotel has seen it's fair share of customers over the years. The carpets in the hallway are well worn as well as most of the areas in the room. They weren't dirty, just well used. The breakfast is about average for the brand, but it is well stocked and attended to. So I can't complain. Like I said, overall I was very happy with my stay here and would use them again. I just hope that they can renovate the place sooner rather than later.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Cedar Park, Tx
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed one night and was very pleased with the location in Taos - convenient to everything Taos had to offer. Plenty of room and the breakfast was great. Very friendly staff, which gave us good ideas for eating out and sight seeing. The rooms were quiet and spacious.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
United States
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This hotel has pluses and minus. I'm sure the staff is doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

The rooms are large; mine had two televisions. It would be a great locale to bring children, as it seems to have had many in there already. It is well-worn, well-used. You would want to use footwear as the carpeting look suspiciously alive. The other fabric and furnishings and bath facility are what could be described as "distressed". They need replacing to be considered anything other than shabby.
Coffee needs upgrading badly. It is awful.

As I say, if you have a handful of kiddies and want a place to spread out, this is it. Otherwise, pray that there is another hostelry here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

This was a welcome stop after a long trip. The reception staff was quick, efficient and helpful. The rooms were outstanding in cleanliness and size and the air conditioning worked great which is critical in the summer months. The breakfast was good and we will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My usual chain was not available so I booked two nights here after a disappointing night at another hotel. Very spacious rooms, ours had a King and Queen and a pull-out sofa bed. Refrigerator was very cold to get drinks ready for the next day. A lot of the light fixtures in the room did not seem to work well and the wall switch configuration was confusing. Good wireless. Basic pool outside was not very clean. Breakfast was the usual eggs/waffles/yogurt. Can I just say that I hate the Comfort Suites soap? Hard to hold on to. My concern in the last two hotels I have stayed at in Taos: all stairwell (fire) doors are propped open. This is a fire code violation.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family