“Hidden Gem”

Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I found the Sierra Grande Lodge and Spa to be a little hidden oasis. There's not much to the town but this little lodge and spa are so relaxing, clean, updated, and beautiful that it makes up for it. The building is beautiful. The rooms are lovely. The spa is amazing. The mineral baths are magical. The front desk staff is accommodating, professional and very friendly. The house keeping staff was so friendly and polite. The spa technicians I had the pleasure of booking were both amazing at what they do. I had some particular issues and both of them were very knowledgeable on what to do and didn't mind working on me even in the midst of illness, which was so unexpected and aided in my healing greatly. My sessions were both extremely relaxing and effective. Relative to big city spa prices, theirs were very affordable and I was able to upgrade and add services easily.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TexBecks0113
SierraGrandeLodge, Front Office Manager at Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

We are very happy that you found us. Thank you for taking the time to review us and let others know about your experience here. We look forward to being able to provide a wonderful experience each time that you are here.

There are newer reviews for Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa

Reviewed 26 December 2013

First, this is a great property. It is an historic building and the well head for the hot springs of TorC. I have been staying here at least 10 years and look forward to the getaway from Albuquerque for a good soak and an excellent spa treatment. It's one of those places I wouldn't review before because I wanted to keep a gem all to myself.

All that being said, if this is your first time visiting this property you will love it. If you have been here before, you'll know right away that something has changed when you notice that all of the staff are wearing little gold name badges like they work for a commercial hotel and the general manager has a business card on the desk front and center. Their Trip Advisor Rating is right there at the front desk, too - something this hotel never would have felt like they had to put out in a frame before.

Although I appreciate that things do change over time including ownership, first and foremost I miss the old staff. They knew me and my husband by name and over time shared some of the quirky and interesting facts of the property with us. I doubt the new staff knows about the hidden images in the mural in the large indoor bath or that certain guests (including me) have found themselves with a case of goosebumps after a ghost visited their room. I miss the chimes on the patio and the breakfast items that were handmade by one of the staff members - handwrapped muffins in baskets (and you lost me big time with the new acrylic pastry cases and instant oatmeal). The scones are still there but not as good as they once were. I miss the books on the big table in the entry by the most comfortable sofa I know of that beckoned you to sit quietly and browse their pages and pictures and laze away a quiet afternoon.

The property has (I hope only temporarily) lost its sense of relaxation and ease. The new staff - trying hard - are harried and somewhat short (with the exception of Maya who made sure ahead of time that the room we wanted was ours) more interested in "processing" your check in or request or checkout - and moving on. The guests have changed too - more young children and teenagers than I've ever seen on a visit to this property, and not quiet - adults or children. On my way to my soak a child was vomiting in the lobby while parents chatted loudly with friends. At the same time another guest was complaining about parking and that she wasn't sure how she was going to get out in the morning. This is not contributing to my "extreme relaxation" that they tout on the signs left by the original owners in the spa.

And really, I don't need an email soliciting a Trip Advisor review after my stay worded like we're old and best of friends.

If you are a guest here - please enjoy what this property has to offer. I'm willing to give it another chance and wish the new owners well as they make the transition. I am sure that it isn't easy. But I hope they don't waste this opportunity by turning this into another mainstream generic hotel.

I hope they can find the spirit for themselves of a place I used to love to visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sunflowermary
SierraGrandeLodge, Front Office Manager at Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Thank you for your recent return visit to the Sierra Grande Lodge. We appreciate your feedback, as we are always looking to improve every guest’s experience. We are very sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations, and we hope you will consider returning in the future. Our wish is to provide all of our guests with a relaxing and wonderful experience.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This time we stayed 2 nights including Christmas Eve 2013. We loved every minute of our stay. The staff is exceptionally courteous and accommodating. We loved our soaks (which are included in our stay). This time one of us had a fabulous massage with Dietrie - she is excellent. For 6+ years, we have visited the Sierra Grande Lodge at various times of the year and over this period it seems to only be improving. The Lodge is immaculately clean and well maintained, yet still preserves its historic charm. The decor is lovely. There are all kinds of creature comforts: wonderful spa tubs, great beds and bedding, comfy robes, quiet rooms, the evening fire crackling in the lounge fireplace. We also like that included in our room stay is the high grade continental breakfast. It is offered in the bright breakfast room on ground floor with access to the patio. The baked goods are sourced from a local bakery. (If avoiding gluten is a concern, they offer gluten-free choices. The staff invites guests to make that request on booking.) We did observe, at this point, that the sugar quotient in breakfast is a bit high, but fresh fruit is available and evens things out. Overall, we enjoyed the whole experience and felt it was well worth it: the environment is beautifully designed to provide a relaxing breather. (Please excuse the long review - we just returned home - after a great morning at the Lodge, then the rest of the day in the Bosque del Apache sighting cranes, geese and hawks - even a bald eagle on our way down from Albuquerque. And, we feel like we've been on a magical vacation.)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Harrisre1
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for 3 days on a business trip and felt at home from the first day. My downstairs room was small but restful had the most wonderful smell from the handmade soaps. The private mineral soaks were very relaxing and the staff was accommodating and pleasant. Only suggestion would be to vary the breakfast. By day three I was really ready for something else (and hot also). Well done. I will be back!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank whitewaterchick
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Walking distance to local restraurants and stores in T or C NM. Spa is wonderful with a natural hot springs. Provided with the room is a private daily 1 hour soak with a choice of either indoors or out.. The breakfast is part of the room price and you can either sit in the dining room or on the patio with views of the garden and mountains.

Room Tip: Bottom floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank doyler2d2

So glad that you enjoyed the mineral spring water here at the Sierra Grande Lodge. Just a correction, a private 30 minute bath soak is included each day of your stay with us. We have three indoor and one outdoor tub that all book by appointment. Our geothermal waters run between 102-107 degrees. We look forward to your return to our Lodge and Spa!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

we had racked up a lot of driving miles over the previous 3 days and needed to relax. We found Sierra Grande on Trip Advisor and took a chance. We had never done a spa. It was also freezing outside. Walked through the doors to a blazing fireplace. The host lined us up witha nearby restaurant and an outdoor, private hot tub. We were in the right place. We spent 2 nights there. The spa facilities are fantantastic. We had several soaks and a massage. The room was comfortable but basic. Not a lot of places to put stuff and just an old (non-flat screen tv) It did have a very nice 2 person tub. The veranda could have been great if it hadn't been cold and rainy. Atypical weather for T or C. Not a lot going on in T or C but there were 2 very good restaurants in walking distance and the Geronimo Museum is worth a take if you're in western history.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dana P
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I've been to T or C many times, in some fun but very funky hotels; Sierra Grande is definitely the town's most luxurious.The rooms are lovely, quiet and peaceful. We really enjoyed the private baths, a combo of indoor and outdoor, and I had a great facial. We had two rooms - one on the patio for my husband and me, one across the hall for our 25-year-old son. I preferred the patio room. Though the patio which was a little too cool to use on Thanksgiving weekend, the sun through our windows was delightful. Best of all, every member of the staff was warm, friendly and accommodating. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the patio are a few bucks more but the sun is lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank CarmenOfSF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truth or Consequences
Comfort Inn & Suites Truth or Consequences
Comfort Inn & Suites Truth or Co...
#5 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
Holiday Inn Express Truth or Consequences
Holiday Inn Express Truth or Con...
#7 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
#1 of 1 in Williamsburg
Pelican Spa
Pelican Spa
#3 of 6 in Truth or Consequences

Been to Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!